Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-16-2012, 06:17 PM
BradW BradW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I've heard the "House of the Rising Sun" melody used for other hymns in church. I'm not sure what the thinking behind that is, since most of these hymns already have their own melodies.

My guess is that those church's music leaders are huge fans of secular music, so they are simply trying to merge that with worship. Which probably skirts dangerously close to blasphemy.

Worship isn't for our benefit or entertainment, it's for GOD and GOD alone. Anytime worship gets contaminated by our own personal interests, then it's no longer worship, it's idolatry.

Unfortunately, many modern Christians (at least modern American Christians) are incapable of distinguishing between music and worship. I think the current "music=worship/worship=music" trend in modern Churches is one the great heresies of our time.

Worship is not something you conjure up from an emotional reaction to music. The inability to distinguish between emotional feelings and true worship sets us up for major Satanic deceptions, even within the walls of a church building. Yes, true worship can inspire emotions, but emotions don't necessarily inspire true worship.
Skirts.....yes,i love seeing women in skirts.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-16-2012, 06:30 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradW View Post
Skirts.....yes,i love seeing women in skirts.
Pick up a dictionary once is a while:

skirt - verb; 3c: to evade or miss by a narrow margin

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/skirt
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-16-2012, 09:30 PM
adamt adamt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I've heard the "House of the Rising Sun" melody used for other hymns in church. I'm not sure what the thinking behind that is, since most of these hymns already have their own melodies.

My guess is that those church's music leaders are huge fans of secular music, so they are simply trying to merge that with worship. Which probably skirts dangerously close to blasphemy.

Worship isn't for our benefit or entertainment, it's for GOD and GOD alone. Anytime worship gets contaminated by our own personal interests, then it's no longer worship, it's idolatry.

Unfortunately, many modern Christians (at least modern American Christians) are incapable of distinguishing between music and worship. I think the current "music=worship/worship=music" trend in modern Churches is one the great heresies of our time.

Worship is not something you conjure up from an emotional reaction to music. The inability to distinguish between emotional feelings and true worship sets us up for major Satanic deceptions, even within the walls of a church building. Yes, true worship can inspire emotions, but emotions don't necessarily inspire true worship.
nate, i cannot believe how close our convictions are to each other, this may be the best post this year..... all i have to say to this is amen
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Pastor Chris F's Avatar
Pastor Chris F Pastor Chris F is offline
7X Prediction Champ !!!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Springfield Missouri
Posts: 193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
nate, i cannot believe how close our convictions are to each other, this may be the best post this year..... all i have to say to this is amen
Well truth always bears witness and sometimes convictions can be a good thing. As Nate said it is all about God not out entertainment.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-16-2012, 11:13 PM
adamt adamt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Chris F View Post
Well truth always bears witness and sometimes convictions can be a good thing. As Nate said it is all about God not out entertainment.
and i must also admit i have found more to agree with you on , chris, than disagree with you on lately.... and not just cause you haven't been on lately either
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Pastor Chris F's Avatar
Pastor Chris F Pastor Chris F is offline
7X Prediction Champ !!!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Springfield Missouri
Posts: 193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post


and i must also admit i have found more to agree with you on , chris, than disagree with you on lately.... and not just cause you haven't been on lately either
Well if you go way back we tend to agree a lot more often than not. It just that when we disagree it is a real BIG disagreement. As is the case with many forum friends. In the long run we all tend to love Christ and sometimes our denominational flavors clash. But when it comes to solid truth we all tend to stick together on those issues.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-17-2012, 12:41 AM
BradW BradW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Pick up a dictionary once is a while:

skirt - verb; 3c: to evade or miss by a narrow margin

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/skirt
i'll pick up a dictionary when you develop a sense of humor....how bout that.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-19-2012, 03:04 AM
Pastor Chris F's Avatar
Pastor Chris F Pastor Chris F is offline
7X Prediction Champ !!!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Springfield Missouri
Posts: 193
Default

Well it appears that the friend whom I am referring to has found this thread and was offended. Imagine that m