Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 10-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default UFC bombshell: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach 'TUF,' fight in April

From MMAFighting.com
Quote:
The match which didn't happen at UFC 151 is coming next April.

In a Tuesday bombshell, The Los Angeles Times broke news that UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen will serve as coaches on the next season of "The Ultimate Fighter," then meet in a coaches' fight on April 27.

UFC president Dana White told the Times' Lance Pugmuire that Jones' elbow injury, suffered in his Sept. 22 bout against Vitor Belfort, will require extensive physical therapy, which will put him on the sidelines for the foreseeable future.

"This should be a good one," White told the Times. "Jon has accepted the fight. He knows the fans want to see that fight."

By putting Jones on "TUF," White kills two birds with one stone: He keeps the champion busy while hyping what could be the biggest-selling bout of 2013, while also using star power to revive a listing "Ultimate Fighter" franchise. Last Friday's edition of TUF drew just 624,000 viewers on FX, the lowest rating in the show's 16-season history.

Jones vs. Sonnen was initially proposed as a replacement main event for UFC 151 on Sept. 1 after Jones' scheduled challenger, Dan Henderson pulled out less than two weeks before the fight due to a knee injury. Jones declined the bout, then White pulled the plug on the entire fight card, the first event cancelation in Zuffa history.

Last week, though, Jones sent out signals he would be receptive to a bout with Sonnen, tweeting "The more I realize how bad the fans want me to fight Sonnen the more I am beginning to disregard whether he deserves it or not."

Sonnen responded on Twitter: "You don't give. I TAKE. Remembah that, Bonesie-boy."

White indicated to the Times that Sonnen will not fight between now and April 27, meaning his planned Dec. 27 bout with Forrest Griffin appears off.

No venue was announced for the April 27 bout.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Happy birthday to me, I guess!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Student of the Sport

That was so 40 min ago

http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9989
Old 10-16-2012, 08:05 PM

dana white: i don't do freak shows
Old 10-16-2012, 08:08 PM

proves dana is a business man first and mma fan second ... TUF is his baby and he needed to do something to keep it alive ... sure chael will have some good one liners against jones, who won't respond to anything but i don't think it will be enough to rescue the show ...
Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 AM

Farcical decision, Sonnen lost his last fight moves up in weight and his mouth rather than his talent (or lack of) get him an immediate title shot. What happens when Jones destroys him? does he go up to HW and get smashed by JDS
Old 10-17-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnp View Post
What happens when Jones destroys him? does he go up to HW and get smashed by JDS
Nah, he'll drop to 170 & get smashed by GSP
Old 10-17-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetar View Post
Nah, he'll drop to 170 & get smashed by GSP
Old 10-17-2012, 07:13 PM

Hendo is pissed, just tweeted Dana, guess I should give up training to put on a fight for the fans to enjoy and just go to talking school
Old 10-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnp View Post
Hendo is pissed, just tweeted Dana, guess I should give up training to put on a fight for the fans to enjoy and just go to talking school
I would be too....he is the one deserving of the title shot. Sonnen/Jones isn't until April because of Jones' injury, I'm sure Hendo would have been ready and willing to fight then. I think Dana is a little mad at Hendo for his timing of declaring his injury. Plus he is in Singapore right now which would have interfered with starting the TUF taping.

I agree with RNC, Dana is trying to find a way to save TUF and Chael may be the right guy for that. I don't think Hendo would be a good choice for TUF. He would be a great coach, but I don't think he brings any excitement to the show like Chael can.

Dana asked the fans if they wanted this fight and they got it. This isn't the first time he has put a fight together like this, Lesnar/Couture was put on because people wanted to see Brock fight.

The UFC is a business, get used to these things happening. Top money making fights will win over deserving fighters. Watch and see with the MW division when Anderson doesn't defend the title for awhile.