Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-31-2012, 04:50 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Shane Carwin Cleared for Contact, Targeting Return Fight in Early Fall

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
May 30, 2012 - Shane Carwin, the bruising former UFC interim heavyweight champion, is officially on the comeback trail.

Following a lengthy recovery from back surgery, Carwin, 37, announced Wednesday he was cleared for contact and issued a request for UFC officials to slot him into a fight later this year.

"I informed UFC Matchmaker (Joe Silva) that I would like to fight in early fall 2012," Carwin wroteon his website. "I would like to be able to fight every three or four months. Barring injury I intend to leave the UFC octagon and head back to the Grudge Training Center to continue the climb."

Carwin's (12-2) improbable rise to UFC stardom saw the former collegiate standout shoot up the heavyweight ranks on the strength of a violent string of first-round knockouts, culminating in a brutal victory over Frank Mir to win the UFC interim heavyweight strap.

In an effort to unify the belts, Carwin nearly defeated reigning champion Brock Lesnar, before gassing out in the second round and submitting to an arm-triangle choke. Following an extended recovery from neck surgery, the American dropped a decision to Junior dos Santos in a heavyweight title eliminator at UFC 131, and has yet to compete since the loss.

"I have spent my entire career dealing with injuries sustained through football," Carwin concluded. "I am 100% and I feel like a younger version of my former self. The UFC should look into adding some padding in the gloves because I plan on crushing my opponents."
Old 05-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Student of the Sport

I am glad he will be able to fight again. He had some pretty nasty injuries, so hopefully he will be healthy.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:11 PM

I say he should fight Roy Nelson or Struve
Old 05-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
I say he should fight Roy Nelson or Struve
I like either matchup....I would lean more towards a fight with Roy, but either would be good.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:19 PM

poor roy .. just cuz he can take a beating, doesnt mean he should be put in their with the heavy hitters .. LOL
Old 06-01-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
poor roy .. just cuz he can take a beating, doesnt mean he should be put in their with the heavy hitters .. LOL
I use to think Roy was pretty cool but he is quickly becoming more and more annoying... Have you heard his interviews lately? He's not even funny it's just sad and his appearance is even more sad.

With that said he is an incredible fighter! I'm sure lots of fighters wished they had his chin and heart. I think he would do good against Carwing... Specially after the surgery.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:52 PM

Carwin vs Roy would be a good fight. Both like to stand and bang. Hope the UFC makes it happen.