Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Twinsmama

Woowee Mark is hotter than Matt!! It looks like he has always been a little bigger than Matt.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:48 PM

I think both of them are cute, but for me, there is just "something" about Matt that appeals to me more. Now, maybe if I ever get to meet both of them and their personalities come into play, that might change.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:15 PM
que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsmama
Woowee Mark is hotter than Matt!! It looks like he has always been a little bigger than Matt.
wtf are you talking about they are identical twins

the only difference i see is a slight difference in hairstyle and mark is heavier. otherwise they look the same
Old 04-28-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by que
wtf are you talking about they are identical twins

the only difference i see is a slight difference in hairstyle and mark is heavier. otherwise they look the same
They are not identical. Matt said in his book they are "fraternal". And there is a difference--something about their eyes/look; also, Mark's cheekbones are wider across. In these earlier/younger photos, sometimes it's harder to tell them apart. I think it's easier now that they're older when we see them in pics.

You can't go by looks with twins as for them being "identical" or fraternal. By definition, identical twins are supposed to be mirror images of each other, but they're not always.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:44 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
They are not identical. Matt said in his book they are "fraternal". And there is a difference--something about their eyes/look; also, Mark's cheekbones are wider across. In these earlier/younger photos, sometimes it's harder to tell them apart. I think it's easier now that they're older when we see them in pics.

You can't go by looks with twins as for them being "identical" or fraternal. By definition, identical twins are supposed to be mirror images of each other, but they're not always.
I'm pretty sure they are identical arent they? They arent just twins...I thought they were genetically identical.

Dont forget that diet and nurture will change the outward appearence slightly. Genetical Twins, doesnt mean that 30 odd years later the two twins are still identical in everything

They look much to alike to be...non-identical twins IMHO
Old 04-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Their faces are definitely different enough that I can usually tell them apart pretty quickly, but in their childhood photos it's sometimes tough to tell.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
I'm pretty sure they are identical arent they? They arent just twins...I thought they were genetically identical.

Dont forget that diet and nurture will change the outward appearence slightly. Genetical Twins, doesnt mean that 30 odd years later the two twins are still identical in everything

The doctor who delivered them says they are fraternal, which means that they had two separate placental sacks. If they were identical then there would have only been one placenta. A DNA test would determine that as well, since identical twins would have identical DNA and fraternal twins would each have unique DNA. However, I think that after 35 years even identical twins' DNA would have changed enough that each would be unique.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
The doctor who delivered them says they are fraternal, which means that they had two separate placental sacks. If they were identical then there would have only been one placenta. A DNA test would determine that as well, since identical twins would have identical DNA and fraternal twins would each have unique DNA. However, I think that after 35 years even identical twins' DNA would have changed enough that each would be unique.
Identical twins can have separate placentas and amniotic sacs. It all depends on when the split occured exactly.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 04-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
Identical twins can have separate placentas and amniotic sacs. It all depends on when the split occured exactly.

~Amy
Okay, so how do you tell if a twin is identical or fraternal aside from doing a DNA test? When I asked Matt about it, the only reason he gave me for saying they were fraternal was that there were two sacs. So I guess it's possible that they are identical twins after all.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn

Well, with them, I'm strictly going by what Matt said in his book about the doctor saying they were "fraternal". That means that they were two separate eggs with two separate sacks. So I think the doctor who delivered them would know.

In me and my twin sister's case, we don't know for sure if we are identical or fraternal. The doctor was obviously totally inept. He delivered me and as the story goes, he left and the nurse had to run after him to tell him there was "another" one. And, it doesn't say on our birth certificates either. It just says "baby girl #1") and "baby girl #2). I know, real scientific, huh. So, I'm thinking we're "fraternal", but there is a possibility that we are identical. People who don't know us, think we're identical, but family and friends can see the differences. But, the only way we'll know for sure now, is DNA testing, I think. Identical twins share the same DNA and fingerprints.