Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-08-2012, 02:29 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Morning Report: Dominick Cruz Becomes the Latest Victim of the TUF Coaching Curse

MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
May 8, 2012 - We've heard of the Madden Curse, the Curse of the Billy Goat, and Cleveland's Basic Existence, but after yesterday's big news, it seems like mixed martial arts now has it's own unlucky cloud from which the occasional bad juju drizzles down. Let's just call it the Curse of the TUF Coaches.

Dominick Cruz and his torn ACL joins a who's who list of recent The Ultimate Fighter coaches to see their match-ups go up in flames well before fight night.

The running list: Jackson-Evans gets put on ice for half-a-year because of Rampage's Hollywood aspirations, Liddell-Ortiz III disintegrates along with Ortiz's neck nerves, Lesnar-dos Santos is doomed by the ghost of diverticulitis, and now this -- the UFC bantamweight champion suffers the mother of all injuries midway through the first live TUF taping in UFC history. That's problems in four out of the past six seasons, in case you were keeping count.

Where we go from here isn't clear, but there are really two main issues to address. 1.) What do we do with Urijah Faber, UFC 148, and the state of the bantamweight division? 2.) What happens with Cruz's coaching spot on the show?

Now, issue No. 1 is much easier to address than No. 2, though each potentially impacts the other. First things first, as much as it sucks, there really isn't any other choice but to create an interim bantamweight strap. Cruz is going to be out another nine months, at best, and we don't need the 135-pound division going the way of lightweight or welterweight.

Right now the consensus top-2 guys to fight Faber in an interim match are Renan Barao or Michael McDonald, and either has a legitimate case for a shot at the interim belt. That being said, I'd shade towards Barao because a hit-list of Escovedo/Pickett/Jorgensen is more impressive than Cariaso/Soto/Torres, plus he's already prepping to fight Ivan Menjivar in a No. 1 contender match at UFC 148.

So, why not keep Faber in the co-main event, flip Barao and his 29-fight unbeaten streak off the preliminaries and into the title slot, and bring in either McDonald or Brad Pickett to take onMenjivar in a new contenders bout. (For those who say it's unfair to Menjivar, keep in mind that Barao-Menjivar was a No. 1 contender match in the same way that Rashad Evans-Phil Davis was a No. 1 contender match.)

Problem No. 2 is much more difficult, however, regardless of whether you favor Barao or McDonald. The thing is, neither of them would be any good as the new coach of Team Cruz. Barao doesn't speak English well, and five months ago McDonald couldn't even get into a bar, let alone order a Jack and Coke.

Ideally, Cruz could still keep up with coaching duties for the rest of the season, but really, that's a pretty selfish request for us to make. So for now it looks like we're stuck in limbo, grasping for something that resembles a right answer. (As if the UFC didn't have enough to worry about already.)

5 MUST-READ STORIES
Dominick Cruz tears ACL. UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz tore his ACL while training on The Ultimate Fighter: Live and was pulled from his anticipated UFC 148 title defense against Urijah Faber. UFC officials have yet to announce Faber's status on the card or whether an interim belt will be created.
Urijah Faber wants to fight Renan Barao for interim title. Longtime WEC champ Urijah Faber both tweeted and released a video asking to fight upstart contender Renan Barao at UFC 148 for the interim bantamweight strap (and subtly implied that Ronda Rousey caused Dominick Cruz's ACL tear).
The MMA Hour. Ariel Helwani is back in your life with a packed lineup for The MMA Hour featuring Chael Sonnen, BJ Penn, Sean Sherk, Don Frye, Renzo Gracie, Braulio Estima, Mike Chandler and MMA Fighting's Ben Fowlkes.
Nate Marquardt vs. Tyron Woodley for Strikeforce welterweight title. Verbal agreements are in place for a July bout pitting Nate Marquardt against Tyron Woodley to decide the rightful heir to the vacant Strikeforce welterweight strap.
Michael Bisping 'pissed off' at Hector Lombard's future title shot. UFC mainstay Michael Bisping didn't shy away from venting his frustration regarding the promotion's plans to fast-track former Bellator champion Hector Lombard into a title shot.

MEDIA STEW
I'll let Tim Kennedy sell you on this one: "You want to see me dancing like a fairy in a Kimono, licking a sword, and prancing around in ranger panties, (then) watch this!"
http://youtu.be/8LrS_peO1mA

Another overlooked nugget of violence from the weekend: this 34-second barnburner between Bellator veteran Zelg Galesic and former WEC light heavyweight champ Doug Marshall from Super Fight League 3. (Fight starts at 4:24 for the impatient.)
http://youtu.be/pwhFxC4q5mM

Chael Sonnen has been making the media rounds to promote his new book, but you could take a hundred guesses and we'd bet you'd never guess what his talking point is for this promo clip. (HT: Middle Easy)
http://youtu.be/uuHsC_I_mZA

Former UFC bruiser Marcus Davis is inching towards middle-age, so taking his talents to kickboxing probably wasn't the best idea. Just a warning: this one is a little brutal to watch. (HT: Bloody Elbow)
http://youtu.be/SIAWyh6mLi0
Old 05-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Hailey's Dad

Didn't Matt Serra also get hurt and delay the Hughes/Serra fight for quite a while? I think they're on to something with the TUF coaches curse.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:35 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Didn't Matt Serra also get hurt and delay the Hughes/Serra fight for quite a while? I think they're on to something with the TUF coaches curse.
That's true. He bulged some discs showing a white belt a technique from mount.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
That's true. He bulged some discs showing a white belt a technique from mount.
That started the delay with him and Matt, but that was after TUF was over and like a month before the fight. Then Serra got whooped by GSP and then Matt messed his knee up fighting Alves.

This guy is grasping to make a story out of Cruz getting hurt. Before Cruz getting hurt it was Brock. Nothing happened to Bisping or Miller in between (aside from the digger Bisping took off the air hockey table).
Old 05-09-2012, 02:22 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
That started the delay with him and Matt, but that was after TUF was over and like a month before the fight. Then Serra got whooped by GSP and then Matt messed his knee up fighting Alves.

This guy is grasping to make a story out of Cruz getting hurt. Before Cruz getting hurt it was Brock. Nothing happened to Bisping or Miller in between (aside from the digger Bisping took off the air hockey table).

Old 05-09-2012, 03:24 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Quote:

Lol poor thing.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella79 View Post
Lol poor thing.
You can be concerned on the inside, but you know you were laughing on the outside
Old 05-09-2012, 06:35 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Quote:
You can be concerned on the inside, but you know you were laughing on the outside
I was lol!! He was showboating then bam! Well heck at least he looked hot doing so!
Old 05-10-2012, 03:15 PM

i like bisping, but he shouldn't be crying about lombard getting a potential title shot ... yes mike has been in the ufc for years, but he hasn't himself earned a title shot .. his best streak was 4 wins in a row against guys not in the top 10 .. or at the least guys barely in the top 10 .. even if he wins against boesth, which i think he will do easily, shouldn't get him a title shot ... everytime he fights a top 10 fighter, he loses .....
Old 05-10-2012, 03:18 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i like bisping, but he shouldn't be crying about lombard getting a potential title shot ... yes mike has been in the ufc for years, but he hasn't himself earned a title shot .. his best streak was 4 wins in a row against guys not in the top 10 .. or at the least guys barely in the top 10 .. even if he wins against boesth, which i think he will do easily, shouldn't get him a title shot ... everytime he fights a top 10 fighter, he loses .....
Why do you want to start this early? Seriously..
This isnt fair to him at all. We all know how he man handled Chael. Typical of you to go ahead and say some bs like this. Ok for that much why don't they open the flood gates and let every other orgs champs come on in and screw the UFC employees. Mike whether you like him nor not shows up to fight, makes his weight, fights and doesn't bore, attends UFC events, and has grown as a fighter within this org. You aren't forgetting this guy was purely a Kickboxer w/very little wrestling (if any) and JJ. Wow, he sure can keep up and I'm sorry yes Hamill beat him... But he beat Wandy and Chael!! IDGAcrap what nonsense you spout. You seem to like to stir the pot. Not on my watch with one of my faves. Ain't gonna happen. Keep talking you're a GSP fan.. and a guy for that much. Red wine, and vaseline all night.
Oh and Mike does not need to rely on any substances nor grease. BoomPow.