Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I saw that one. It's a tough situation.

Here are some others of fighters on the card and just from fighters in general:
http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/23...-151-cancelled

I liked what Joe Lauzon said, not that he was on the card but he puts a lot in perspective for those fighters on the card not named Jon Jones:

Quote:
UFC 151 is cancelled. Jon Jones was supposed to fight Dan Henderson, but Dan had to pull out because he tore his MCL and his knee is unstable even walking. There is no way that Dan can fight. Chael Sonnen has volunteered to fight Jon Jones, someone that EVERYONE else turned down because its Jones and its short notice… and Jon turned down Chael. As a result, the UFC was forced to cancel the entire show.

Not only has this screwed over all the fans that bought tickets, non refundable airfare, took off work, made arrangements, etc… but think of all the fighters. Fighters that put in full camps, flew people in that helped them trains, etc. By the time I am actually fight, I spend close to 20k between corners, flights, expenses, coaches, etc… and then to have the whole show cancelled because ONE guy didn’t want to fight. This ONE guy that had trained an entire camp, who was the CHAMP and at the top of his weight class, who was going to fight someone who didn’t do the camp, and was fighting UP a weight class.

I have always been a big Jon Jones supporter… but I would be FURIOUS if this happenned to me and I was on the card. To call is scorched earth wouldn’t do it justice.
http://joelauzon.com/blog/2012/08/sc...rth/#more-2665
Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 PM

JL calls it straight... this ruins any support I had or would have for JBJ. Period.

I don't understand why the entire show has to be cancelled. Can't they find someone to fight chael as a replacement fight of JBJ and Hendo?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
its about keeping the integrity of the sport ... i

Holy Shi!!!!!!

JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA

Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I saw that one. It's a tough situation.

Here are some others of fighters on the card and just from fighters in general:
http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/23...-151-cancelled
Thanks for that link, it was really interesting. I only saw Ben Henderson and King Mo supporting Jones. He's not too popular with the other fighters (or Rogan, for that matter).

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 08-24-2012, 01:31 AM

this should teach the ufc not to dilute the cards anymore ... they got caught doing the same thing they gave boxing crap for, putting one or two big fights on cards with a bunch of not so popular fights ... came back to bite them in the ass ... can't blame jones for this ... can't blame jackson for this ... ufc are the only ones to blame
Old 08-24-2012, 01:44 AM

UFC is blamed for cancelling, and JBJ/Jackson are blamed for ducking fighters.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:49 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
this should teach the ufc not to dilute the cards anymore ... they got caught doing the same thing they gave boxing crap for, putting one or two big fights on cards with a bunch of not so popular fights ... came back to bite them in the ass ... can't blame jones for this ... can't blame jackson for this ... ufc are the only ones to blame
I agreed with your entire post until the bolded bit. Yeah, it's a crappy situation & the UFC put themselves in a bind, but there was still an option. It was a bad option, a ridiculous option, a laughable option, an emergency option, but an option nonetheless. Jon chose to turn down that option.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:02 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Here's how I see it:

Take it as a given that the UFC's diluted their shows by a ridiculous amount. This summer should be obvious proof that they've over-saturated the market & stretched their personnel too thin.

Take it as a given that Chael Sonnen is not a legitimate contender for the UFC LHW & will not be unless he beats Forrest & at least one guy in the top 5 after that.

No one disputes those two points. If the UFC walked up to Jon after he beat Dan at UFC 151 & said "Congratulations, you're still the champ. Your next challenger is Chael Sonnen!!!", I would be 100% OK with Jon laughing them out the building.

This is an entirely different situation, however. Because of the UFC's schedule, all the true top 205ers are locked up in other cards right now. If they were to pull one of them, it would cause the collapse of that later card. Add on top of that the issue of those guys being able to make weight in 7 days. The UFC didn't turn straight to Chael like they'd been hoping to have an excuse to back-door him into a match against Jon, they went through every option they had at 205 first. They got "No" everywhere they turned. Chael was obviously a desperation choice, but he was at least an option. He's a named opponent, he'll be able to make the weight, pulling him from his previously-contracted bout won't endanger the card, & he's able to make the most of the limited media time preceding the event.

Rather than defend his belt, as is his Championship duty, Jon Jones walks away. He leaves his company with no ability to continue with the event, therefore leaving his fellow fighters with no ability to earn the paycheck they depend on & the fans in the lurch. While the UFC have stacked a precarious house of cards, it was Jon Jones that followed Greg Jackson's advice to knock it over.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:12 AM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Rather than defend his belt, as is his Championship duty, Jon Jones walks away. He leaves his company with no ability to continue with the event, therefore leaving his fellow fighters with no ability to earn the paycheck they depend on & the fans in the lurch. While the UFC have stacked a precarious house of cards, it was Jon Jones that followed Greg Jackson's advice to knock it over.
So are you Chuck Mindenhall or do you just think alike?

http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/i...d-went-missing

Quote:
Jones and his trainer Greg Jackson (who advised him) just squandered millions of dollars for the company and left a million people in the lurch. Fans, fighters, media and the promotion alike.

There was no way the main event could be extracted this late without the whole house of cards falling down.
Plagiarizer
Old 08-24-2012, 02:16 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
So are you Chuck Mindenhall or do you just think alike?

http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/i...d-went-missing

Plagiarizer
Chuck Mindenhall wishes he was cool as me.