Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the NSAC also changed it's rules to coincide with Nevada state law in regards to "medical marijuana" by omitting marijuana metabolites for legal users.
If that's true, then why does Kizer mention his "marijuana metabolites" being above the limit in the article I posted (first post of the previous page)? Here's the quote from the article:

Quote:
The levels of all marijuana metabolties in Diaz's system were above an acceptable limit of 50 nanograms on his first test, according to NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer, and 10 nanograms above an acceptable limit of 15 nanograms of the carboxylic acid metabolite on the second test. The second test is designed to confirm the use of marijuana, which can be detectable in a person's urine more than 30 days after its use.
Or is it possible Kizer doesn't know about that change being made to omit marijuana metabolites? Wasn't there a lot of confusion about what the rules were when they were trying to decide Chael's case? I know his involved testosterone, but still where there's incompetency in one thing...

Last edited by Bonnie; 03-19-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:26 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
If that's true, then why does Kizer mention his "marijuana metabolites" being above the limit in the article I posted (first post of the previous page)? Here's the quote from the article:

Or is it possible Kizer doesn't know about that change being made to omit marijuana metabolites? Wasn't there a lot of confusion about what the rules were when they were trying to decide Chael's case? I know his involved testosterone, but still where there's incompetency in one thing...
There is no way Kizer wouldn't know about the change if it was actually made. I'm going off of various reports I've read across the web over the last couple weeks, and one article in particular that I can't seem to find now. If in fact that is the case, I think it comes down to them not recognizing Nick as a legal user of medical marijuana. I also read another article where Kizer said that Nick could have applied for a "therapeutic use exemption" weeks before the fight (which is the same thing guys who use TRT have to do), but he never did that.

Chael's case was in California, but it was similar in nature in that he failed to file for a therapeutic use exemption. Chael argued that he wasn't aware he had to file for it because he had already filed for it in the past in California and Nevada (something that Kizer has repeatedly denied).
Old 03-19-2012, 11:50 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i don't think smoking weed a week in advance of a fight poses a threat ... but i don't know what the 50 nanogram rating is based on? in your system? per what? i know some states have determined that 5 nanograms/mL of thc in your blood is enough to prove you were impaired .. so i'd like to know what diaz' rating was ...
That level of 5 ng/mL has been challenged by many people, and that pertains to blood, not urine. Marijuana metabolites found in urine is not the same as THC found in the blood. The level of 5 ng/mL of THC in the blood is a standard set by some states in regards to DUI laws to determine if a person is "impaired" at the time they are tested. The presence of more than 50 ng of marijuana metabolites in the urine is simply to determine if a person has used marijuana or not.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Diaz's lawyer Ross Goodman was on Sherdog Radio on Sunday and he shed some light on the issue. Interesting note about Ross Goodman, he's not only a prominent lawyer and son of the former mayor of Vegas, but he was also one of the owners of the now defunct World Fighting Alliance, something I wasn't aware of. For those not familiar with the WFA, it was bought out by Zuffa in 2006 and a lot of UFC stars have come from or fought there, such as Rampage and Machida.

Here is the link to the episode. The interview with Goodman starts at about the 34 minute mark. http://www.sherdog.com/radio/Rewind-Goodman-Dolce-2379
Old 03-21-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
That level of 5 ng/mL has been challenged by many people, and that pertains to blood, not urine. Marijuana metabolites found in urine is not the same as THC found in the blood. The level of 5 ng/mL of THC in the blood is a standard set by some states in regards to DUI laws to determine if a person is "impaired" at the time they are tested. The presence of more than 50 ng of marijuana metabolites in the urine is simply to determine if a person has used marijuana or not.
right, but since the commissions only test urine, they have to go by the metabolites and not the thc .. goodman is saying they didn't find thc but he knows that you can't find thc in urine ... lawyer tactics ... diaz will probably get a year suspension .. but it don't matter homie, he is retired anyway .... 209
Old 03-21-2012, 05:27 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
THC can accumulate in body fat, creating higher excretion concentrations and longer detectability. If an affect on performance is the main reason for screening, the urine cannabinoid test result alone cannot indicate performance impairment or assess the degree of risk associated with the person's continuing to perform tasks. If a history of marijuana use is the major reason for screening, the urine test for cannabinoids should be able to detect prior use for up to 2 weeks in the casual user and possibly longer in the chronic user.
source
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000138.htm
Since it can be stored in body fat, I wonder if cutting weight could affect the outcome of the test?

And I find the underlined part interesting. If this is the general consensus of the medical field then why are they even bothering with the urine test? Too expensive to do the blood test?
Old 03-21-2012, 06:35 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
right, but since the commissions only test urine, they have to go by the metabolites and not the thc .. goodman is saying they didn't find thc but he knows that you can't find thc in urine ... lawyer tactics ... diaz will probably get a year suspension .. but it don't matter homie, he is retired anyway .... 209
That's the commission's problem, not Diaz's. If they really wanna test these guys the right way they need to do random blood testing, and I've been saying that for a long time.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:37 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
Since it can be stored in body fat, I wonder if cutting weight could affect the outcome of the test?

And I find the underlined part interesting. If this is the general consensus of the medical field then why are they even bothering with the urine test? Too expensive to do the blood test?
Absolutely it can effect the outcome. The commissions need to do random blood testing, but not only does that cost more but it would probably out a bunch of guys for a bunch of different things, and they know that.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Free Nick Diaz!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
That's the commission's problem, not Diaz's. If they really wanna test these guys the right way they need to do random blood testing, and I've been saying that for a long time.
well, it kinda is his problem as he has tested positive before and the commissions don't like being wrong ..... i could be wrong, but i don't think he'll get off this and will be suspended for the year ..