Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-16-2012, 11:12 AM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,313
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default NSAC Responds: Nick Diaz ‘Violated The Law’ and ‘Lied’ on Pre-Fight Questionnaire

From MMAConvert.com:

Quote:
Nick Diaz and his attorney showed their hand yesterday. Today, the NSAC showed theirs.

Despite having what sounds like a pretty strong argument, it looks like Diaz’s lawyer, Ross Goodman, is going to face a little resistance from the commission when he gets the opportunity to plead Diaz’s case. The NSAC has heard their response and they don’t seem too impressed. None of the actual commissioners have spoken on the record yet, however NSAC public information officer Jennifer M. Lopez relayed their stance to Yahoo! Sports’ Kevin Iole.
Quote:
Christopher Eccles, a Nevada deputy attorney general who represents the state athletic commission, referred telephone calls and email messages to public information officer Jennifer M. Lopez.

In a written statement, Lopez said, “Not only did Nick Diaz violate the law by testing positive for marijuana metabolites, but he also lied to the Commission on his Pre-Fight Questionnaire when he swore that he had not used any prescribed medications in two weeks before the fight.”
To clarify the last part, Goodman claims that Diaz stopped smoking his medically prescribed marijuana eight days prior to the fight, however since Nick checked “no” on the Pre-Fight Questionnaire next to the question that asked whether he had used any prescribed medications two weeks prior to the fight, the NSAC contends that Diaz “lied” or didn’t disclose his medical marijuana use.

Goodman still believes they have a strong case, however it remains to be seen if he’ll be able to convince the commissioners of that. Regardless, Goodman believes a little common sense tells you that Diaz didn’t actually do anything wrong.
Quote:
“WADA prohibits marijuana in-competition because they don’t want people fighting, or doing [expletive] under the influence of marijuana,” Goodman said. “Nobody can say – not the athletic commissioner, not [executive director] Keith [Kizer] – nobody can say Nick was impaired or under the influence of marijuana. Nobody.

“So let’s just talk street. Let’s just talk common sense here. Why do you want to punish him, basically for a metabolite that resulted from legal use eight days before the fight? Why? What did it do that you guys [the commission] are so concerned about, because contrary to what Keith is saying, we know it didn’t create a safety issue because everybody knows … that it’s out of your system in a couple of hours.”
That’s really what’s so frustrating about this. If Nick wasn’t high during the fight, then what difference does it make?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-16-2012, 11:35 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

LOL...

"HE VIOLATED THE LAW!!!!!"


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-16-2012, 01:09 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
LOL...

"HE VIOLATED THE LAW!!!!!"


LOL, yeah, another comment that makes the NSAC look even more foolish, as if that were already possible.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Liddellfan Liddellfan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 90
Default

How exactly does the NSAC think he violated the law, what law?....These people are nuts!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-17-2012, 02:12 AM
wavetar's Avatar
wavetar wavetar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 219
Default

There's a reason the questions & check boxes are on the forms...regardless of whether one thinks weed use is 'right' or 'wrong', the fact Diaz did not state (via the legal, binding, form) that he did indeed smoke weed within 14 days of the fight gives him pretty well zero legal grounds to stand on.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-17-2012, 04:12 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetar View Post
There's a reason the questions & check boxes are on the forms...regardless of whether one thinks weed use is 'right' or 'wrong', the fact Diaz did not state (via the legal, binding, form) that he did indeed smoke weed within 14 days of the fight gives him pretty well zero legal grounds to stand on.
If we are gonna boil it down to the letter of the law in Nevada, he may have more legal ground than you think. Diaz's lawyer is prepared to argue that marijuana is neither a prescribed nor an over the counter medication. According to Nevada state law, "medical marijuana" is not a prescribed medication by doctors but rather a controlled substance. Also, the "marijuana metabolites" they found in Nick's system are not listed as a prohibited substance for people who legally use medical marijuana.

Nick has a medical marijuana card in California, and if he smoked 8 days before the fight it's probably safe to assume he was still at home in Stockton. Of course, medical marijuana laws do vary from state to state but if the NSAC is going to allow marijuana metabolites in a fighter's system in accordance with Nevada medical marijuana laws then why should Nick be singled out? Because he lives in California?

Obviously it's all a bunch of legal maneuvering, and Nick could end up losing the case, but I hope he wins. The whole thing is ridiculous, and everybody knows that smoking weed over a week before a fight is has no effect on the fight or the safety of the fighters. I have said from the beginning that I think he screwed up, simply because he knows how the commissions are and he knew he would be tested. He also knows how to pass the tests, because he has done it multiple times since the Gomi fight. So yeah, Nick definitely should have done things differently, but the commissions, specifically Keith Kizer, are ridiculous about this topic and they need to be knocked down a peg.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-17-2012, 01:05 PM
wavetar's Avatar
wavetar wavetar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 219
Default

Bottom line is Nick screwed up, with nobody to blame but himself. Getting lawyers involved just leaves a sour taste and is one of the reasons I've drifted away from being a boxing fan...way too much legal maneuvering going on.

If he's a professional fighter, why push the envelope and get an extra 6-7 days of smoking in, risking his livelihood? I understand it's an addiction and all, but his team should be looking out for him and getting him off of it a week earlier, at the very least.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-17-2012, 01:13 PM
rearnakedchoke rearnakedchoke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
If we are gonna boil it down to the letter of the law in Nevada, he may have more legal ground than you think. Diaz's lawyer is prepared to argue that marijuana is neither a prescribed nor an over the counter medication. According to Nevada state law, "medical marijuana" is not a prescribed medication by doctors but rather a controlled substance. Also, the "marijuana metabolites" they found in Nick's system are not listed as a prohibited substance for people who legally use medical marijuana.

Nick has a medical marijuana card in California, and if he smoked 8 days before the fight it's probably safe to assume he was still at home in Stockton. Of course, medical marijuana laws do vary from state to state but if the NSAC is going to allow marijuana metabolites in a fighter's system in accordance with Nevada medical marijuana laws then why should Nick be singled out? Because he lives in California?

Obviously it's all a bunch of legal maneuvering, and Nick could end up losing the case, but I hope he wins. The whole thing is ridiculous, and everybody knows that smoking weed over a week before a fight is has no effect on the fight or the safety of the fighters. I have said from the beginning that I think he screwed up, simply because he knows how the commissions are and he knew he would be tested. He also knows how to pass the tests, because he has done it multiple times since the Gomi fight. So yeah, Nick definitely should have done things differently, but the commissions, specifically Keith Kizer, are ridiculous about this topic and they need to be knocked down a peg.
but the point of the test is to ensure he stopped smoking it well enough in advance ... nick can say he stopped smoking 8 days, 20 days, 60 days .. whatever he wants, but if he tested positive, it wasn't enough time, and it brings in doubt as to whether he even stopped smoking it in enough time .. we can't just take his word that it was 8 days ... and given the fact that he tested positive before, he doesn't have all the credibility in the world
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-17-2012, 06:19 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetar View Post
Bottom line is Nick screwed up, with nobody to blame but himself. Getting lawyers involved just leaves a sour taste and is one of the reasons I've drifted away from being a boxing fan...way too much legal maneuvering going on.

If he's a professional fighter, why push the envelope and get an extra 6-7 days of smoking in, risking his livelihood? I understand it's an addiction and all, but his team should be looking out for him and getting him off of it a week earlier, at the very least.
How is there any more legal maneuvering in boxing than in MMA?

As for getting lawyers involved, why shouldn't he? That seems to be the only way to actually fight your case with the commission. Sure, Nick is no angel and maybe he should have handled things differently, but let's look at the bigger point here. The commission, especially Keith Kizer, have had their head up their ass on this topic for years. They would like to have people believe that having marijuana in your system means you are numb to the pain of getting punched in the face. They can't even learn how to properly train competent judges in MMA or Boxing, let alone hold them accountable when they screw the pooch, but if a guy has pot in his system you better believe they will be right on top of it so they can dish out a fine.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-17-2012, 06:38 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
but the point of the test is to ensure he stopped smoking it well enough in advance ... nick can say he stopped smoking 8 days, 20 days, 60 days .. whatever he wants, but if he tested positive, it wasn't enough time, and it brings in doubt as to whether he even stopped smoking it in enough time .. we can't just take his word that it was 8 days ... and given the fact that he tested positive before, he doesn't have all the credibility in the world
No. The point of the test is to ensure the safety of the fighters and fair competition. Having trace amounts of weed in your system affects neither of those things.

The NSAC allows users of medical marijuana to have it in their system, so this shouldn't even be an issue. What you are driving at doesn't really matter unless Nick was smoking in the hours right before the fight and nobody can prove that. You say Nick doesn't have much credibility because he tested positive before, why? Nick Diaz has been very public about his use of marijuana for years. It's not like this was some "dirty little secret".
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.