Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Default California could apply the Ali Boxing act to MMA

Why is nobody around here talking about this?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

I don't know much about the Ali boxing act. Mind enlightening me & explaining how it can/should be applied to MMA?
Old 04-13-2012, 12:52 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I don't know much about the Ali boxing act. Mind enlightening me & explaining how it can/should be applied to MMA?
Thanks Ben, I thought you'd never ask!

In short, the Ali Act was designed to protect boxers from corrupt promoters, and ultimately themselves. It is a federal law, and if MMA were to be added to the mix on a federal level, it would basically void all the contracts under the current Zuffa business model. Needless to say, this is not something Dana White is a fan of.

Word on the street is, California is looking to vote on making this act apply to California state law in terms of MMA. Which could actually severe ties between the UFC and the state of California (not definitely, but very possibly). It's not getting much coverage right now, but this is a VERY big deal, especially if it passes.

For JB it would be a huge personal win, only because I've been saying this for YEARS. MMA can't avoid becoming like boxing, no matter how many times Dana White says boxing is "dead".

Here are some details on the Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhamma...ing_Reform_Act
Old 04-13-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I haven't seen it in the news only on forums, but we discussed it a few years ago.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Thanks Ben, I thought you'd never ask!

In short, the Ali Act was designed to protect boxers from corrupt promoters, and ultimately themselves. It is a federal law, and if MMA were to be added to the mix on a federal level, it would basically void all the contracts under the current Zuffa business model. Needless to say, this is not something Dana White is a fan of.

Word on the street is, California is looking to vote on making this act apply to California state law in terms of MMA. Which could actually severe ties between the UFC and the state of California (not definitely, but very possibly). It's not getting much coverage right now, but this is a VERY big deal, especially if it passes.

For JB it would be a huge personal win, only because I've been saying this for YEARS. MMA can't avoid becoming like boxing, no matter how many times Dana White says boxing is "dead".

Here are some details on the Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhamma...ing_Reform_Act
The very first part of the wiki article is

The Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act is a federal law enacted in the United States that provides for various legal protections to boxers as well as assisting states in regulating boxing as a sport. The legislation was enacted due to boxing's unique position in American sports, not having any organized league or rule-making body to ensure appropriate business practices, and due to the lack of protection offered to boxers from the various sanctioning bodies (e.g., the WBO, WBC, IBF, and others).

There are organized leagues in MMA so because of that I would not think that MMA would fall under this law. I hope for MMA's sake that it doesnt.

^this is what perfection looks like
Old 04-13-2012, 01:14 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I haven't seen it in the news only on forums, but we discussed it a few years ago.
The only place I have heard this talked about, at this point, is on Sherdog radio by Greg Savage. I guess the news of it only came down the pipe this week, but clearly this has been in the works.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:23 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
The very first part of the wiki article is

The Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act is a federal law enacted in the United States that provides for various legal protections to boxers as well as assisting states in regulating boxing as a sport. The legislation was enacted due to boxing's unique position in American sports, not having any organized league or rule-making body to ensure appropriate business practices, and due to the lack of protection offered to boxers from the various sanctioning bodies (e.g., the WBO, WBC, IBF, and others).

There are organized leagues in MMA so because of that I would not think that MMA would fall under this law. I hope for MMA's sake that it doesnt.
"organized" is a subjective term. Try again!

"for MMA's sake"? Really? How does protecting the fighters from corrupt promoters really hurt the sport?
Old 04-13-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
The only place I have heard this talked about, at this point, is on Sherdog radio by Greg Savage. I guess the news of it only came down the pipe this week, but clearly this has been in the works.
I support it.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
"organized" is a subjective term. Try again!

"for MMA's sake"? Really? How does protecting the fighters from corrupt promoters really hurt the sport?
I dont think there are that many corrupt promoters in MMA. In a lot of cases I feel that fighters are paid what they are worth, or what they were worth at the time the contract was signed. Boxing right now is not dead but its def not thriving. I dont want to see MMA become what boxign has become

^this is what perfection looks like
Old 04-13-2012, 03:44 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I dont think there are that many corrupt promoters in MMA. In a lot of cases I feel that fighters are paid what they are worth, or what they were worth at the time the contract was signed. Boxing right now is not dead but its def not thriving. I dont want to see MMA become what boxign has become
How is boxing not thriving? It's a global sport, just like MMA. Just because it's not as popular as it once was here in America, doesn't mean it's completely lackluster. People just don't follow boxing as much, because humans are a lot like sheep when it comes to marketing. MMA is the "cool" and "hip" thing to be into, and boxing is "old" and "lame". MMA fans (myself included) are a funny breed too, because they act like they hate pro-wrestling, but follow it's path like a repressed homosexual that cracks "fag" jokes at the dinner table.

If you really don't think there are very many corrupt promoters in MMA, I don't know how to help you. I guess I could try to educate you but, not only would that take all day, I also think it would be futile because you seem to have your mind made up.