Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-21-2012, 06:58 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default Roger Goodell drops the hammer

Saints head coach Sean Payton has been suspended for the entire season and assistant coach Greg Williams is suspended indefinitely over the "bounty-gate" scandal. I knew the punishment would be stiff, but I didn't think it would be this stiff.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...-year-bounties
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-21-2012, 07:15 PM
rearnakedchoke rearnakedchoke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,556
Default

wow .... that is nuts ... payton should have never said he knew about it ...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-21-2012, 07:20 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
Allons-y
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,298
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Saints head coach Sean Payton has been suspended for the entire season and assistant coach Greg Williams is suspended indefinitely over the "bounty-gate" scandal. I knew the punishment would be stiff, but I didn't think it would be this stiff.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...-year-bounties
Wow, that is intense!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Saints head coach Sean Payton has been suspended for the entire season and assistant coach Greg Williams is suspended indefinitely over the "bounty-gate" scandal. I knew the punishment would be stiff, but I didn't think it would be this stiff.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...-year-bounties
I hope they think it was worth it; they certainly earned every bit of what they're getting. I hope they come down hard on the players involved too.

I'm not saying he does, but if Drew Brees thinks this is too harsh a punishment, and that Payton is such a great man and great coach, maybe he should stop and think about if another coach/team had set out to deliberately try to sideline him, possibly ending his career, what punishment would he think is appropriate then.

Btw, did Brees know this was going on? I find it hard to believe that something like this would be going on for three years and the rest of the team wouldn't know about it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
wow .... that is nuts ... payton should have never said he knew about it ...
Seriously?! Besides, from the article, other people were talking and saying he did know so...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,587
Default

Men!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-21-2012, 08:02 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I hope they think it was worth it; they certainly earned every bit of what they're getting. I hope they come down hard on the players involved too.

I'm not saying he does, but if Drew Brees thinks this is too harsh a punishment, and that Payton is such a great man and great coach, maybe he should stop and think about if another coach/team had set out to deliberately try to sideline him, possibly ending his career, what punishment would he think is appropriate then.

Btw, did Brees know this was going on? I find it hard to believe that something like this would be going on for three years and the rest of the team wouldn't know about it.
Brees had to know, and Brees has got to walk a fine line in what he says on this one because he is one of the top spokesmen for the player's association.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-22-2012, 10:58 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

All 32 teams are required to send a signed letter back to Roger Goodell by the end of next week that confirms they do NOT have a system like this on their squad.

The Saints have officially been made an example of.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

It's too bad it had to go down like this over something has been going on for years amongst players, but I can't say I disagree with the league's stance. It would be real easy for me to bash the Saints, especially knowing that they basically ended Kurt Warner's career during that run, but if Kurt ain't mad how can I be? This stuff was commonplace...but not anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
All 32 teams are required to send a signed letter back to Roger Goodell by the end of next week that confirms they do NOT have a system like this on their squad.

The Saints have officially been made an example of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
It's too bad it had to go down like this over something has been going on for years amongst players, but I can't say I disagree with the league's stance. It would be real easy for me to bash the Saints, especially knowing that they basically ended Kurt Warner's career during that run, but if Kurt ain't mad how can I be? This stuff was commonplace...but not anymore.
From what some of the sports people have been saying, it was known that the Saints were doing this (I guess from 3 years ago) and they had been warned to stop it. I'm not sure if they were given multiple warnings which would equal multiple chances, but from what was said, it was their lies when asked about it that really brought down the sledge hammer on their heads.

Hey, what about Favre, do you think his career was prematurely ended too?

I couldn't resist bringing him up!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.