Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 06-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
Different music will effect people differently. If it makes them feel closer to God then who are we to say it is wrong?
Thats not the question.

GOD can be found in many different bits of music...thats not the issue. The issue is what music is played specifically in Church. Thats slightly different.

I think there is nothing wrong with secular music, and I can find facets of GOD in it. I think there is nothing wrong with christian pop and rock...

but I DONT think they have their place inside a Church...The Church as a building is pure symbolism, as GOD is not confined to it, however, as a focal point for that symbolism there are things which are inappropriate.

Two times I have felt very...disturbed by things which appeared in church which shouldnt have. One was during a rendition of the Peace Mass in Ripon Cathedral. Jenkins...in his usual style encorperated a lot of non christian music directly into the mass...He does two things...he tries to draw a parallel between the Islamic Call to Prayer, and the Kyrie...in the mass these two are played one after the other.

This...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lGdrHIQxqs

Followed by this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhKC8CUZjY0

I found it most disconcerting that the islamic call to prayer was sung by an imam inside the Cathedral...for some reason, that felt wrong.

Then there was the civic duty of Ripon Cathedral to bless a flag that had been developed by the Ghurkahs in Leeds. These are a branch of our foreign legion I suppose you might say...and to make them feel welcome, it took on an eccumenical flavour...which went way overboard when both Hindu and Bhudists were invited to pray...and they did...in their own religious tongues...again, that felt very wrong.

Sounded like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNUu2cFmDfU

You see Churches are Consecrated, they are set aside as Holy for GOD...deliberate act on behalf of man...and to violate that seems to be tantamount to desicration

I was so angry I sent this rant video to the Bishop who allowed it to happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhOVH2Vj9SI

Its an extreme case...but you see how secular music could be viewed in degrees, and some not be appropriate...its not about judging others...its actually about THEM respecting the Christians by not insulting them inside a Holy Place.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRShrek View Post
. Why bother inviting someone to church if there isnít going to be any Church there?
EXACTLY

I am sure you are welcoming if you have guests in your house for a meal...but I am equally sure that its your rules under your roof. That is as it should be...and its no different with the Church building as House of GOD IMHO
Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRShrek View Post
Weíre not directing, weíre criticizing and mocking. Opening up a little to let people in is good to a point, until it compromises the whole point of the operation. Why bother inviting someone to church if there isnít going to be any Church there?
So because they played music that means that there was no church? Did they only play this music and not have a church service?

That type of music may compromise you but that doesn't mean it compromises others.

Is it okay for a christian to pray at a rock concert or at a movie?

Why can't other entertainment be provided at church?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:07 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Thats not the question.

GOD can be found in many different bits of music...thats not the issue. The issue is what music is played specifically in Church. Thats slightly different.

I think there is nothing wrong with secular music, and I can find facets of GOD in it. I think there is nothing wrong with christian pop and rock...

but I DONT think they have their place inside a Church...The Church as a building is pure symbolism, as GOD is not confined to it, however, as a focal point for that symbolism there are things which are inappropriate.

You see Churches are Consecrated, they are set aside as Holy for GOD...deliberate act on behalf of man...and to violate that seems to be tantamount to desicration

Its an extreme case...but you see how secular music could be viewed in degrees, and some not be appropriate...its not about judging others...its actually about THEM respecting the Christians by not insulting them inside a Holy Place.
But who decides which music is appropriate in church? And does this apply to all activities in the church? What if it is just a social gathering scheduled at the church, then would it be okay? Sounds like you are implying that all words, deeds, and intentions should be focused on Christ inside the church building.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
But who decides which music is appropriate in church?
Flo.

hey, my vast life experience should count for *something*, lol

Footloose is OK but Hell's Bells is verboten.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 06-21-2012, 12:46 PM
Formerly Dethbob

Quote:
Sounds like you are implying that all words, deeds, and intentions should be focused on Christ inside the church building.
I donít think itís unreasonable to expect Church to be all about God. Thatís kind of what itís for.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It's okay as long as it makes you feel good, right?
No. Focusing on what makes people feel good is the quickest way to hand your entire church congregation directly over to Satan.

Worship services should be about worshipping GOD and that's it. Once you start planning worship services based on what entertains people or makes them feel good, then you are no longer worshipping GOD and you're just wasting everyone's time.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Sounds like you are implying that all words, deeds, and intentions should be focused on Christ inside the church building.
Not just in a church building. Every word, deed, thought and intention of a Christian should be focused on Christ every moment of their life for the rest of their life.

Of course, it's an impossible standard for us to keep, which is why we need Christ, but it's the minimum that GOD requires. GOD never lowers His standards to accommodate people and neither should we.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:03 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Thats not the question.

Two times I have felt very...disturbed by things which appeared in church which shouldnt have. One was during a rendition of the Peace Mass in Ripon Cathedral. Jenkins...in his usual style encorperated a lot of non christian music directly into the mass...He does two things...he tries to draw a parallel between the Islamic Call to Prayer, and the Kyrie...in the mass these two are played one after the other.

I agree with your Rant.. There is no reason Buddhist chants should be played in a Cathedral!!
However when it's Christian music within a Christian building I don't get what the big deal is. I guess I am just used to Gregorian chants..
Old 06-21-2012, 06:45 PM

growing up going to church i always never understood why they would have bake sales etc in the church .. it always brings back the story of Jesus flipping tables and whipping things when the temple was turned into a marketplace .. so i am against that .. as for singing .. i am also against that ... when Jesus talked about prayer being quiet/private instead of the hypocrites who pray loud in the streets .. of course my biblical facts may not be 100%, but i think i got the point across ... and to bella's point .. i love gregorian chants .. just don't agree with them ... LOL