Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-21-2012, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Yeah, it's definitely a mistake that good people make all the time, and I have a few friends that have gotten DUI's over the years. I will admit that I drove home a few times I probably shouldn't have when I was younger, but after losing a couple friends who smashed their cars and seeing all the legal problems it can cause I decided it's just not worth it.

I rarely go out to the bar anymore, but when I do I plan ahead and try to get a DD, use public transportation or a shuttle that some bars run, or even just walk home if I go somewhere local. They also have a service out here that will actually come to the bar and drive you and your car home for you. It's not cheap, but it's a lot cheaper than a DUI.
There you go!
Old 05-21-2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree that he is probably a good guy and that he just made a mistake, but I wouldn't say it's nobody's business. DUI is extremely irresponsible and can endanger the lives of everybody else on the road. Also, Jones is a public figure who is quickly becoming one of the most identifiable names in the sport of MMA. It's also not like it was a routine traffic stop where he blew just over the legal limit, the guy smashed his $100,000 Bentley into a pole.

Personally, I'm not gonna harp on it or think any different of him as a fighter or a human being. We all make poor decisions in our life, and alcohol will definitely cause us to do stupid things. I will just say that it's disappointing and I hope the grief and embarrassment he's dealing with because of it right now prevents him from ever doing it again.
Well said.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 05-21-2012, 03:27 AM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
I don't disagree that he is probably a good guy and that he just made a mistake, but I wouldn't say it's nobody's business. DUI is extremely irresponsible and can endanger the lives of everybody else on the road. Also, Jones is a public figure who is quickly becoming one of the most identifiable names in the sport of MMA. It's also not like it was a routine traffic stop where he blew just over the legal limit, the guy smashed his $100,000 Bentley into a pole.
So, how is this knowledge going to benefit you JB? It's just because of his status it all of a sudden is "news".

I say this about all celebrities and there problems. All this is just gossip, period.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 05-21-2012, 03:56 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
So, how is this knowledge going to benefit you JB? It's just because of his status it all of a sudden is "news".

I say this about all celebrities and there problems. All this is just gossip, period.

You posted in this thread. If it's just gossip, why even give it the time of day?

No offense but, in case you haven't been paying attention, his "status" does make it "news" in this day and age. It's not gossip when there is a police report on file and his PR person makes a statement acknowledging that it happened.

Would you say the same thing if this was about Anderson Silva?
Old 05-21-2012, 04:44 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Jon's a good man. He made a mistake, and it's NONE of anyone's business.
And how are homosexuals (one of your favorite harps) your business then?

He is a criminal. He broke the law. It is everyone's business. He played russian roulette with everyone around him that night. And that constitutes a good man in your book? Now if he consciously chose that pole instead of a family returning home late from a vacation then you might could justify saying that he is a good man.

Drinking and driving is not simply a mistake. Anyone who downplays it should do a little research on the victims.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:

So it's okay to talk about when he runs a mugger down and play him up as a "hero", and for him to go on Leno and talk about that, but no one should say anything negative about him when he does something totally irresponsible? He was driving drunk on a public street, yes? He made his business public.

He should be down on his knees thanking God that it was a pole he hit!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

It always suprises me that these athletes even touch alcohol to be honnest. Its like there is the feeling that one cant have a good time without poisening ones body. You would think that an athlete who really cared for his body wouldnt drink period for the ill effect it would have.

I'm a tad suprised coming from Jon Jones, he didnt seem like the reckless type when I met him in London. Perhaps its coz I'm T-Total, but I think the issue isnt that he made a poor mistake to drive, the issue is that his judgement was clouded by the alcohol. THAT IMHO is the poor mistake, because you consciously choose to start drinking when you are completely compus mentus. I wouldnt excuse the mistakes any people make whilst drunk, but the root of the problem for me is always the thought that they let themselves get that drunk in the first place.

For an athlete thats really questionnable. I hope now that he is more famous then he was, this isnt going to become a habit.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:

one of the trade offs of becoming one of them is that their business becomes public.

Rightly so, if they are to be held by the population as examples. if they are to be "celebrated" then that is one of the sacrifices they make. They play their lives out in the public domain. Its the price of fame...and with larger rewards they can get with their fame, they deserve larger proportions of criticism aswell.

You cant have your cake and eat it.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:51 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
It always suprises me that these athletes even touch alcohol to be honnest. Its like there is the feeling that one cant have a good time without poisening ones body. You would think that an athlete who really cared for his body wouldnt drink period for the ill effect it would have.
You shouldn't be surprised at all. We aren't surprised when we find out that guys are using steroids or other crap. Lets also not forget that the biggest sponsor of the UFC is Bud Light.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:43 PM

the ufc will do their best to get him off this one ... damage done ... so when he saw the kids smoking weed and he went and told the teacher, i assume when he was questioned by the cops, he told them everything and told on himself? LOL ... i can't hate on the guy for ratting out those kids, but it was too good to pass up ...