Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 03-21-2012, 06:58 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Default Roger Goodell drops the hammer

Saints head coach Sean Payton has been suspended for the entire season and assistant coach Greg Williams is suspended indefinitely over the "bounty-gate" scandal. I knew the punishment would be stiff, but I didn't think it would be this stiff.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...-year-bounties
Old 03-21-2012, 07:15 PM

wow .... that is nuts ... payton should have never said he knew about it ...
Old 03-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Saints head coach Sean Payton has been suspended for the entire season and assistant coach Greg Williams is suspended indefinitely over the "bounty-gate" scandal. I knew the punishment would be stiff, but I didn't think it would be this stiff.

Wow, that is intense!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:

I hope they think it was worth it; they certainly earned every bit of what they're getting. I hope they come down hard on the players involved too.

I'm not saying he does, but if Drew Brees thinks this is too harsh a punishment, and that Payton is such a great man and great coach, maybe he should stop and think about if another coach/team had set out to deliberately try to sideline him, possibly ending his career, what punishment would he think is appropriate then.

Btw, did Brees know this was going on? I find it hard to believe that something like this would be going on for three years and the rest of the team wouldn't know about it.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
wow .... that is nuts ... payton should have never said he knew about it ...
Seriously?! Besides, from the article, other people were talking and saying he did know so...
Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 PM

Men!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:02 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I hope they think it was worth it; they certainly earned every bit of what they're getting. I hope they come down hard on the players involved too.

I'm not saying he does, but if Drew Brees thinks this is too harsh a punishment, and that Payton is such a great man and great coach, maybe he should stop and think about if another coach/team had set out to deliberately try to sideline him, possibly ending his career, what punishment would he think is appropriate then.

Btw, did Brees know this was going on? I find it hard to believe that something like this would be going on for three years and the rest of the team wouldn't know about it.
Brees had to know, and Brees has got to walk a fine line in what he says on this one because he is one of the top spokesmen for the player's association.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:58 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

All 32 teams are required to send a signed letter back to Roger Goodell by the end of next week that confirms they do NOT have a system like this on their squad.

The Saints have officially been made an example of.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

It's too bad it had to go down like this over something has been going on for years amongst players, but I can't say I disagree with the league's stance. It would be real easy for me to bash the Saints, especially knowing that they basically ended Kurt Warner's career during that run, but if Kurt ain't mad how can I be? This stuff was commonplace...but not anymore.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
All 32 teams are required to send a signed letter back to Roger Goodell by the end of next week that confirms they do NOT have a system like this on their squad.

The Saints have officially been made an example of.
Quote:
It's too bad it had to go down like this over something has been going on for years amongst players, but I can't say I disagree with the league's stance. It would be real easy for me to bash the Saints, especially knowing that they basically ended Kurt Warner's career during that run, but if Kurt ain't mad how can I be? This stuff was commonplace...but not anymore.
From what some of the sports people have been saying, it was known that the Saints were doing this (I guess from 3 years ago) and they had been warned to stop it. I'm not sure if they were given multiple warnings which would equal multiple chances, but from what was said, it was their lies when asked about it that really brought down the sledge hammer on their heads.

Hey, what about Favre, do you think his career was prematurely ended too?

I couldn't resist bringing him up!