Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-21-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
You only listed 9 of the 17 PPV's. Just saying...let's put it all out there.
Im pretty sure there were only 16 PPV's, UFC 138 was free on spike. Now I only listed the PPV's with title fights as the main events. I would also have bought / did buy
Penn v Fitch
Penn v Diaz
Shogun v Henderson
Lesnar v Overeem

So IMO there were 13/16 PPV's worth buying. So 81% of the PPV's in 2011 were worth buying IMO, I dont think thats bad at all. So far this year I think all 3 of the PPV's have been worth buying as well as UFC 145 and UFC 146.

^this is what perfection looks like
Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Man you are right, the UFC should be motivated to change up the way they do their PPV's because 2 people on Matt's forum would rather stream the PPV's instead of buying them or going out someplace and watching them.......
Well, they'll be motivated when they continue to lose more and more PPV revenue by putting up too many blah cards and obviously there are a whole heck of a lot of people watching the streams.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Instead of using scare tactics and ugly language to describe a small number of people who ARE fans of the sport and DO spend money on it, maybe Dana should worry about making the most of this newly signed deal with FOX so the sport can continue to grow and hopefully move away from this over-saturation of overpriced PPV's. Dana has been saying for years that the UFC will be bigger than the NFL, but I don't know a single NFL fan who spends a thousand dollars a year just to watch their team's games on TV. Heck, you can get NFL Sunday Ticket and watch EVERY game for much less than half of that.
This is a great point. I missed it earlier when I was skimming comments.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
1. I agree with this. There's one sports bar near us; it's crowded, loud and obnoxious. Not to mention, if you want to sit down you have to get there at least 2 hours before the fights start.

2. I'm with BradW, great analogy, and why pay for a ho-hum card? Although for sure we bought more than 4, after a couple of them we really thought it was a waste of $$. You throw in a couple PPVs in the same month and we end up with a $250 Comcast bill.
1. how small of a town do you live in? there are at least 8 places within 20 mins of me that show UFC (and 3 of them are BWW's).

2. sometimes its hard to determine what is going to be a good fight just based on looking at the card. Big names dont always equal good fights and sometimes the no name guys put on amazing fights. There have been cards that I thought were going to be great that I ended up not liking and cards I thought were going to be so/so that ended up being amazing.

^this is what perfection looks like
Old 03-21-2012, 01:01 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Man you are right, the UFC should be motivated to change up the way they do their PPV's because 2 people on Matt's forum would rather stream the PPV's instead of buying them or going out someplace and watching them.......
C'mon Flo....you should know I'm not trying to speak just from a MHF level.

EDIT: I apologize if I misread your comment...but I sensed some sarcasm, lol

Last edited by J.B.; 03-21-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:06 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Im pretty sure there were only 16 PPV's, UFC 138 was free on spike. Now I only listed the PPV's with title fights as the main events. I would also have bought / did buy
Penn v Fitch
Penn v Diaz
Shogun v Henderson
Lesnar v Overeem

So IMO there were 13/16 PPV's worth buying. So 81% of the PPV's in 2011 were worth buying IMO, I dont think thats bad at all. So far this year I think all 3 of the PPV's have been worth buying as well as UFC 145 and UFC 146.
16 or 17 doesn't matter, but I counted 17.

It also doesn't matter what your or my opinion was/is on buying those fights. The fact is MOST people felt is was TOO many and TOO much money for last year. Here's the real question, do you think Zuffa should attempt to sue people who watched a stream?

EDIT: you are right about 138, I stand corrected.

Last edited by J.B.; 03-21-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Penn v Fitch
Penn v Diaz
Shogun v Henderson
Lesnar v Overeem

not everybody has 700 to 800 bucks a year to spend on ufc PPVs like you do so some of us have to be a little more selective.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:23 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
1. how small of a town do you live in? there are at least 8 places within 20 mins of me that show UFC (and 3 of them are BWW's).
Not sure where you live, but even here in the valley I can't find 3 Buffalo Wild Wings within 20 mins on my house. Which is funny, because the only one I know of actually had a huge UFC party last year when I was conveniently out of town where my friends got drunk and watched the fights with Cain Velasquez.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:25 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradW View Post
not everybody has 700 to 800 bucks a year to spend on ufc PPVs like you do so some of us have to be a little more selective.
LOL, I doubt he bought em all either.....he's just being a cynic.

and yes, it takes one to know one!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:

2. sometimes its hard to determine what is going to be a good fight just based on looking at the card. Big names dont always equal good fights and sometimes the no name guys put on amazing fights. There have been cards that I thought were going to be great that I ended up not liking and cards I thought were going to be so/so that ended up being amazing.
It's pretty small, Max, there are lots of bars and tavs but I'm just talking close to us (not to mention my rowdy, drinking days ended about 2 decades ago).

I agree with you on your second point, you're exactly right. It's all a toss-up. I never miss buying the HW, LHW or MW fights. But when they schedule 2 PPV a month and one turns out blah, it's still $100 more on our bill. I think Dana makes a mistake to saturate the market (so to speak) with more than one a month. They have lots of fighters so they need to put on more freebies which in turn keep us fans happy and draw in new fans as well. That's how it would be if I ruled the world.