Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-20-2012, 04:10 PM

why are people acting like they have to buy the UFC events to watch them? I watch 90% at sports bars with costs me at most $25 (that includes the price of a meal and a couple beers). Dana is not making you pay $65 to watch UFC, In fact so far this year there have been more free events than PPV events. Also the UFC now has 8 weight classes which means they have to put on more events to keep the fighters on their rosters active. Over all Im happy with what the UFC is doing, in fact if it were up to me I would want the UFC to put on a life event every week.

^this is what perfection looks like
Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
Or maybe the UFC can stop trying to outdo Boxing and Lower their Damn PPV price! I can afford to pay $65-70 for a Mayweather fight but not $54 for a UFC event you know why? Cause Floyd Fights once a year hell even if he fought 2 or 3 times.
holy crap its $65 - $70 for a boxing ppv?!?!?!?!?!? why in the world would anyone ever pay that. All thats happening in boxing right now is Floyd is beating up people Manny already beat up and Many is beating up people Floyd already beat up.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:11 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
why are people acting like they have to buy the UFC events to watch them? I watch 90% at sports bars with costs me at most $25 (that includes the price of a meal and a couple beers). Dana is not making you pay $65 to watch UFC, In fact so far this year there have been more free events than PPV events. Also the UFC now has 8 weight classes which means they have to put on more events to keep the fighters on their rosters active. Over all Im happy with what the UFC is doing, in fact if it were up to me I would want the UFC to put on a life event every week.
Not everybody wants to go out to a bar to watch the fights. I honestly don't care for it much at all. Sure, they have been putting on more free events now that they signed the deal with FOX and it is a refreshing change, but a lot of people can't even get FUEL TV and I honestly don't give a crap about "TUF". The best cards with drawing power are still being reserved for PPV, and I understand the logic there, but the fact that the UFC roster is overloaded isn't our fault. Lets not forget, this deal with Fox only started last November and last year there were 17 PPV's in total put on by the UFC. That's a LOT, and they know it, which is likely why they only have 6 PPV's booked through August of 2012.

It's easy to say; "Dana isn't making you buy it", but let's not act like they don't want us to buy all the PPVs. Especially those of us who actually take time out of our day to sit online and talk about this sport on forums. We are the hardcore fans that actually keep this sport thriving, and the point of this thread was about the UFC wanting to sue people who watched a stream. The thing is, MOST of the people who go out of their way to watch a stream are hardcore fans of the sport and likely spend a decent amount of cash on the sport in various ways each year. That's why so many people feel like it's ridiculous for Dana to come out and use scare tactics against a lot of the very fans who have made it possible for him to tell everybody he has the biggest swimming pool in Vegas.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:15 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
holy crap its $65 - $70 for a boxing ppv?!?!?!?!?!? why in the world would anyone ever pay that. All thats happening in boxing right now is Floyd is beating up people Manny already beat up and Many is beating up people Floyd already beat up.
That's the thing, thats not ALL that is going on in boxing.

That's all thats going on in boxing to the casual fans who know two boxers...Floyd and Manny. There are a lot of great up and coming fighters, and a lot of great fights on ESPN, HBO, and Showtime.

Not all boxing PPV's are that expensive, but every UFC PPV is the same.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:33 PM

a lot of the PPVs are of low quality as far as the fights go...thats why i only purchased 4 PPVs last year and streamed the rest.

The way i see it i dont have a problem at all paying $50 or $60 for a good steak but i just simply refuse to pay the much for a hot dog.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:45 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradW View Post
a lot of the PPVs are of low quality as far as the fights go...thats why i only purchased 4 PPVs last year and streamed the rest.

you see i dont have a problem at all paying $50 or $60 for a good steak but i just simply refuse to pay the much for a hot dog.
I love the steak to hot-dog analogy!

What you are saying should be motivation for the UFC to move in a more productive direction rather than acting as if they are going to sue fans like you and myself. They had 17 PPV's last year, but you only felt motivated to actually pay $60 for 4 of them.

My solution? Do 4 or 5 PPV's a year MAX and put the rest of the fights on TV. They already basically ripped off the WWE business model, why wouldn't they use some foresight and see that flooding the PPV market ultimately fails? WWE tried it, and the fans stopped buying as much. Granted WWE still does one PPV per month, but we all know the only one that matters is Wrestlemania, with the Royal Rumble being number 2. I'm actually surprised that Vince McMahon never jumped all over MMA. He had the money and the insight when the getting was good, but he got outdone by a guy from Boston nobody even knew at the time. Then again, Vince did fund the XFL and we remember how that worked out (for those that even remember the XFL).
Old 03-21-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradW View Post

The way i see it i dont have a problem at all paying $50 or $60 for a good steak but i just simply refuse to pay the much for a hot dog.
wow you only found 4 PPV's worth buying?

Edgar v Maynard II
Silva v Belfort
Shogun v Jones
GSP v Shields
Cruz v Faber
Silva v Okami
Jones v Rampage
Edgar v Maynard III
Jones v Machida

even if I only bought PPV's with title fights on them I still can find 9 PPV worth buying

Old 03-21-2012, 12:41 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
wow you only found 4 PPV's worth buying?

Edgar v Maynard II
Silva v Belfort
Shogun v Jones
GSP v Shields
Cruz v Faber
Silva v Okami
Jones v Rampage
Edgar v Maynard III
Jones v Machida

even if I only bought PPV's with title fights on them I still can find 9 PPV worth buying
You only listed 9 of the 17 PPV's. Just saying...let's put it all out there.

Also, just because you or I may wanna buy a card don't mean somebody else will.

It's also funny how many of the names repeat themselves on your list of 9. How does that apply to all the "free cards" we are seeing?

Last edited by J.B.; 03-21-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
What you are saying should be motivation for the UFC to move in a more productive direction rather than acting as if they are going to sue fans like you and myself. They had 17 PPV's last year, but you only felt motivated to actually pay $60 for 4 of them.
Man you are right, the UFC should be motivated to change up the way they do their PPV's because 2 people on Matt's forum would rather stream the PPV's instead of buying them or going out someplace and watching them.......

Old 03-21-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Not everybody wants to go out to a bar to watch the fights. I honestly don't care for it much at all.
I agree with this. There's one sports bar near us; it's crowded, loud and obnoxious. Not to mention, if you want to sit down you have to get there at least 2 hours before the fights start.

I'm with BradW, great analogy, and why pay for a ho-hum card? Although for sure we bought more than 4, after a couple of them we really thought it was a waste of $$. You throw in a couple PPVs in the same month and we end up with a $250 Comcast bill.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16