Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-20-2012, 01:37 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Tito Ortiz Announces Rubber Match With Forrest Griffin for UFC 148

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
Mar 20, 2012 - Tito Ortiz will conclude his heated trilogy with Forrest Griffin at UFC 148. Ortiz announced the bout late Monday night via Twitter.

The 37-year-old Ortiz campaigned vigorously for a final meeting with Griffin, and is expected to retire following the rubber match.

UFC 148 is scheduled for July 7, 2012 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. The card will likely be headlined by another contentious trilogy, as The Ultimate Fighter 15 coaches Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber square off for the UFC bantamweight title. Also featured are middleweight bouts Rich Franklin vs. Cung Le and Michael Bisping vs. Tim Boetsch, as well as a bantamweight clash between Renan Barao and Jeff Hougland.

Ortiz and Griffin met twice previously, with each man claiming a victory. The pair first fought at UFC 59, where Ortiz nabbed a narrow split decision win. Griffin found his revenge three years later, taking the judges' nod via another split decision at UFC 106.

Suffice to say, both men have experienced mixed results since that meeting.

Ortiz (16-10-1), a former UFC light heavyweight champion and the owner of the most fights in UFC history, stumbled through a winless streak from 2006 to 2010, until upsetting Ryan Bader with a stunning first-round submission victory at UFC 132. However the momentum was short-lived, and Ortiz has since dropped two straight contests to Rashad Evans and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

Griffin (18-7), meanwhile, has split his two appearances since the Ortiz rematch, defeating Rich Franklin via unanimous decision at UFC 126 before falling to Mauricio Rua at UFC 134.
Man, UFC 148 is getting more & more rawesome!!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:04 PM

Damn!!! This is Sick Card!!! I want to go to this one hopefully I have money
Old 03-20-2012, 04:14 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Oh and I will be there!! I don't care at what expense I am going. Team BISPING!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Stump Rules!

Tito is retiring again???

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 03-20-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
Tito is retiring again???
Hopefully this time for good.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:42 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
Hopefully this time for good.
Lol.. I love Tito.. He is misunderstood. We share the same horoscope sign.. lol.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella79 View Post
Oh and I will be there!! I don't care at what expense I am going. Team BISPING!!!
I will be there too! This is a great card and the UFC Fan Expo is that weekend too.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:27 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I will be there too! This is a great card and the UFC Fan Expo is that weekend too.
Awesome!! DM me we can meet up for a beverage.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:40 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

I will definitely be watching, and I love to see some of the semi old-school guys like Tito, Forrest, and Rich, but I'm not totally blown away by this card either. Cung-Le can be fun to watch, but it's hard to know what to make of it because every time he fights you never know if or when he's gonna fight again because of his movie career. Bisping vs Boetsch has potential to be a good one, but it seems like a bad situation for Bisping because he has everything to lose and seemingly very little to gain if he wins. As for Barao vs Hougland, that looks like the same for Barao as it does for Bisping in terms of risk/reward factor, except it's much more likely that Barao crushes Hougland than it is that Bisping beats Boetsch.

Of course there is Cruz/Faber 3, and that fight seems like it should make the whole card worthwhile even if the other fights fail to deliver in terms of entertainment. All in all, it should turn out to be a great night of fights, I'm just not sure it's the "card of the year" at this point like some people on other forums have suggested. Ya never know though, the cards that look great on paper usually fall short and the ones that look like crap are typically the best ones.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:57 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I will definitely be watching, and I love to see some of the semi old-school guys like Tito, Forrest, and Rich, but I'm not totally blown away by this card either. Cung-Le can be fun to watch, but it's hard to know what to make of it because every time he fights you never know if or when he's gonna fight again because of his movie career. Bisping vs Boetsch has potential to be a good one, but it seems like a bad situation for Bisping because he has everything to lose and seemingly very little to gain if he wins. As for Barao vs Hougland, that looks like the same for Barao as it does for Bisping in terms of risk/reward factor, except it's much more likely that Barao crushes Hougland than it is that Bisping beats Boetsch.

Of course there is Cruz/Faber 3, and that fight seems like it should make the whole card worthwhile even if the other fights fail to deliver in terms of entertainment. All in all, it should turn out to be a great night of fights, I'm just not sure it's the "card of the year" at this point like some people on other forums have suggested. Ya never know though, the cards that look great on paper usually fall short and the ones that look like crap are typically the best ones.
The only positives I see with Bisping fighting is he will keep himself busy until he meets winner of Sonnen/Silva.. Oh and that I will be there to watch him live LOL...