Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-11-2012, 10:22 PM

Default Anderson Silva vs Jon Jones

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/7/10...e-sponsorships

Ok so I want to know your thoughts on this not so potential Match up.

When I read this Article I couldn't help but laugh my @$$ off is Jon Jones Serious?? Isn't that the whole concept fighting?!?! "!!Winning and beating someone else to be crowned the best!!

"It's not that he won't fight me or I won't fight him. To be dead honest, it's that we both have a lot to lose and we both respect each other a lot and we both are striving for personal greatness. I don't want to crack on his greatness and I don't want him cracking on my greatness.

"We're in completely different weight classes. We both have sponsor deals and things that are really important to us and a big part of that sponsorship package is being a winning-being a champion. Having us fight each other means one of our championships goes away.

"I respect Anderson Silva so much that I don't want to be the guy to beat him. I don't want to lose to him either. It's a lose-lose situation for me."

Jon Jones

If they are two of the most dominant Champions with Silva being the Best ever and Jones Probably becoming the best when Silva Retires (doubt he will ever surpass him) shouldn't a big mark in there career be that they beat each other? How can they have nothing to win?!?!?

Even Helwani has stated that Anderson has nothing to win by fighting Jones? http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/7/10...39-ben-fowlkes

But then again he is convinced that Seagals training of Anderson, Lyoto is 100% Legit.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:49 PM

If they fought, who would go up/who would go down to the other's weight class? I can see why Jones wouldn't want to fight Anderson at this time in his career, he wants to keep that title/belt as long as possible in order to create a legacy, he's no different than GSP in that.

But I do agree with you, I would think either of them would have a lot to gain as the winner.

Last edited by Bonnie; 07-11-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 PM

It could be a cath weight at 195lbs. Or at 205 Anderson has fought at that weight before.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:17 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Unfortunately, Jones is right to a certain degree. This probably isn't the right time for the fight for either of them. Now, that doesn't mean that the fans don't want to see it, myself included. It's just a tough call right now for all 3 parties, Silva, Jones, and the UFC.

Silva probably has anywhere from 2-5 fights left at most depending on how they pan out, and that's being generous in my opinion. If he defends his MW title 1-3 more times, that would just be icing on the cake for what has already been a legendary career. I'd love to see a super-fight against Jones, but I can also see why Silva may not wanna do that right now. Maybe a couple more fights in their respective divisions, then take the Jones fight as a farewell fight where it doesn't matter if he wins or loses?

Jones is young, and it's not crazy to think that at some point he will make a transition to heavyweight, especially if he continues to clean house at light heavyweight. For him to fight Silva now and possibly get derailed gives him a lot more to lose than Silva. So I can definitely understand why Jones would want to stay the course for now. Again, Silva isn't exactly young, and for Jones to go out and beat the smaller guy who is 37 years old doesn't present as much upside as it does downside if he were to lose. However, it is Anderson Silva, and nobody has beaten him in 8 years, so it would definitely be a great name to add to his resume.

Personally, I would love to see the Jones fight, but I think the GSP fight makes more sense for Silva. Will either really happen? Who knows, just gotta wait and see.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:01 AM

The Jones-Silva fight will not happen for all the reasons stated above. I think Silva would rather face GSP.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Load Option View Post
The Jones-Silva fight will not happen for all the reasons stated above. I think Silva would rather face GSP.
I agree that he rather face Georges sinces his stand up is nowhere near as good as Jones and hes smaller and older.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Unfortunately, Jones is right to a certain degree. This probably isn't the right time for the fight for either of them. Now, that doesn't mean that the fans don't want to see it, myself included. It's just a tough call right now for all 3 parties, Silva, Jones, and the UFC.

Silva probably has anywhere from 2-5 fights left at most depending on how they pan out, and that's being generous in my opinion. If he defends his MW title 1-3 more times, that would just be icing on the cake for what has already been a legendary career. I'd love to see a super-fight against Jones, but I can also see why Silva may not wanna do that right now. Maybe a couple more fights in their respective divisions, then take the Jones fight as a farewell fight where it doesn't matter if he wins or loses?

Jones is young, and it's not crazy to think that at some point he will make a transition to heavyweight, especially if he continues to clean house at light heavyweight. For him to fight Silva now and possibly get derailed gives him a lot more to lose than Silva. So I can definitely understand why Jones would want to stay the course for now. Again, Silva isn't exactly young, and for Jones to go out and beat the smaller guy who is 37 years old doesn't present as much upside as it does downside if he were to lose. However, it is Anderson Silva, and nobody has beaten him in 8 years, so it would definitely be a great name to add to his resume.

Personally, I would love to see the Jones fight, but I think the GSP fight makes more sense for Silva. Will either really happen? Who knows, just gotta wait and see.
Wow, 8 years unbeaten, that's really something.

Btw, you're really good at this analysis stuff, JB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Load Option View Post
I'm betting GSP would rather NOT face Silva. He'd probably love to see a Jones/Silva fight.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:52 PM

i'd rather not see those two fight either .. two guys at different stages of their careers .. and jones has nothing to gain .. he beats a guy who is the 185 champ? big deal ..... anderson has a lot to gain ... but he know bones is too big to deal with .. gsp vs anderson would be the best fight imo ... the size difference is there .. but i think gsp has the tools to deal with it ...
Old 07-12-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i'd rather not see those two fight either .. two guys at different stages of their careers .. and jones has nothing to gain .. he beats a guy who is the 185 champ? big deal ..... anderson has a lot to gain ... but he know bones is too big to deal with .. gsp vs anderson would be the best fight imo ... the size difference is there .. but i think gsp has the tools to deal with it ...
Thats Crazy!! Anderson is not "just a guy" on the Middleweight division... Jones has everything to gain! If he beats Anderson he beats the best fighter in MMA History, Theres a bigger difference between Georges and Anderson then Anderson and Jones besides Anderson has already fought at Light Heavyweight before and GSP hasn't fought at Middleweight before.

I agree that Gsp has the tools to beat Silva but I also know Anderson and Jones have the tools to beat each other.

Anderson has spent his career fighting smaller men why cant he fight someone bigger than himself?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
Thats Crazy!! Anderson is not "just a guy" on the Middleweight division... Jones has everything to gain! If he beats Anderson he beats the best fighter in MMA History, Theres a bigger difference between Georges and Anderson then Anderson and Jones besides Anderson has already fought at Light Heavyweight before and GSP hasn't fought at Middleweight before.

I agree that Gsp has the tools to beat Silva but I also know Anderson and Jones have the tools to beat each other.

Anderson has spent his career fighting smaller men why cant he fight someone bigger than himself?
yeah, i guess you are right .. makes sense ...