Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-21-2012, 02:24 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
Allons-y
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,298
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
i think all mid fight fist bumps and crap ought to be banned, the ref makes you touch gloves at the center of the ring and commands you to go back to your corner and come out fighting. there is a reason it is done that way, to prevent these type of controversies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post

if i were a fighter i would want to come out swinging, and would make sure all my oppponents knew that i wasn't going to bump gloves, no hard feelings, but i want to fight also it would prevent anybody from getting a chance to cheap shot me, and that alone would be enough reason to refuse to ever bump gloves mid fight
That only happens in the (co-)main event. In most cases, a fighter just gets “Are you ready? Let’s go!” That being said, I do agree with you, I would choose not to touch gloves once time is in, but I’d make that known to my opponent: say something during the weigh-ins, make eye contact during the intros, wave it off if he comes out with his hand extended, etc.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 6,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
i think all mid fight fist bumps and crap ought to be banned, the ref makes you touch gloves at the center of the ring and commands you to go back to your corner and come out fighting. there is a reason it is done that way, to prevent these type of controversies.

if i were a fighter i would want to come out swinging, and would make sure all my oppponents knew that i wasn't going to bump gloves, no hard feelings, but i want to fight also it would prevent anybody from getting a chance to cheap shot me, and that alone would be enough reason to refuse to ever bump gloves mid fight
I mostly agree except: They don't always meet at the center before the bell. at which point i think the fist bump is appropriate.
My opinion is if you don't want to bump fists then wave it off. In some traditional Muay Thai the stance involves the lead hand to be out, which could be mistaken for a fist bump...
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-21-2012, 02:29 PM
adamt adamt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]

[FONT=Verdana]That only happens in the (co-)main event. In most cases, a fighter just gets ďAre you ready? Letís go!Ē [FONT]
i hadn't ever noticed that before....


i'll have to pay closer attention, but in the vid posted in the first post it shows them touching gloves beforehand,so that should have sufficed, and I may be wrong but i don't think this was main event either.....

anyways, not being nickpicky, i am going to keep a closer eye on that from now on
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-21-2012, 02:31 PM
adamt adamt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
I mostly agree except: They don't always meet at the center before the bell. at which point i think the fist bump is appropriate.
My opinion is if you don't want to bump fists then wave it off. In some traditional Muay Thai the stance involves the lead hand to be out, which could be mistaken for a fist bump...
i could go for the wave it off bit, but doesn't that make you look arrogant and rude? I guess after a while it people would just realize that you aren't a fist bumper.....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-21-2012, 03:05 PM
rearnakedchoke rearnakedchoke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,555
Default

dirty but fair ... protect yourself at all times .... plus she looked like she did gain composurre from the first little on slaught ...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
i hadn't ever noticed that before....

i'll have to pay closer attention, but in the vid posted in the first post it shows them touching gloves beforehand,so that should have sufficed, and I may be wrong but i don't think this was main event either.....

anyways, not being nickpicky, i am going to keep a closer eye on that from now on
I never noticed that either.

Why did she stick her glove out since they had just touched gloves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
i could go for the wave it off bit, but doesn't that make you look arrogant and rude? I guess after a while it people would just realize that you aren't a fist bumper.....
I don't think it's rude or arrogant. I've seen some fighters shake their head to indicate, uh-uh, no touchy gloves. Or they just keep their hands up. Even when they meet in the middle with the ref and the ref tells them to touch gloves, not all of them do it then. It's their choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
dirty but fair ... protect yourself at all times .... plus she looked like she did gain composurre from the first little on slaught ...
I think she was probably still rattled from being caught off guard as Gaff intended. I know it's easy for me to say now , but I think Maia should have been throwing fists like Gaff, or maybe kick her in the chest to back her off instead of trying to knee her; that did nothing to inhibit or slow the hammer fists Gaff was throwing as Maia found out unfortunately.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.