Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Question does anyone care about Ortiz/Griffin III anymore

...I cant decide if its because they have both grown older, or because the UFC have spaced out this best of three grudge match for the same length of time i've been posting on this forum...or if its just that I'm so dissolutioned with the politics of the UFC Judges...but back in the day...I mean, back in Holy Week 2006...this fight was the sort of fight which people would wager alot on

...its funny because in a way we've been terribly spoiled by the UFC now, with their expansion and their ability to put on a fight card every week...we find that some fight cards bearly get commented on...some argue its because there is a two tier system, with numbered events hosting names, and fight nights been filled with subpar fighters...but that, in essence, when you watch the cards isnt true...a no name fighter can be just as exciting to watch...but because he's no name, next to noone bothers to watch.

The other growing argument is maybe that there is so much UFC that we are begining not to care quite so much. We've got so much of a good thing, there are two many cards to keep tabs on.

Back in the day the UFC would host one fight card about every two or three callendar months...and when they happened, they had been talked to death on forums for weeks...the arguments had time to esculate, and people had time to divide into bandwagons...I mean the sort that would roll for weeks and weeks without any fight occuring, simply based on hype and peoples expectations and arguments.

Losses and Wins meant more....because you couldnt expect to proove yourself, or make ammends for so much longer...the UFC was smaller and so each fight counted for fighters far more, the numbers in the stable had to be kept lower so people could still fight more then once a year, when the card numbers were ten times less then right now.

I hate to admit this...but I think I liked it better back then...and I kinda miss that banter...its the banter that we HAVE seen between Chael Sonnen and Anderson Silva simply because the fight has been a prospect for SO LONG...thats how main events Prior to UFC 60 were all about...

Even three years later when I made the following video about this Forum and its special links to the Ortiz/Griffin matches...there was little stir....now it seems like noone has even noticed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnAhOfk-nAA
Old 07-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Hughes fanboy

Short answer: no.

And for the record, did anyone care about part 2 either?

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 07-01-2012, 10:11 PM

NO, nobody cares...........After Tito looses we wil lall hear the familiar list of excuses. Thank god this is his final fight. Tired of hearing the same old story.......injured, back hurts, bad knees, and my all time favorite the cracked skull. Can't wait for it to be over.

Now the Sonnen Silva fight I can't wait to see.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:16 PM

sure I care,
great fighters that have done a ton for the sport that I enjoy. Both guys are on the way out and it will be nice to see them perform one more time, especially against each other since the always deliver great fights. Do I want to go have a beer with them later... no, but who the hell am i anyhow.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:01 AM

I Care! Forrest is my favorite fighter next to Chael and Matt. I hope Forrest gives Tito a Nice retirement Fight and Bashes his Brains through the Octagon.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Student of the Sport

I care. I actually like both fighters. I know that the first two fights weren't that exciting, but I think with this being Tito's last and possibly Forrest's as well they may go out and put on an awesome fight.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:48 PM

care about the beurocracy and politics and whole rivalry rubbermatch thing: no

care about it that it is two capable equally matched lhw's that have and can put on good fights: YES
Old 07-02-2012, 05:02 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

I care. Ultimately I watch this sport for the sport aspect. I don't care what either has done I want to see a good fight and both have had some really good fights. I would consider Tito a legend in this sport.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:18 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

I think that people care exactly as much for this fight as they did for the first 2.

Let me be very clear on this one, Dave: by "people" I mean "MMA fans in general". In the microcosm of the MHF, the first fight was a flashpoint that ignited long-standing tensions between Mike & GOAT. The "Great Schism" was not nearly as widespread across the entire MMA universe. Was it a close fight? Yeah. Was the decision argued? Of course. But only here was it such a gigantic issue & that's only because the rivalry between GOAT & Mike forced it to be so.