Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 01-24-2009, 03:35 PM
mikthehick

Thumbs up The Nutrition Thread!

So....let's talk about what we are eating! Goals ya have for this year, or just wanting to get better.

I've heard this is the hardest time of the year to work out, unless you live in SoCal or Florida---and when I weighed in at the doctor a few weeks ago, I found out I could pretty much join the UFC Welterweight division, and I'm a girl

So, I'm not going to be 156 anymore, so I removed bread from my intake and reduced my carbs pretty dramatically. I've been eating a ton of chili, veggie soups, salads, cereal that's whole grain once in awhile, juice, and NO ICE CREAM!!

That is HUGE b/c I LOVE ice cream tons....

I also invested in Muscle Milk b/c Brian13 told me to, and honestly it's pretty great, I drink it after work outs.

So far I'm down 8 pounds and my goal is another 10. 138 was a really good weight for me back during the polo days
What about yall?
Old 01-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Tattoo Artist

Well according to Todd, my hot dog and ice cream diet won't make you a world champ, whatever!!! HAHAHA! I know that cutting down on carbs and such will help, but you also need to cleanse out your liver, it has like 10 thousand functions in your body and unless it is healthy, your body will take longer to lose weight, build cardio fitness, etc. Lots of cranberry juice, 100% juice, not the cran-grape or cran-cherry stuff you get at the store. Unsweetened, pure cranberry juice (4-6oz.) mixed with water (26 to 28oz.) and an organic sweetener called stevia (10 to 15 drops). This makes a light drink that also helps clear that liver out. At first I didn't believe it, but it really does work, at least it did for me. Of course cut out any soda, even diet soda, and all the starchy, yeasty foods and all will be well!! So you can pretty much drink water and eat ice cubes, right??? LOL!! Keep us posted on your success, Kim.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:19 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

I've got a weird hybrid diet right now. I'm living at home, so I've got my mom's amazing cooking every night, great proteins, solid veggies & some reasonable carb options (rolls, toast, etc.). Then again, I'm a college student & salesman, so I'm on the road all the time & eating 7-Eleven & fast food all the time. I'm hanging right around 200lbs/16% body fat.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:42 AM
warriorlion

just about to start a tried and tested diet, basically its getting carbs only from veg unless I have trained - so no complex carbs like potato/pasta/rice unless I have worked out.

So its eggs for breakfast - a supershake that I will put the mix up son for, salad and protien like cottage cheese or tuna for lunch then a normal dinner and training.

Last time I did this for 4 months and lost 2 stone/ 28 pounds, so getting back to this should get me well on the way to fighting weight of 185, then it will be on to 170
Old 01-28-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I've managed to add about 9 pounds of muscle in 8 months so I'm quite pleased.

Basically, I just pick and mix meals based on the following...

Protein:

* Extra lean ground beef (at least 93% lean)
* Extra lean ground turkey breast (I've even seen 99% ground turkey breast)
* Venison (deer - most cuts)
* Buffalo/Bison (most cuts and ground meat are very lean)
* Turkey breast
* Chicken breast
* Fish (virutally all fish are super lean and super healthy)
* Milk
* Fat-free cheese (Kraft and Borden make fat-free sliced and shredded cheese)
* Whey protein
* Cottage cheese/casein protein (casein is the powdered form of cottage cheese)
* I don't recommend pork; maybe only if you're going to eat an extra lean pork loin

Carbs:

* Vegetables (virtually all vegetables are just fine; many are low in calories and high in fiber)
* Fruits (fresh only, but check the GI ratings, some are very low, but some such as dates and cherries are very high)
* Beans (any bean)
* Whole wheat breads (Sometimes, you can look for high-fiber breads; I eat one made by Mrs. Baird's that has 6g of fiber per slice)
* Brown rice (brown rice is preferred, most white rices digest VERY quickly)
* Basmati rice or Uncle Ben's rice (the 2 slowest-digesting rices on the planet)
* Dry oats/oatmeal (no sugar versions)
* Pasta (whole wheat is preferred, but there's nothing wrong with normal pasta)

Fats:

* Udo's 3-6-9 Oil Blend
* Flaxseed oil
* Extra virgin olive oil
* Chili oil
* Sesame oil
* Sesame chili oil
* Sunflower oil
* Fish oil
* Nuts (virtually any nut is fine)
* Avacado
* Fish (most fish have a great amount of omega-3 fatty acids)
* I don't add canola oil; it's a highly processed oil. Try to avoid processed foods

Oh, and to mention. I eat my weight x20 = daily total calorie intake. 30% of calories from protein, 40% from carbs, 30% from fats, and I eat 6 meals a day. After lifting, I take a 400 calorie recovery shake (75g of carbs, 25g of protein).

Last edited by rockdawg21; 01-29-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:56 AM
County Mike

I lost a couple pounds the past few days, so yesterday I ate:

breakfast:
large bowl of Reese's Puffs cereal
1 blueberry muffin
Orange Juice with protein powder
Multivitamin

For lunch:
1 small pizza
1/2 box of girl scout thin mint cookies
1 orange
lots of water

After last night's workout I ate a huge slab of lasagna
Drank water mixed with gatorade.

I'm still hungry.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:58 PM
sasquatch

I stopped drinking soda recently, and I eat fruits and vegetables whenever I have them around.
I still eat other bad stuff like chillidogs and burgers though... I'm always hungry.
County Mike made me more hungry. >:[
Old 01-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Straight Right

Oatmeal (whole rolled oats) with sliced almonds & protein powder, or eggs/egg whites with whole grain toast, & OJ

Snack Cliff Builder bar or similar (20g of protein) Skim milk

Turkey Sandwich on flaxseed whole grain bread, lettuce, tomato, mustard
V8 w/supergreens powder mixed in

hand full of nuts (usually almonds) Jumbo red raisins

Protein shake, w/unsweetend almond milk (only 40 calories a serving), banana, blueberries, and non-fat or greek-style yogurt

Lean meat, bison, beef, pork, chicken etc. brown rice or yams/sweet potatoes and a veggie like steamed broccoli

Supplements: Universal animan pak vitamin, flaxseed oil, cod liver oil and wild salmon oil (different oil with each meal)

post-work out drink Universal Torrent

Stay healthy everyone, here's to a great 2009, you're off to a good start mikthehick, keep it up
Old 01-30-2009, 12:43 AM
cheachea

I have a super high metabolism so I usually just eat what ever I want and try to get 2 protien shakes (45grams per shake)a day. I've been taking creatine for about 3 months and I just ran out so I cycle back on when I can afford some more LOL. I'm 5'11 and 168 pounds. I'd like to get upto 180 but I know I would have to increase the protien and carbs to get there. All I do is lift weights with No cardio. I'm affraid If I do cardio I'll loose alot of weight and size.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:51 AM
jignpig

morn.
2 monster energys (so i can drive my boss nutz)
tigers milk bar
gum.

lunch
burger fries and a side of mayo
mabey another monster.

gym at 3

dinner
8 to 12 12oz cans of keystone light. chilled.
and then go back and forth with the wife "what do you want to eat?" "i dont know, what do you want?" this process takes about 30 mins. then we go to uncle sals and i destroy a calzone and my wife drinks wine till she finds me attractive again. then home.
(yes i said key light)