Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-23-2009, 05:26 AM
Josh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The part that amazes me is that Lashley failed multiple takedown attepts. How can that be? I understand his body is pretty worn out but still it's hard to believe.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-23-2009, 06:05 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
hahahaha thats why I was giving him crap


because he should have squished him like a bug, but actually didn't even hurt him
Again, it was the man's SECOND fight in pro MMA. Jason Guida has had 37 pro fights, even if he is a journeyman. Just like I said in my original post, you are making it out like Lashley is a big letdown, but the only reason you think that is because of a preconceived notion that Lashley should have walked right through Guida. That may be your opinion, but I disagree. Regardless of what excuses anybody tries to make, or what they think of Lashley, the bottom line is HE WON. A guy with 1 pro fight beat a guy with 36 pro fights. That is impressive to me, and I think Bobby will keep getting better. Every fight in the world is only one punch away from being over. So, it's not the first time a fight did not go the way people "thought" it was going to happen. I can understand criticism, Lashley definitely has some work to do. The only reason your original post really sparked a response was because I had already read some similar criticisms of Lashley around the web, and I just don't get it.

Granted, I understand your point and that you were largely poking fun, but I do think there is a bigger issue with fighters like Lesnar and Lashley. Because of their popularity from Pro-Wrestling, they are getting tossed directly into the spotlight. If Lesnar looses to Mir again, I am willing to bet that most of the MMA community will say "see I told you he was not that good", all without mentioning he has only had 4 pro fights. Those fighters know that they are going to get extra attention when they fight because of their celebrity status, but I think that we as fans should be realistic about what we expect from guys who don't even have 10 fights under their belt.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-23-2009, 06:09 AM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
you are making it out like Lashley is a big letdown, but the only reason you think that is because of a preconceived notion that Lashley should have walked right through Guida.


Granted, I understand your point and that you were largely poking fun, but I do think there is a bigger issue with fighters like Lesnar and Lashley. Because of their popularity from Pro-Wrestling, they are getting tossed directly into the spotlight.
it was a JOKE because of size, but yes he should have been able to beat him into a tko or a KO. He isn't joe off the street, he is a 3x champ wrestler and a complete giant.


And to the second part i quoted, that isn't a problem, they WANT that,
they want the spotlight, lesnar came to a UFC even and sought out the spotlight,
he didn't train for a few years and go to some small show.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-23-2009, 06:38 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
it was a JOKE because of size, but yes he should have been able to beat him into a tko or a KO. He isn't joe off the street, he is a 3x champ wrestler and a complete giant.


And to the second part i quoted, that isn't a problem, they WANT that,
they want the spotlight, lesnar came to a UFC even and sought out the spotlight,
he didn't train for a few years and go to some small show.
Dude, size is one thing, but just because he has the size and he did not beat him into a TKO or knock him out cold does make Lashley a let-down or a joke. How many big name fighters have had fights that were boring, or not what we expected? Just about ALL of them that I can think of. That is how fighting goes.

Yes, they DO want the spotlight, just like every other aspiring fighter in the world. There is nothing wrong with them wanting the spotlight. Any fighter would take that kind offer if they had the chance. But if you are going to be critical as a fan, you should at least be impartial and look at it from a realistic point of view. This is a sport. Just like any other sport, even Pro-Wrestling. Being successful at any sport requires talent, time, training, and even bumps in the road. Being successful at one sport does not mean you can be as successful at another, even when the two sports have similarities.

It's his second fight and he won by UD. I see no let down. Just a fighter who is still up and coming and has some work to do.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-23-2009, 11:24 AM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

not bad for his second fight ... considering his opponent has what??? close to 30 fights? (if i am way off, sorry, i am not up on Guida's record)

i don't think anyone thought he would be making Brock type strides, but more training and you never know ...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,982
Default

I was actually more disappointed in Guida and thought Lashley did a damn fine job. The one point during the second round where Lashley pinned Guida's hand behind hsi own head was sweet. He stand up (although a little tight) was quick and seemed pretty accurate. not bad for fight #2
here's part of rounds 1 and 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSv3vOAFlw4
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I guess what frustrates me is when before the fight fans (nobody in particular) build him up as this beast that's going to blow Jason off the map. Then after the fight when it dosen't happen it's "well what do you expect it's his 2nd fight"...

We saw that a lot with Brock too...

I guess that's the way of the internet............
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-23-2009, 03:41 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I guess what frustrates me is when before the fight fans (nobody in particular) build him up as this beast that's going to blow Jason off the map. Then after the fight when it dosen't happen it's "well what do you expect it's his 2nd fight"...

We saw that a lot with Brock too...

I guess that's the way of the internet............

For the record, I never did that, but I did expect Lashley to win, and I do think he has the potential to go far.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
For the record, I never did that, but I did expect Lashley to win, and I do think he has the potential to go far.
I know you didn't JB and I do agree with you. The guy is stacked with potential just like Brock. It's just when folks (maybe WWE fans?) start touting these guys as the next great thing then when they lose it's "Well what did you expect?" Stuff like that drives me nuts!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Jeff Crow's Avatar
Jeff Crow Jeff Crow is offline
Crowbar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nokomis, IL
Posts: 440
Default

I still believe he is a beast and will be very good. I was pretty disappointed in his fight as he could have done much better and at some point finished Guida. He just didn't have a good game plan or didn't use it due to letting Guida get into his head before the fight. He appeared to come out and just try and man handle Guida from the get go. He tried to hard for those takedowns too early and expended a lot of energy. I think he should have tried to keep it standing longer and setting them up.

I think you will see a much more focused and better fighter in his next fight.

I still however don't think he is near as good as Brock right now and probably never will be. Brock seems to have picked up things much quicker. His stand-up looks better than Lashleys. At least I think his technique looks better.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.