Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 04-28-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Okay, so how do you tell if a twin is identical or fraternal aside from doing a DNA test? When I asked Matt about it, the only reason he gave me for saying they were fraternal was that there were two sacs. So I guess it's possible that they are identical twins after all.
Two sacs = fraternal

Corrected: Okay, I just saw Amy's post. This is news to me but I'm going with her info because she's the pro and knows this stuff. I've always heard that fraternal twins come from two separate eggs/two separate sacs and identical twins are one egg that split but share the same placenta. But, I haven't read up on this in a while, so I'll go with Amy since this is her business and she's around all this up-to-the-minute....

Last edited by Bonnie; 04-29-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:06 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
Two sacs = fraternal
doesnt it depend on when the egg split.

Thats what we're trying to find out isnt it...are they the same egg with two different sperm...or the same egg, same sperm...but the egg split in two so there is double the amount of Hughes there should be....

Or is it two eggs, and two sperm...no...they wouldnt look anything alike if it were that...they shouldnt look much alike if its two different sperm neither

The thing that makes me say they are identical is...they look VERY alike...like too much alike to be just similar in genetics...look at the photos of them when they were younger...they look like the SAME person

I've always thought they were identical perhaps I'm wrong...but if they arent identical...how do you explain the fact they LOOK identical
Old 04-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Okay, so how do you tell if a twin is identical or fraternal aside from doing a DNA test? When I asked Matt about it, the only reason he gave me for saying they were fraternal was that there were two sacs. So I guess it's possible that they are identical twins after all.
DNA testing is really the only way to know for sure. They could be identical, could be fraternal. Tell Matt if he went to nursing school, he'd be taught all this.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 04-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Two sacs = fraternal

Corrected: Okay, I just saw Amy's post. This is news to me but I'm going with her info because she's the pro and knows this stuff. I've always heard that fraternal twins come from two separate eggs/two separate sacs and identical twins are one egg that split but share the same placenta. But, I haven't read up on this in a while, so I'll go with Amy since this is her business and she's around all this up-to-the-minute....
If the embryo splits before implantation into the uterine wall, there will be 2 placentas and 2 amniotic sacs. Fraternal twins ALWAYS have separate placentas and sacs but the placentas can grow together and look like one at delivery. So DNA testing is required to know 100 % for sure if the twins are same sex, look alike, and have the same blood type.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 04-29-2009, 12:12 AM

I'll have to do some research myself, but we need Amy to clarify about the "two" eggs versus the "one" that splits.

I've always heard that fraternal twins are two eggs that have been fertilized and each have their own sacs; and, identical twins come from one egg that split and share the same placenta. But, Amy said identical twins can have their own sacs, so...

Added: Sorry, Amy, I was writing this and posted after you did yours. Thanks for the info. I figured if my sister and I ever wanted to know for sure, we'd have to do DNA testing.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
If the embryo splits before implantation into the uterine wall, there will be 2 placentas and 2 amniotic sacs. Fraternal twins ALWAYS have separate placentas and sacs but the placentas can grow together and look like one at delivery. So DNA testing is required to know 100 % for sure if the twins are same sex, look alike, and have the same blood type.

~Amy
Do they do DNA testing at birth for twins now to determine definitely which they are?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Do they do DNA testing at birth for twins now to determine definitely which they are?
That I am not sure about. If they do, they can use the cord blood to do it. We take a sample of that from every baby born.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 04-29-2009, 12:30 AM

I've always wanted to find out 'cause I always feel like a big dummy when people ask us. We finally decided to just tell people who ask, "yes, we're identical".

One time, this lady asked us (just like this), "Are y'all twins or are y'all sisters?" Now, I didn't mean to do it, honest, but before I could blink I said, "Both".

My sister was like, "B-o-n-n-i-e!" and that poor woman's face turned so red. Honest, I didn't mean to make that lady feel stupid. I really felt bad. Well, kinda...
Old 04-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I've always wanted to find out 'cause I always feel like a big dummy when people ask us. We finally decided to just tell people who ask, "yes, we're identical".

One time, this lady asked us (just like this), "Are y'all twins or are y'all sisters?" Now, I didn't mean to do it, honest, but before I could blink I said, "Both".

My sister was like, "B-o-n-n-i-e!" and that poor woman's face turned so red. Honest, I didn't mean to make that lady feel stupid. I really felt bad. Well, kinda...
You're awesome, Bonnie.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 04-29-2009, 04:50 AM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
They are the most similar looking fraternal twins I have ever seen. My family has twins for days.. My nephews are identical, however Austin is always a few lbs heavier and his face is fuller. Steven is more smaller but they still look very much alike...My high school sweetheart was an identical twin also and I of course could tell him and his twin apart he was the smaller one I suppose if 6oz mattered?! lol...