Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Bellator Boss Bjorn Rebney Confirms Hector Lombard Is UFC-Bound

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
Apr 24, 2012 - World-ranked middleweight Hector Lombard will leave his longtime home at Bellator and sign with the UFC.

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney confirmed the move to MMA Fighting on Tuesday afternoon.

Lombard currently has one of the longest unbeaten streaks in MMA. He hasn't lost a fight since December 2006. Since then, he's gone 25 straight fights without a defeat.

Bellator had a right to match the UFC's offer to the man who was their reigning middleweight champion, but Rebney cited differences between the two organizational models as the obstacle that could not be overcome when it came to matching the UFC's deal.

"We have a business model where we make decisions based on analyzing data," he said. "Since the first day we came into being, we made decisions based on real models, not hypotheticals. The UFC model is largely based on pay-per-view, and the offer they made to Hector is going to be monetized via pay-per-view. While pay-per-view could play a role in our future, today it doesn't. So, we did our due diligence to review the UFC contract, analyzed it in terms of charging our audience to see Hector vs. putting him on free TV, and we decided to allow the UFC to sign Hector, where I am extremely confident he will win the UFC middleweight title on pay-per-view."

Lombard, along with former lightweight champ Eddie Alvarez, were the first two fighters Rebney signed when he began the promotion in 2008. Because of their long bond, Rebney said he felt he owed it to Lombard to make a quick decision.

"There was no reason to make him wait," he said. "We got the information. We got the very long UFC contract, looked at the data, did the analysis, and made our decision."

Lombard, who is 31-2-1 overall with 1 no contest, went 8-0 with seven knockouts during his run in Bellator, capturing his championship in June 2009 with a fourth-round TKO of Jared Hess. He also successfully defended the belt in a unanimous decision win over Alexander Shlemenko, the only time in his last eight fights his opponent made it to the judges' scorecards.

"He was a great fighter here, and there's no doubt in my mind he'll be a great fighter when he goes to the UFC," Rebney said. "I've said for a long time he's the best middleweight in the world, and I think he'll win the UFC title in short order."

Over the weekend, UFC president Dana White confirmed his interest in Lombard, saying, "I like him. I like him a lot."

Now, it appears he has his man.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:10 PM

I've never seen this guy fight... is he any good?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:20 PM

The guy's built like the incredible hulk. He certainly LOOKS like he can fight, lol.

His stand up is really good, and he's got very good power...he's a 4th level black belt in Judo & former Olympian to boot, so he's not easy to take down. I haven't seen much of his ground game because of that, but he does hold a BJJ black belt, so he isn't a slouch, obviously.

I do think he'd beat guys like Yushin, Stann, Wandi. Not so sure about Anderson, Bisping & Sonnen.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetar View Post
The guy's built like the incredible hulk. He certainly LOOKS like he can fight, lol.

His stand up is really good, and he's got very good power...he's a 4th level black belt in Judo & former Olympian to boot, so he's not easy to take down. I haven't seen much of his ground game because of that, but he does hold a BJJ black belt, so he isn't a slouch, obviously.

I do think he'd beat guys like Yushin, Stann, Wandi. Not so sure about Anderson, Bisping & Sonnen.
Exactly on point!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
I've never seen this guy fight... is he any good?
yep. vitor belfort, rashad evans and rousimar palhares all wrapped up into one fighter.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntereo View Post
yep. vitor belfort, rashad evans and rousimar palhares all wrapped up into one fighter.
Damn he sounds like he is very good then! Im gonna Youtube some clips.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Damn he sounds like he is very good then! Im gonna Youtube some clips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5nsUFeVsjE

i like this one. He may strike, wrestle and submit like the guys i mentioned but the JUDO IS ALL SHANGO! can you tell i'm a fan?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:57 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1aL5CCKYFg

this ones better.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntereo View Post
Damn this guy is a beast!! I wonder why it took him this long to make it to the UFC!

I agree I think Vitor Belfort would be a good match for him!

Maybe they can fight in August or September. Im sure Vitor will be ready.. I dont see his fight with Silva lasting more than half a round anyway.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Damn this guy is a beast!! I wonder why it took him this long to make it to the UFC!

I agree I think Vitor Belfort would be a good match for him!

Maybe they can fight in August or September. Im sure Vitor will be ready.. I dont see his fight with Silva lasting more than half a round anyway.
It's taken him this long because Bellator got him in like their first season back before anyone knew who he was & they've done a phenomenal job developing him. His contract just now ran out & the UFC snapped him up ASAP.