Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 03-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default The Lent Thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPBdIYU-AX8

Its an Introit, often used as a processional during Lent. Whats known as a "litany" which is a Liturgical Prayer often chanted in some respect. Its very beautiful. I hope you enjoy it. Its Anglican taken from the US Episcopal Church

I'll try to post some more lent music in this thread so we can begin to prepare ourselves for the feast of the Ressurection
Old 03-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBIA44ENaso

A similar Litany from the Eastern Orthodox Church (dont worry, its shorter and more...lively ) The only word I recognise is Gospodi Pomiluij, which is what the Choral Response is. Put frankly, it means the same thing as "Kyrie Elison"

Its truely the extent of my knowledge in Russian hahahaha i'd like to know who sung the doxology though, and what the wording for that might be

Last edited by Tyburn; 03-10-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Lightbulb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF3T0UNlFZE

As one who has slept the Lord has risen And rising he has saved us. Alleluia

Old 03-25-2009, 05:25 PM
CAVEMAN

Thanks for sharing Dave! I actually grew up in the Episcopal Church and remember the litany. The church I went to is one of the oldest churches in the area. See link: http://www.episcopalalton.org/grounds.htm

They had a huge pipe organ and the acoustics in that building were awesome! I can honestly say I miss the music!

I quit going to the Episcopal Church when I was 23 and started attending a fundamental bible preaching church. The Episcopal Church here in America is in a "world of hurt" right now, theologically speaking. You can probably still find a few that still preach from the bible, but for the most part they have abandoned the Word of GOD and have replaced it with the book of common prayer. My mom and siblings stayed in the church a while even after I left. They made every opportunity to stand for truth, but eventually they "shook the dust off their sandals" so to speak! There was a faction(my family included) within the church that wanted to start a bible study and vacation bible school for kids. The church leaders voted it down. And it didn't stop there, myself and others were called fanatics and bible thumpers! I thought that was the weirdest thing coming from people who claimed to be Christians.

Sadly, it was not until the LORD saved me at 23 years of age that I understood some of the common prayers and rituals of the Episcopal Church. The Nicene Creed actually made sense to me, accept for the last part that says we acknowledge one baptism for the forgivness of sins.

I spent 23 years in that church, was even "confirmed", and yet did not have a true relationship with Christ. I wonder how many more are within the Episcopal Church here in America who are just like I was? Going through all the motions without a real relationship with Christ.........
Old 03-25-2009, 06:21 PM
mikthehick

This was interesting Dave. Actually, most Charasmatic churches don't even know the standard church seasons....Christmas, Epiphany, Lent, Easter, Pentacost, and Advent....

I do still practice the old Lutheran ways a bit, not to the extent I did as a kid, but I did give up ice cream for lent....I'm not even eating it on Sundays....
Old 03-25-2009, 06:25 PM
County Mike

How the Irish Sacrifice for Lent

An Irishman moves into a tiny hamlet in County Kerry, walks into the pub and promptly orders three beers. The bartender raises his eyebrows, but serves the man three beers, which he drinks quietly at a table, alone.

An hour later, the man has finished the three beers and orders three more. This happens yet again. The next evening the man again orders and drinks three beers at a time, several times. Soon the entire town is whispering about the Man Who Orders Three Beers.

Finally, a week later, the bartender broaches the subject on behalf of the town. "I don't mean to pry, but folks around here are wondering why you always order three beers?"

"Tis odd, isn't it?" the man replies. "You see, I have two brothers, one went to America, and the other to Australia. We promised each other that we would always order an extra two beers whenever we drank as a way of keeping up the family bond."

The bartender and the whole town were pleased with this answer, and soon the Man Who Orders Three Beers became a local celebrity and source of pride to the hamlet, even to the extent that out-of-towners would come to watch him drink.

Then, one day, the man comes in and orders only two beers. The bartender pours them with a heavy heart. This continues for the rest of the evening. He orders only two beers. The word flies around town. Prayers are offered for the soul of one of the brothers.

The next day, the bartender says to the man, "Folks around here, me first of all, want to offer condolences to you for the death of your brother. You know-the two beers and all.

The man ponders this for a moment, then replies," You'll be happy to hear that my two brothers are alive and well. It's just that I, meself, have decided to give up drinking for Lent."
Old 03-25-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
How the Irish Sacrifice for Lent
An Irishman moves into a tiny hamlet in County Kerry, walks into the pub and promptly orders three beers. The bartender raises his eyebrows, but serves the man three beers, which he drinks quietly at a table, alone.
An hour later, the man has finished the three beers and orders three more. This happens yet again. The next evening the man again orders and drinks three beers at a time, several times. Soon the entire town is whispering about the Man Who Orders Three Beers.
Finally, a week later, the bartender broaches the subject on behalf of the town. "I don't mean to pry, but folks around here are wondering why you always order three beers?"
"Tis odd, isn't it?" the man replies. "You see, I have two brothers, one went to America, and the other to Australia. We promised each other that we would always order an extra two beers whenever we drank as a way of keeping up the family bond."
The bartender and the whole town were pleased with this answer, and soon the Man Who Orders Three Beers became a local celebrity and source of pride to the hamlet, even to the extent that out-of-towners would come to watch him drink.
Then, one day, the man comes in and orders only two beers. The bartender pours them with a heavy heart. This continues for the rest of the evening. He orders only two beers. The word flies around town. Prayers are offered for the soul of one of the brothers.
The next day, the bartender says to the man, "Folks around here, me first of all, want to offer condolences to you for the death of your brother. You know-the two beers and all.
The man ponders this for a moment, then replies," You'll be happy to hear that my two brothers are alive and well. It's just that I, meself, have decided to give up drinking for Lent."

[
Old 03-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN
Thanks for sharing Dave! I actually grew up in the Episcopal Church and remember the litany. The church I went to is one of the oldest churches in the area. See link: http://www.episcopalalton.org/grounds.htm

They had a huge pipe organ and the acoustics in that building were awesome! I can honestly say I miss the music!

I quit going to the Episcopal Church when I was 23 and started attending a fundamental bible preaching church. The Episcopal Church here in America is in a "world of hurt" right now, theologically speaking. You can probably still find a few that still preach from the bible, but for the most part they have abandoned the Word of GOD and have replaced it with the book of common prayer. My mom and siblings stayed in the church a while even after I left. They made every opportunity to stand for truth, but eventually they "shook the dust off their sandals" so to speak! There was a faction(my family included) within the church that wanted to start a bible study and vacation bible school for kids. The church leaders voted it down. And it didn't stop there, myself and others were called fanatics and bible thumpers! I thought that was the weirdest thing coming from people who claimed to be Christians.

Sadly, it was not until the LORD saved me at 23 years of age that I understood some of the common prayers and rituals of the Episcopal Church. The Nicene Creed actually made sense to me, accept for the last part that says we acknowledge one baptism for the forgivness of sins.

I spent 23 years in that church, was even "confirmed", and yet did not have a true relationship with Christ. I wonder how many more are within the Episcopal Church here in America who are just like I was? Going through all the motions without a real relationship with Christ.........
Well dont forget a lot of the Book of common prayer is just the Bible, divided up into service plans. Its the standard we use throughout the Anglican Church. Its quite common for Anglicanism to have an emphasis on liturgy and ceremony rather then teaching. They just arent very good at teaching.

A strong trait in Anglicanism is to have teaching separately in "home groups" But I dont know why any church would vote down setting up some kinda Bible Study group. As with all denominations, it differs from church to church I suppose.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:43 PM

quick Mike!
tell another joke

[
Old 03-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikthehick
This was interesting Dave. Actually, most Charasmatic churches don't even know the standard church seasons....Christmas, Epiphany, Lent, Easter, Pentacost, and Advent....

I do still practice the old Lutheran ways a bit, not to the extent I did as a kid, but I did give up ice cream for lent....I'm not even eating it on Sundays....
I know, thats a detrimental point for them, because the Seasons are quite important for a ballanced faith, one which has considered and focused on ALL aspects of Christianity, rather then just one single point.