Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
So Chael wasn't the only one he refused? I guess it's all that integrity... lol

Wishing Dan the best!

I bet Dana is turning the air blue!
I will correct myself, Weidman offered to take the fight, not sure if he was ever offered the fight by the UFC.

I understand why Jones didn't take the fight, it was a risk that he wasn't prepared for. But when is a fight or any sport ever exactly how you prepare for? This was a guy last week that said that he didn't want to fight Machida because he was risky and the PPV numbers from the first fight were low. Yet now he will have to fight him in a month and lucky for him the undercard is good so he can get paid. I am sure the UFC would have compensated him fine to fight Chael next week. To me there were too many reasons to take the fight than not.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Its about time the UFC started to issue financial penalties to fighters who get injured. I know its technically speaking not their fault, but they need to learn that at heart what we have here is a basic retail system.

We pay the UFC to deliver a product. The UFC charge the subcontractors to deliver the product. If that product doesnt appear, the UFC dont deliver, and that means its inconvinient for fans. Frankly...its a mute point whose to blame...the fact is...a product is not delivered.

I have never known quite so many accidents happen...you can almost guarentee now that the main event of an original advertized card wont ever be on the card...thats shocking, from athletes who need to know that safety matters.

I personally think some of these people just get reckless, or worse...arent injured at all. Get them to pay financially and you'll start to see a difference...but I DO think this should ONLY be applied to those fighters on the MAIN card

Secondly...its about time the UFC made fighters opponents manditory. If you turn down a fight, you should also have to pay a fine...anyone, in any "normal" job cant just refuse to do what they are employed to do.

...and if a Champion ever refuses, IMHO strip him of the title. It may be on short notice, and that might suck, it might effect the overall outcome...but welcome to the real world, where people end up with shyte circumstances all the time and have to make do...can you imagine if with one person on holiday, and one person off sick...I decided to refuse to do set up all on my own at work?? I would be disciplined.

Its frankly not good enough...the UFC need to start dealing with these issues, because those at the top now think that THEY own the UFC and not the other way round, and the UFC seem frightened to act because they dont want to jepodise their draws and lower their income...what they fail to see is, that the moment a fighter does this, they are already putting off lots of fans, and upsetting those who planned to go watch them live.

Having met Jones...I would be suprised if he, personally, decided to reject this fight. I suspect that his manager, and his fight camp have told him to, and Jones trusts them. Greg Jackson is a bloody law unto himself...did you EVER see Patrick Miletich act like this? EVER? Jackson has alot to answer for..IMHO he's no better then Armando Garcia...we all remember him from the CSAC afew years ago dont we...basically, a trouble maker...when will he learn that he HARMS his own fighters by advising them to fight safe, and getting them to pull out of fights short notice...better they go in a fail...how can someone who trains world champions no so bloody little about fight fans??? Its astounding
Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 PM

I would love to be around a world filled with people on trt long before I would want to drive on the same streets as a drunk. But then again he has that integrity doesn't he?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
no .. from what i know .. weidman was challenged by vitor belfort and he said no, he wants to fight anderson .. so you can't turn down a fight and then ask for a title shot, not get that, and ask for a title shot in the weight class higher ..
This is where you and I think differently. It is not about the title shot and who is deserving. If this was the fight they planned for 3 months from now I would absolutely agree with Jones. The UFC was in a bind and they got Chael to step up and take the fight and save the card. Heck, Chael probably would have fought him without the title on the line. He is a company man and Jones isn't, it is that simple.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Its about time the UFC started to issue financial penalties to fighters who get injured. I know its technically speaking not their fault, but they need to learn that at heart what we have here is a basic retail system.

We pay the UFC to deliver a product. The UFC charge the subcontractors to deliver the product. If that product doesnt appear, the UFC dont deliver, and that means its inconvinient for fans. Frankly...its a mute point whose to blame...the fact is...a product is not delivered.

I have never known quite so many accidents happen...you can almost guarentee now that the main event of an original advertized card wont ever be on the card...thats shocking, from athletes who need to know that safety matters.

I personally think some of these people just get reckless, or worse...arent injured at all. Get them to pay financially and you'll start to see a difference...but I DO think this should ONLY be applied to those fighters on the MAIN card

Secondly...its about time the UFC made fighters opponents manditory. If you turn down a fight, you should also have to pay a fine...anyone, in any "normal" job cant just refuse to do what they are employed to do.

...and if a Champion ever refuses, IMHO strip him of the title. It may be on short notice, and that might suck, it might effect the overall outcome...but welcome to the real world, where people end up with shyte circumstances all the time and have to make do...can you imagine if with one person on holiday, and one person off sick...I decided to refuse to do set up all on my own at work?? I would be disciplined.
Its frankly not good enough...the UFC need to start dealing with these issues, because those at the top now think that THEY own the UFC and not the other way round, and the UFC seem frightened to act because they dont want to jepodise their draws and lower their income...what they fail to see is, that the moment a fighter does this, they are already putting off lots of fans, and upsetting those who planned to go watch them live.
Having met Jones...I would be suprised if he, personally, decided to reject this fight. I suspect that his manager, and his fight camp have told him to, and Jones trusts them. Greg Jackson is a bloody law unto himself...did you EVER see Patrick Miletich act like this? EVER? Jackson has alot to answer for..IMHO he's no better then Armando Garcia...we all remember him from the CSAC afew years ago dont we...basically, a trouble maker...when will he learn that he HARMS his own fighters by advising them to fight safe, and getting them to pull out of fights short notice...better they go in a fail...how can someone who trains world champions no so bloody little about fight fans??? Its astounding
+1
Old 08-23-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
This is where you and I think differently. It is not about the title shot and who is deserving. If this was the fight they planned for 3 months from now I would absolutely agree with Jones. The UFC was in a bind and they got Chael to step up and take the fight and save the card. Heck, Chael probably would have fought him without the title on the line. He is a company man and Jones isn't, it is that simple.
come on .. jones ain't a company man? he signed with ufc apparel before he signed with nike and did a bud light commericial with dana white!!!!

chael even offered jones his purse .. LOL .. sure, chael is a company guy, but he will take any publicity he can get, and a shot at jones is publicity, win or lose .. many guys at mw, woulda jumped at the chance .. koscheck wanted to fight vitor and anderson at 185 .. doesn't mean it makes sense ..
Old 08-23-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
So it's all been the TRT? Huh, doesn't seem to have helped Chael all that much.

I'm still wishing Dan the best!
when you are in your 40's and are able to keep your test levels like they were in your 20's .. it sure helps a lot .. even randy was able to fight at a high level well into his 40's cuz of it ... but i still hope he gets better and gets his shot

people can blame bones all they want... People should blame dana and joe silva for putting together a fight card thats not ppv worthy... seriously one fight goes down and the entire card gets canceled... UFC ppvs have been becoming so watered down its not even funny... They deserve what they got
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
come on .. jones ain't a company man? he signed with ufc apparel before he signed with nike and did a bud light commericial with dana white!!!!

chael even offered jones his purse .. LOL .. sure, chael is a company guy, but he will take any publicity he can get, and a shot at jones is publicity, win or lose .. many guys at mw, woulda jumped at the chance .. koscheck wanted to fight vitor and anderson at 185 .. doesn't mean it makes sense ..
Did you listen to the conference call? Dana wanted nothing to do with the UFC endorsing fighters, so that point is mute.

So to save a fight card, including helping those without the lucrative endorsements, isn't something a champion should do? Again, this is just where you and I disagree.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
people can blame bones all they want... People should blame dana and joe silva for putting together a fight card thats not ppv worthy... seriously one fight goes down and the entire card gets canceled... UFC ppvs have been becoming so watered down its not even funny... They deserve what they got
never even thought about that .. good one .. thanks for the back up!!!

LOL