Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Student of the Sport

Default Jon Jones: 'I Don't Want to Fight Lyoto Machida'

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/18...-lyoto-machida

Quote:
Jon Jones: 'I Don't Want to Fight Lyoto Machida'

By Ariel Helwani - Video Reporter and Writer

Follow @MMAFighting on Twitter, and Like MMA Fighting on Facebook.

Aug 18, 2012 - If Jon Jones gets by Dan Henderson at UFC 151, he won't be salivating at the opportunity to fight Lyoto Machida again.

Jones, the UFC light heavyweight champion, told ESPN.com on Friday that he has no interest in fighting Machida a second time, despite UFC president Dana White announcing following UFC on FOX 4 that Machida was the No. 1 light heavyweight contender.
"I don't want to fight Lyoto Machida," Jones said. "He was my lowest pay-per-view draw of last year.

"No one wants to see me fight Lyoto Machida. I don't want to fight Lyoto again. Lyoto is high risk and low reward.

"He's a tough fighter, but no one wants to buy that fight.

"Between (Mauricio) Shogun (Rua), (Quinton) Rampage (Jackson) and Rashad (Evans), Lyoto was my lowest draw. Why would I want to fight someone where it's a lose-lose situation? I won't make money on it. And he's a tricky fighter."

Jones defeated Machida via standing guillotine choke at UFC 140 in December. His next title defense will be on Sept. 1 against Henderson, and he pointed out in the same article that he isn't looking past "Hendo."

Machida has only won once since losing to Jones last year. He knocked out Ryan Bader earlier this month in Los Angeles.
Makes sense....got to make some cash to fix the Bentley.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:40 PM

Sounds like Jones has some bad memories of that first round against Lyoto. I'm not big on his complaining 'he won't make money', but at least he acknowledged Machida isn't a guaranteed win.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:43 PM

This could be all wrong but it seems to me that JBJ's ego is growing exponentially with the length of time he holds the belt. How about a little gratitude, Jon, and leave the match-ups to Dana and Joe Silva?

I like JBJ very much, he's been an exciting fighter to watch. But after his drunken crash and some of the things he's said recently, I'm not feeling the tingle up my leg like I did before...

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 08-18-2012, 07:35 PM

He needs to realize that part of being the champion is fighting whoever the UFC puts in front of you, doesn't matter who it is. He needs to nut up and get ready for Machida.

EDIT : He seems to be looking right past Hendo.....BAD IDEA!

Last edited by Liddellfan; 08-19-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellfan View Post
He needs to realize that part of being the champion is fighting whoever the UFC puts in front of you, doesn't matter who it is. He needs to nut up and get ready for Machida.
You're right. Can you imagine Matt acting like this? It would never happen.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 08-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Hughes fanboy

Tricky fighter = risky fight = he doesn't like risk = he doesn't want a challenging fight = he's afraid this time he loses the belt.

To me that says he saw Machida out think him too much for his comfort. This means he can see a potential upset, and he probably think Machida will have improved vastly on his mistakes from last time; while he is fresh out of new ideas.

Still, I agree with everyone else - you fight the contenders fight.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 08-18-2012, 09:01 PM
7X Prediction Champ !!!!!

This is not how a champion should act. Worrying about pay per view buys instead of defending the title against the best. I am real curious what Matt thinks of this. There really is not anybody else in 205. Give him Rich Franklin that would be a better buy rate.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:36 PM

Thinking about it, all his talk about PPV buys and money is making him sound eerily similar to Floyd Mayweather...............

The more I think about it, the more I would like to see Jones get KTFO.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Hughes fanboy

As much as I like Jones his cockiness does make me want to see him eat a piece of humble pie. He doesn't call the shots here, he does his job, they do theirs.

Shut up and fight.

Chris nailed it on the head.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 08-19-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
The more I think about it, the more I would like to see Jones get KTFO.
Maybe Henderson will make Jones' wish come true...hit him with one of those KOs that knocks you out then wakes you back up, then Dan can legitimately divebomb him and wish him "sweet dreams"!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
You're right. Can you imagine Matt acting like this? It would never happen.
I was thinking of Matt too, how he always fights whoever they put in front of him. I think I liked JBJ better before he became champion, now he just seems full of himself.

Last edited by Bonnie; 08-19-2012 at 12:18 AM.