Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-17-2012, 07:26 AM
Max's Avatar
Max Max is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 131
Default


__________________

^this is what perfection looks like
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-19-2012, 06:28 AM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

This is by far the worst I've ever done in the NCAA tournament Pick'Em. Just horrible picks this year!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-29-2012, 06:22 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Thought some people might enjoy this...one of my FB friends heard on the radio that the odds of picking the perfect bracket is 52 million times higher than to win the current 500 million MegaMillions lottery jackpot. I told him that's not true, and here's why:
Think of the sheer terms of numbers and combinations in filling out a 64-roster bracket with 6 total rounds [2 teams^(32+16+8+4+2+1)] = 2^63 versus a combination of 6 numbers with the highest being 55 (I think 55).

Anyways, the odds of winning the Megamillions jackpot is roughly 1:175,000,000 vs. the perfect bracket (calculated as 2^63 as shown why above): 1:9,223,372,036,854,775,808.

Thus: 9223372036854775808 / 175000000 = 52,704,983,067
Your odds of winning the MegaMillions jackpot it 52 BILLION (not million) times greater than picking the perfect bracket.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 PM
rearnakedchoke rearnakedchoke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Thought some people might enjoy this...one of my FB friends heard on the radio that the odds of picking the perfect bracket is 52 million times higher than to win the current 500 million MegaMillions lottery jackpot. I told him that's not true, and here's why:
Think of the sheer terms of numbers and combinations in filling out a 64-roster bracket with 6 total rounds [2 teams^(32+16+8+4+2+1)] = 2^63 versus a combination of 6 numbers with the highest being 55 (I think 55).

Anyways, the odds of winning the Megamillions jackpot is roughly 1:175,000,000 vs. the perfect bracket (calculated as 2^63 as shown why above): 1:9,223,372,036,854,775,808.

Thus: 9223372036854775808 / 175000000 = 52,704,983,067
Your odds of winning the MegaMillions jackpot it 52 BILLION (not million) times greater than picking the perfect bracket.
i don't buy it ... someone will win the megamillions, no one has picked a perfect bracket ... but i'll wait til mike confirms your math ... LOL
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-29-2012, 08:58 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,324
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i don't buy it ... someone will win the megamillions, no one has picked a perfect bracket ... but i'll wait til mike confirms your math ... LOL
That's wht he means: you have a 52 billion times better chance to win the Mega Millions.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-30-2012, 03:01 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

My bracket was toast right away, as usual. I have nothing else to say about this topic until next March.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-30-2012, 02:03 PM
rearnakedchoke rearnakedchoke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
That's wht he means: you have a 52 billion times better chance to win the Mega Millions.
ahh .. got it .. need to read next time ... and i have 3 of the final four, and won my pool .. who hooo ..
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-30-2012, 02:26 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
need to read next time ...
It gets the best of us!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Max's Avatar
Max Max is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
My bracket was toast right away, as usual. I have nothing else to say about this topic until next March.
My bracket took a big hit when Norfolk State beat Missouri, I had Missouri in the finals. It was not untill they got a bunch of Ohio State alumni to ref the Syracuse v Ohio State game that by bracket really died though.
__________________

^this is what perfection looks like
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-30-2012, 04:27 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
My bracket took a big hit when Norfolk State beat Missouri, I had Missouri in the finals. It was not untill they got a bunch of Ohio State alumni to ref the Syracuse v Ohio State game that by bracket really died though.
Brackets suck a big fat turd.

This is 27 more words than I expected to utter about this until March 2013...



Last edited by J.B.; 03-30-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: I miscounted....sue me Dana....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.