Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 03-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
i think all mid fight fist bumps and crap ought to be banned, the ref makes you touch gloves at the center of the ring and commands you to go back to your corner and come out fighting. there is a reason it is done that way, to prevent these type of controversies.
Quote:

if i were a fighter i would want to come out swinging, and would make sure all my oppponents knew that i wasn't going to bump gloves, no hard feelings, but i want to fight also it would prevent anybody from getting a chance to cheap shot me, and that alone would be enough reason to refuse to ever bump gloves mid fight
That only happens in the (co-)main event. In most cases, a fighter just gets “Are you ready? Let’s go!” That being said, I do agree with you, I would choose not to touch gloves once time is in, but I’d make that known to my opponent: say something during the weigh-ins, make eye contact during the intros, wave it off if he comes out with his hand extended, etc.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
i think all mid fight fist bumps and crap ought to be banned, the ref makes you touch gloves at the center of the ring and commands you to go back to your corner and come out fighting. there is a reason it is done that way, to prevent these type of controversies.

if i were a fighter i would want to come out swinging, and would make sure all my oppponents knew that i wasn't going to bump gloves, no hard feelings, but i want to fight also it would prevent anybody from getting a chance to cheap shot me, and that alone would be enough reason to refuse to ever bump gloves mid fight
I mostly agree except: They don't always meet at the center before the bell. at which point i think the fist bump is appropriate.
My opinion is if you don't want to bump fists then wave it off. In some traditional Muay Thai the stance involves the lead hand to be out, which could be mistaken for a fist bump...

[
Old 03-21-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]

[FONT=Verdana]That only happens in the (co-)main event. In most cases, a fighter just gets ďAre you ready? Letís go!Ē [FONT]
i hadn't ever noticed that before....

i'll have to pay closer attention, but in the vid posted in the first post it shows them touching gloves beforehand,so that should have sufficed, and I may be wrong but i don't think this was main event either.....

anyways, not being nickpicky, i am going to keep a closer eye on that from now on
Old 03-21-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
I mostly agree except: They don't always meet at the center before the bell. at which point i think the fist bump is appropriate.
My opinion is if you don't want to bump fists then wave it off. In some traditional Muay Thai the stance involves the lead hand to be out, which could be mistaken for a fist bump...
i could go for the wave it off bit, but doesn't that make you look arrogant and rude? I guess after a while it people would just realize that you aren't a fist bumper.....
Old 03-21-2012, 03:05 PM

dirty but fair ... protect yourself at all times .... plus she looked like she did gain composurre from the first little on slaught ...
Old 03-21-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
i hadn't ever noticed that before....

i'll have to pay closer attention, but in the vid posted in the first post it shows them touching gloves beforehand,so that should have sufficed, and I may be wrong but i don't think this was main event either.....

anyways, not being nickpicky, i am going to keep a closer eye on that from now on
I never noticed that either.

Why did she stick her glove out since they had just touched gloves?

Quote:
i could go for the wave it off bit, but doesn't that make you look arrogant and rude? I guess after a while it people would just realize that you aren't a fist bumper.....
I don't think it's rude or arrogant. I've seen some fighters shake their head to indicate, uh-uh, no touchy gloves. Or they just keep their hands up. Even when they meet in the middle with the ref and the ref tells them to touch gloves, not all of them do it then. It's their choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
dirty but fair ... protect yourself at all times .... plus she looked like she did gain composurre from the first little on slaught ...
I think she was probably still rattled from being caught off guard as Gaff intended. I know it's easy for me to say now , but I think Maia should have been throwing fists like Gaff, or maybe kick her in the chest to back her off instead of trying to knee her; that did nothing to inhibit or slow the hammer fists Gaff was throwing as Maia found out unfortunately.