Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-31-2012, 05:48 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Jon Jones Sentenced in DWI Case, Avoids Any Jail Time

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
Jul 31, 2012 - UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was sentenced Tuesday morning in his DWI case stemming from a May 19th car crash where Jones ran his vehicle into a utility pole in Binghamton, New York in the early morning hours.

The UFC champion was fined $1,000 and will have to install ignition interlocks on all of his vehicles. Jones will also be required to complete a victim impact panel within 90 days. A New York resident, Jones also had his driver's license suspended for six months. Pressconnects.com was the first to report the news.

In late May, Jones pled guilty to a misdemeanor charge of driving while intoxicated. Sentencing was delayed on two occasions so Jones could have more time to complete his court-mandated drug and alcohol evaluations.

In his only official public statement released in July, Jones expressed remorse and regret over the incident. "Mr. Jones wishes to express the following to his fans, friends, and, most of all, his family: By pleading guilty on May 29, Mr. Jones accepted responsibility for his actions. This process has been a learning experience for this young man. He is remorseful for his conduct, but thankful for the opportunity to accept responsibility and to grow as a person. This experience has motivated Mr. Jones to achieve his maximum potential both professionally and personally."

However, the light heavyweight champion also sent an informal message on Facebook in May to friends and supporters that expressed frustration at the criticism he faced in the wake of the arrest. "It has literally been sickening to have so many people try to kick me while I'm down. At the same time, I totally understand, I gave them the leeway to. I screwed up, big time. Just needed to say thank you to all you guys for being amazing friends/supporters," a portion of the message read.

With the incident behind him, Jones is free to continue his UFC career without obstruction. He defends his light heavyweight title against Dan Henderson at UFC 151 on September 1.