Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 04-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Hughes fanboy

Default "respect" for the martial arts

I don't really get that. Anderson Silva says Chael does not have "respect" for martial arts.

So what if doesn't? Does it make him less of a fighter? Bowing, wearing a gi is somehow "honoring" martial arts? Please

All that matters in a fight is whether or not you can beat your opponent. Sick of people like Anderson up on his high horse bitching about "honoring the martial arts".

Martial arts deserves no more honor than does football, baseball or hockey.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
I don't really get that. Anderson Silva says Chael does not have "respect" for martial arts.

So what if doesn't? Does it make him less of a fighter? Bowing, wearing a gi is somehow "honoring" martial arts? Please

All that matters in a fight is whether or not you can beat your opponent. Sick of people like Anderson up on his high horse bitching about "honoring the martial arts".

Martial arts deserves no more honor than does football, baseball or hockey.
In all those sports there is a code of honor. In football you dont try and take out a players knees on purpose. In baseball, dont throw at the head and if you hit our guy with a pitch expect one of your guys to get hit. In hockey if you cheap shot one of our stars expect to have to pay for it by fighting someone. There are unwritten rules in every sport.

^this is what perfection looks like
Old 04-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Hughes fanboy

Those aren't ancient sports with spiritual ties. That is the honor I am talking about. We're supposed to regard martial artists as warriors and honor their "code" as though it carries some sort of supernatural heritage.

I think its one of the greatest fictions ever devised.

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 04-25-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
Those aren't ancient sports with spiritual ties. That is the honor I am talking about. We're supposed to regard martial artists as warriors and honor their "code" as though it carries some sort of supernatural heritage.

I think its one of the greatest fictions ever devised.
well I dont really agree with that, considering MMA has no spiritual ties to it. Just like BJJ has not spiritual ties to it. I think you should just show some type of respect for your opponent. If you dont then dont get mad when he holds that choke for just a bit longer than he should or gets in one more punch after you are out cold.

^this is what perfection looks like
Old 04-25-2012, 02:00 AM
Hughes fanboy

I agree there. Respect for the other fighter, but that's not usually what people say. They say "have respect for martial arts" as though they have some kind of claim over martial arts as some kind of honored system that thereby has earned respect...problem is...no thing "deserves" respect, only the people who practice it do.

They should say "have respect for martial artists" in stead.