Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Evacuation Times

I re-watched a film called "Flood" recently, about what would happen to London if at high tide and in bad weather the Barrier broke.

I wonder...anyone know exactly how long it would take to Evacuate a large Scale city?

I mean...supposing you had to evacuate a City like San Fransisco, or New York, or something? How long would that take? I know London has substantially MORE people then either one of those cities, but it would give me a rough idea.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:58 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn

I re-watched a film called "Flood" recently, about what would happen to London if at high tide and in bad weather the Barrier broke.

I wonder...anyone know exactly how long it would take to Evacuate a large Scale city?

I mean...supposing you had to evacuate a City like San Fransisco, or New York, or something? How long would that take? I know London has substantially MORE people then either one of those cities, but it would give me a rough idea.
I don't think London is larger than NYC .. not even including the metro areas .. but, i guess if they really wanted to, they could evac in a day or so .. not like new orleans after katrina i hope
Old 03-24-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:

That would depend how many people parked boats in their driveways.

If Al Gore is correct, in our lifetime, we will get to see it happen to NYC. But that's IF it were to happen. (He uses "if" about 50 times in his presentation).
Old 03-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
I don't think London is larger than NYC .. not even including the metro areas .. but, i guess if they really wanted to, they could evac in a day or so .. not like new orleans after katrina i hope
As I understand it London has slightly more Population, if you include all London Boroughs. New York has a larger Serface area.

Which effects an Evacuation more? More people in a small city, or less people in a large city.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
That would depend how many people parked boats in their driveways.

If Al Gore is correct, in our lifetime, we will get to see it happen to NYC. But that's IF it were to happen. (He uses "if" about 50 times in his presentation).
London would go first....its on a natural flood plane
Old 03-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Depends on how fast the waters carried peoples away.

Once that happened.. the city would be evacuated.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
Depends on how fast the waters carried peoples away.

Once that happened.. the city would be evacuated.
Well I dont know much about what New York is built on...is it below sealevel? Is it around any major Rivers (I mean Rivers large enough to host as inland ports) What is the decline of the sea floor off the coast? Is it shallow and slow, or is it steep? Is it steep enough to collapse, slip if a small amount of extra water adds pressure onto it??

What sea defense does New York have to prevent flooding, ward of high tides? what is their maximum proficency?

With London, if there was a high-tide and a storm (forget rise in sealevel, this is at CURRENT sealevel) and the Barrier breaks....The centre of London would Flood to the top of lampost levels within....well...moments, Areas most effected would include Lambeth, Southwalk, Westminster, London, Docklands, Bermondsey, Queyside, Wapping and Greenwich... All of them would be under water within the time it takes for Water to flow...almost instantly
Old 03-25-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
London would go first....its on a natural flood plane
Yeah, but Al Gore didn't show Britain, he just did a demonstration of Long Island that, "IF" all the polar ice caps were to melt, Long Island and most of the rest of NYC would be under water. Once again, IF.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Chuck

Quote:

9 minutes.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Yeah, but Al Gore didn't show Britain, he just did a demonstration of Long Island that, "IF" all the polar ice caps were to melt, Long Island and most of the rest of NYC would be under water. Once again, IF.
So he's only going on sea level. Well..obviously if the sea level rises, it will flood. But some places are already below sea level, like London. LOL

The thing about NYC is that you'd have plenty of time. The Ice melts at a rate, the sea level rises slowly. by the time the Island was submerged, noone would be living there anymore. Now London is different. There would be no warning...just a crack in the barrier, and it would be like opening a window in a submarine