Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-24-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Something we can all agree on! Oh wait, where's rnc...

Yeah, he'll reap some boos for sure, Bon, but maybe the fair-weather fans won't still be hatin' on him by the time he fights again, whenever that is. I'll try to stay in hater mode though...

Well, I'm not advocating hate, but for sure he deserves some loud boos.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:43 AM
Student of the Sport

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/24...o-save-ufc-151

Quote:
Aug 24, 2012 - Anderson Silva was close to saving UFC 151.

According to UFC president Dana White, Silva, the middleweight champion, personally called him just moments after he announced on Thursday that UFC 151 was canceled after Jon Jones turned down a fight against Chael Sonnen. Silva, who admitted he wasn't in the best shape, volunteered to fight on eight days' notice in Las Vegas against another light heavyweight fighter. Unfortunately, he was a few hours late as the promotion had already decided to scrap the event.
White said he never expected Silva to offer his services to fight Jones and appreciated the call.

Jones will now meet Vitor Belfort for the light heavyweight title on Sept. 22 in Toronto after Lyoto Machida turned down the fight due to not having enough time to train.
The story is conflicting, but I would assume that it was that Silva would fight someone at LHW as he would likely not make MW in time. Jones obviously wouldn't take this so it would have to be someone else. Guess they could have done Silva/Sonnen 3.

Last edited by kevint13; 08-24-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:18 AM

I just happened upon these. Here's the link to the site if you can't see both images below:

http://www.titocouture.com/category/funny-pictures/

BONES NEW NIKE SLOGAN?

THE NEW MAIN EVENT FOR UFC 151...

Last edited by Bonnie; 08-24-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/24...o-save-ufc-151

The story is conflicting, but I would assume that it was that Silva would fight someone at LHW as he would likely not make MW in time. Jones obviously wouldn't take this so it would have to be someone else. Guess they could have done Silva/Sonnen 3.
Kudos to Anderson, that was a big offer. Obviously, he too hated to see the event cancelled and all the other fighters affected.

Bon, I love that first image you posted!
(I can't see the second one though)

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 08-24-2012, 10:43 AM

This is the one thing I can't stand about MMA...the 'what have you done for me today' attitude of most fans. Nobody's done what Jones has done in the last 18 months, fighting and defeating a murderer's row of ex champions, and allowing plenty of other fighters the opportunity to make good bank fighting on the same cards.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jones should have accepted fighting Chael, as the situation was far more dire for Chael than it would've been for Jones. However, Dana is being a huge douche for laying the cancellation of the entire card at Jones' feet. It's up to UFC management to put together a card, that isn't built on a house of cards, so to speak. Didn't they just have a card a few months ago where NONE of the original line up actually made it to the night of the fight? They managed to salvage that one, and could've done it this time too. I just think Dana has a huge hate on for Greg Jackson, and took this opportunity to throw blame on him & his fighter. I'd bet a month's pay he didn't tell them he would cancel the entire card if he didn't take the fight.

And lets' not forget, the kid is 23 years old. Yeah, he trusted his experienced coach's advice for taking a fight...isn't that what he's supposed to do?

Not to mention he didn't say no to fighting Machida in 30 days. Not too many other fighters would do that, either.

Last edited by wavetar; 08-24-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Hailey's Dad

I think Jones should have taken the fight but I blame Dana for the card being cancelled. The card sucked. Go back to having at least 3 or 4 quality fights on each card, and losing one fight won't ruin the entire card.

I'd prefer fewer cards with more quality. It's too expensive to buy a PPV for one worthy fight every month.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetar View Post
This is the one thing I can't stand about MMA...the 'what have you done for me today' attitude of most fans. Nobody's done what Jones has done in the last 18 months, fighting and defeating a murderer's row of ex champions, and allowing plenty of other fighters the opportunity to make good bank fighting on the same cards.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jones should have accepted fighting Chael, as the situation was far more dire for Chael than it would've been for Jones. However, Dana is being a huge douche for laying the cancellation of the entire card at Jones' feet. It's up to UFC management to put together a card, that isn't built on a house of cards, so to speak. Didn't they just have a card a few months ago where NONE of the original line up actually made it to the night of the fight? They managed to salvage that one, and could've done it this time too. I just think Dana has a huge hate on for Greg Jackson, and took this opportunity to throw blame on him & his fighter. I'd bet a month's pay he didn't tell them he would cancel the entire card if he didn't take the fight.

And lets' not forget, the kid is 23 years old. Yeah, he trusted his experienced coach's advice for taking a fight...isn't that what he's supposed to do?

Not to mention he didn't say no to fighting Machida in 30 days. Not too many other fighters would do that, either.
Hey wave, stop making sense and get on the hate train already...

Old 08-24-2012, 05:25 PM
LESS TALK MORE ACTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
I think everyone on the card should train, go in, and draw the name of their opponent at the door!

Like bull riding yeehaw
Old 08-24-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNESSEAN View Post
Like bull riding yeehaw
Is it wrong of me to hope JBJ draws Bodacious?

Old 08-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
In the same token maybe frankie edgar should adopt a wwe persona and start talking about fighters and hell get a title shot vs GSP without winning a fight at 170... That is way worse for the sport actually...

The ufc could of actually found a fighter who you know has won a fight at 205 the last few years to step in but there just trying to make money.
noone had a problem when they did that bwith lesnar...and very few people care about the fact the UFC fast tracks people to titles now...nothing displayed by the management in this case is out of the norm...try to keep up