Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-28-2012, 04:19 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Default Surprise drug tests

The heavyweights that make up the UFC 146 main card are big guys, in fact, they are massive, but are they cheats, are they taking performance enhancers?

We will know soon enough.

In a rare occurrence the Nevada State Athletic Commission exercised their right to make six UFC 146 participants adhere to their out-of-competition drug testing program.

Immediately following yesterday “UFC 146: Dos Santos vs. Overeem” pre-fight press conference the NSAC required the entire panel of fighters to submit to the random testing.

Roy Nelson, Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva, Cain Velasquez, Frank Mir, Junior Dos Santos and Alistair Overeem submitted urine specimens for the purposes of screening for banned substances of abuse and performance enhancing drugs.

Results of the testing will be available in the next 7-14 days.

Out of the six tested Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva is the only fighter to ever test positive for performance enhancing drugs.

www.bjpenn.com
Old 03-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Stump Rules!

Does it really matter what these guys do on their own time? As long as they test clean at fight time I don't care what they do with the rest of their time. Am I missing something?

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 03-28-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

With regards to Bigfoot, although he had his pituitary gland removed due to his giantism, could there be some lingering hormonal issues for him that could trigger a false positive?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Hailey's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
Does it really matter what these guys do on their own time? As long as they test clean at fight time I don't care what they do with the rest of their time. Am I missing something?
+1

If this becomes common practice, look for the physique and performance of many fighters to drop off.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Stump Rules!

Then we will have nothing but low end fighters
Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
+1

If this becomes common practice, look for the physique and performance of many fighters to drop off.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 03-29-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
well if I murder a bunch of people is it all good if I can hide it when the police come and ask me about it?

^this is what perfection looks like
Old 03-29-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
of course it matters, because it is an unfair advantage ... if i am using drugs in the off season and cycling off when my fight comes around, that whole time in training i was able to get stronger, fight through injuries, avoid injuries and train longer and harder ... if the ufc wants a level playing field, they need to do more surprise tests like this ...
Old 03-29-2012, 02:15 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
of course it matters, because it is an unfair advantage ... if i am using drugs in the off season and cycling off when my fight comes around, that whole time in training i was able to get stronger, fight through injuries, avoid injuries and train longer and harder ... if the ufc wants a level playing field, they need to do more surprise tests like this ...
I agree 100%. I'll take it a step further and say that it not only needs to be done at random times both in and out of competition, but it needs to include blood in addition to urine, and it needs to be done by Zuffa. Obviously it's gonna be next to impossible to get every athletic commission in the world to get on the exact same page, but that doesn't stop Zuffa from going above and beyond what the commissions do to in terms of testing the fighters they have under contract.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I agree 100%. I'll take it a step further and say that it not only needs to be done at random times both in and out of competition, but it needs to include blood in addition to urine, and it needs to be done by Zuffa. Obviously it's gonna be next to impossible to get every athletic commission in the world to get on the exact same page, but that doesn't stop Zuffa from going above and beyond what the commissions do to in terms of testing the fighters they have under contract.
I don't think Zuffa wants to lose most of its fighters.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:31 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
I don't think Zuffa wants to lose most of its fighters.
Why would they lose most of their fighters? Because Dennis Hallman told some reporter that 90% of them are using PED's?

We don't really know how many guys are using, so that's just speculation. It also doesn't mean that all the guys who are using will automatically get caught either. It does mean that the standards and scrutiny will be higher, which will likely force a lot of guys who DO use to think twice about doing it. What is the incentive for them to stop if they know exactly how to work the system by cycling properly or getting some sort of "therapeutic use exemption"? If they feel like they can get an exemption, or the chance of failing the test is very little, then the rewards of using PED's can far outweigh the risks in a lot of cases.

If the WWE can implement a "wellness policy" on it's weekly traveling group of drunks, coke-heads, and pill-poppers then I think the UFC can implement a policy on it's talent as well. Especially when we say that MMA is actually considered a real sport and people bet a lot of money on the UFC. Besides that, the UFC is set up just like the WWE, and the brand name is supposed to be bigger than the talent. If they had to kick some popular guys out for using PED's, then so be it. Dana could just get on the microphone and sell us the next guys in line as "the best in the world" and life would go on. The NFL, NBA, and MLB don't care if they have to come down hard on people who break the rules even if they are popular and those leagues seem to be doing just fine. Heck, those leagues still manage to do it and they actually have to deal with unions!