Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-23-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
when you are in your 40's and are able to keep your test levels like they were in your 20's .. it sure helps a lot .. even randy was able to fight at a high level well into his 40's cuz of it ... but i still hope he gets better and gets his shot
I don't like the idea of any fighter taking the stuff or anything else, but I blame the people who've made/allowed these "exceptions/exemptions" to the rules more than I blame the fighters. Don't allow it period! That way if they're caught, there are no excuses.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
people can blame bones all they want... People should blame dana and joe silva for putting together a fight card thats not ppv worthy... seriously one fight goes down and the entire card gets canceled... UFC ppvs have been becoming so watered down its not even funny... They deserve what they got
There's no way to save it at all? I wonder what the other fighters who were on the card think about Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
never even thought about that .. good one .. thanks for the back up!!!

LOL
Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 PM

Can someone please explain to me how a fighter going against the wishes of the company he works for is good for the sport? I mean if JBJ can do it why not other champions. Why should Junior dos Santos fight Velasquez, Velasquez has only won 1 fight since his last loss. Is Nate Diaz really worthy of a title shot, I mean of his last 3 wins only Cerrone has a win streak longer than 1 when Diaz beat him. Maybe Henderson should just turn down that fight until he feels that Diaz has proved himself enough. Should Condit really fight GSP? Maybe Condit should tell the UFC that he wants GSP to win a fight before he fights him, that way GSP can prove that he is back to his old self. I usually dont agree with Dave but in this case I do. If a fighter refuses to take a fight they should be fined, if a player does not show up to their NFL team they can be fined. I think the fighters should be fined their base pay if they refuse a fight. It's a joke to think that a champion has the right to pick who he defends the title against. If Jones wants to pick who he fights he should open up his own MMA company.

^this is what perfection looks like
Old 08-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
There's no way to save it at all? I wonder what the other fighters who were on the card think about Jones?
Some are not happy....while others say they aren't mad at Jones. This card was really banking on Jones/Hendo and Koscheck/Ellenberger. When Koscheck got hurt that was the first blow and this stuff today just ended it all.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:47 PM

I think the champ should HAVE to take fights that come up like this. Code of honor... integrity? Taking the fight would meet with both of those. Matt Hughes, Tito, and others prove what integrity and honor stands for in this case.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Can someone please explain to me how a fighter going against the wishes of the company he works for is good for the sport? I mean if JBJ can do it why not other champions. Why should Junior dos Santos fight Velasquez, Velasquez has only won 1 fight since his last loss. Is Nate Diaz really worthy of a title shot, I mean of his last 3 wins only Cerrone has a win streak longer than 1 when Diaz beat him. Maybe Henderson should just turn down that fight until he feels that Diaz has proved himself enough. Should Condit really fight GSP? Maybe Condit should tell the UFC that he wants GSP to win a fight before he fights him, that way GSP can prove that he is back to his old self. I usually dont agree with Dave but in this case I do. If a fighter refuses to take a fight they should be fined, if a player does not show up to their NFL team they can be fined. I think the fighters should be fined their base pay if they refuse a fight. It's a joke to think that a champion has the right to pick who he defends the title against. If Jones wants to pick who he fights he should open up his own MMA company.
In the same token maybe frankie edgar should adopt a wwe persona and start talking •••• about fighters and hell get a title shot vs GSP without winning a fight at 170... That is way worse for the sport actually...

The ufc could of actually found a fighter who you know has won a fight at 205 the last few years to step in but there just trying to make money.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
In the same token maybe frankie edgar should adopt a wwe persona and start talking about fighters and hell get a title shot vs GSP without winning a fight at 170... That is way worse for the sport actually...

The ufc could of actually found a fighter who you know has won a fight at 205 the last few years to step in but there just trying to make money.
But from what Greg Jackson said it would not have mattered who the UFC got, he did not think 3 days was enough time for Jones to be ready. If Jackson had come out and said that they wanted a more deserving opponent then I would have at least understood that, but he didn't.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
Some are not happy....while others say they aren't mad at Jones. This card was really banking on Jones/Hendo and Koscheck/Ellenberger. When Koscheck got hurt that was the first blow and this stuff today just ended it all.
I know one who is not happy

http://www.bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/0...ews-35132.html

Old 08-23-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Preach it, brother!

+1

Quote:
Yes, Kevin mentioned earlier how JBJ's decision would financially hurt the other fighters on the card. I'm glad Charlie B. tweeted about it.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
The problem with that is with only 8 days to get ready, most 205 fighters would have a seriously hard time making the weight. This is why the 185 guys are in the picture, they can make the weight on short notice without killing themselves.

Quote:
I think the fighters should be fined their base pay if they refuse a fight.
What base pay? Isn't each fight it's own individual contract? Maybe I'm wrong, but I swear I've heard Dana saying he couldn't comment on a specific rumoured fight 'until the contract was signed'. So in that case, his base pay is subject to the terms of the contract, ie: fighting the person named in the contract. Chael wasn't on the contract, so there's no 'base pay' to fine Jones with. Now, if there were clauses in the contract which stipulated he has to fight whoever is offered in case of injury, that would be a different story. Obviously though, there wasn't.