Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 03-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Chris F

Default Ready for big Tax hike?

Cap-and-trade - 'Largest tax increase of all time'

Pete Chagnon - OneNewsNow - 3/30/2009 6:00:00 AM

Is the carbon dioxide that humans exhale a public danger? Yes, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

The EPA has released an endangerment finding on carbon dioxide. The finding will allow the gas to be regulated under the Clean Air Act, something the Act was not intended to do when it was enacted over 30 years ago. Aggressive cap-and-trade measures are being debated on Capitol Hill and, if enacted, are rumored to rake in trillions of dollars for the federal government and raise the cost of living for Americans by thousands of dollars.

Dan Simmons, the director of state affairs at the Institute for Energy Research, calls cap-and-trade the largest backdoor tax in U.S. history.

"In the budget it said $646 billion. They then are telling people on Capitol Hill that it is going to be $1.3 [trillion] to $1.9 trillion," he points out. "That will make it the largest tax increase of all time of all American history and probably all world history."

He says the problem with cap-and-trade is that it makes all people poorer today in order to tackle an alleged problem tomorrow. Ben Lieberman with The Heritage Foundation says cap-and-trade would usher in a permanent recession.

"We might never really have a full recovery if we have to live with these tremendous constraints on affordable energy use," he adds, "so we would be talking about exactly the kind of thing that we are worried about now -- job losses, high energy costs -- these things being exacerbated and staying that way for years and years."

Lieberman believes that the EPA may be using the finding to force Congress into passing legislation instead of leaving the regulation to the EPA.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Next thing you know, the EPA is going to tell all of us to stop breathing. Everytime we exhale, we release harmful CO2 into the atmosphere.

I can see it all now "Plant a tree and stop breathing!"

It'll be the downfall of American business and industry. Simply move it to cheaper countries with cheaper labor and who don't enforce junk science to mandate legislation.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Chris F

The economy is already in the crapper and now Obama want to do this. Real smart. Obama will be a one term wonder.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F
Obama will be a one term wonder.
If we're lucky, not even that. There's always impeachment.

Just more evidence of how completely out of touch the Environmental Nazis are.

Global Warming isn't even based on real science and yet they're prepared to completely overhaul the entire planet and destroy the economic systems for some vague threat that hundreds of scientists believe to be a complete lie.

Honestly, Environmentalists won't be happy until they find some way to kill off 90% of the human population on the planet.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Just like the theme of the Texas GOP 2008 bumper sticker..."Obama for Change? That's all you'll have left in your pockets!" At the rate he's going, many people will be lucky to have change in their pockets.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:45 PM
bradwright

you guys are just dripping with hate,
just thought i would point that out.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright
you guys are just dripping with hate,
just thought i would point that out.
It's not hate, it's love. Love for my country and the frustration that I feel when I hear about how Obama is dismantling everything by putting prosperity before freedom.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
It's not hate, it's love. Love for my country and the frustration that I feel when I hear about how Obama is dismantling everything by putting prosperity before freedom.
Amen
Old 03-30-2009, 07:31 PM
que

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR

Honestly, Environmentalists won't be happy until they find some way to kill off 100% of the human population on the planet.
fixed it for you /\/\

it really comes down to what your spiritual/religious belief is. if you are a religious person then you will put humans first and earth second. if you are non-religious than you will most likely put earth first and humans second. non-religious people view humans as a bacterial infection to the earth because we are destroying the planet by using up it's resources and abusing our own powers to help destroy it with pollution, nuclear waste and things like that.

there needs to be a balance between the two viewpoints. humans are not the most important, and earth is not the most important. they are both equally important because they are both dependent on each other. without one the other would not exist. environmentalists should realize that using up a planet's resources and destroying it a bit is not necessarily a bad thing. on the flip-side of that, people should also realize that we cannot keep needlessly abusing the earth for stupid reasons because human beings will die as a species if we continue to destroy the earth. it's all about a balance.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Next thing you know, the EPA is going to tell all of us to stop breathing. Everytime we exhale, we release harmful CO2 into the atmosphere.

I can see it all now "Plant a tree and stop breathing!"

It'll be the downfall of American business and industry. Simply move it to cheaper countries with cheaper labor and who don't enforce junk science to mandate legislation.
Well the British Government is trying Waste Taxes...and limiting the amount of waste you can leave for the council to pick up

yes...we already pay council tax for that