Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Student of the Sport

Default Overeem injured, JDS vs Mark Hunt at UFC 160

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/9/...on-for-ufc-160

Quote:
All's well that ends well for Mark Hunt.

A day after UFC president Dana White said Hunt turned down a fight against Junior dos Santos at UFC 160, "The Super Samoan" got the fight he wanted following a phone conversation with White Thursday night.

As a result, Hunt will now meet dos Santos on May 25 in Las Vegas. White confirmed the news with MMAFighting.com Saturday morning.

When contacted by MMAFighting.com, an ecstatic Hunt called the opportunity "my title shot." Hunt, who denied ever directly turning down the opportunity, was pleased with the outcome of the call, as was White. They would not discuss exactly what they spoke about.

An opening presented itself for Hunt after Alistair Overeem pulled out of the fight due to a quadriceps injury. Immediately after the Overeem news broke, Hunt told MMAFighting.com that he was willing and ready to fight dos Santos later this year.

No word just yet who Overeem will now face next or when he will return to action. Sources close to "The Reem" said he was shooting for a July return to the Octagon.

Hunt (9-7) enters the bout riding a four-fight winning streak following his knockout of Stefan Struve last Saturday night, while dos Santos (15-2) is coming off a heavyweight title loss to Cain Velasquez in December.

UFC 160, headlined by Cain Velasquez vs. Antonio Silva 2, will take place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. Hunt vs. dos Santos will serve as the co-main event.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:28 PM

This sounds like an even better match-up! I don't believe Dana is being honest about Mark turning down the JDS fight. It just doesn't make sense. Why would Hunt be "ecstatic" about his "title shot" if he had just turned it down the day before? Maybe one of his people misspoke but that's a pretty damn big assumtion to make for Mark. Dana loves his drama.

Well, either way, looking forward to the fight!

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 03-10-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
This sounds like an even better match-up! I don't believe Dana is being honest about Mark turning down the JDS fight. It just doesn't make sense. Why would Hunt be "ecstatic" about his "title shot" if he had just turned it down the day before? Maybe one of his people misspoke but that's a pretty damn big assumtion to make for Mark. Dana loves his drama.

Well, either way, looking forward to the fight!
I thought the same thing.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:15 PM

like that mark jumped into this fight, but i don't see it going well for him .... jds gonna be posessed after his last fight beating ...