Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default UFC Books Frankie Edgar vs. Ben Henderson Title Rematch

YES! Glad to hear the Dana's doing right by Frankie! From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
Mar 6, 2012 - Ten days after he lost the UFC lightweight title to Ben Henderson, Frankie Edgar has been given a rematch.

Edgar confirmed the news on Twitter with a message thanking UFC President Dana White and co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta for making the rematch happen. The news was then confirmed on Twitter by White.

"Frankie Edgar and Ben Henderson rematch will be this summer," White wrote.

The decision is a departure from what White had previously indicated was his preferred choice: In the press conference immediately following Henderson's unanimous decision victory over Edgar, White said he thought Edgar should move down to featherweight to challenge champion Jose Aldo, and that Anthony Pettis deserved the next shot at Henderson.

But White has apparently been persuaded by Edgar, who has insisted that lightweight is the right division for him, and by the fans who have asked for Henderson-Edgar 2.

That means Edgar will now be in the unusual position of fighting the same opponent back to back three consecutive times. First Edgar won the lightweight title from B.J. Penn in 2010 and then defended it against Penn later that year. Then Edgar fought Gray Maynard to a draw to start 2011 and then beat Maynard later in 2011. Now Edgar has lost to Henderson to start 2012 and will get another shot at him later in the year.

This also means that Pettis has missed out on a lightweight title shot he thought he had earned for the second time. Pettis beat Henderson to become the last World Extreme Cagefighting champion and was promised a shot at the UFC lightweight title when the UFC absorbed the WEC, but that title shot was taken from him when the Edgar-Maynard draw necessitated a rematch. Now Pettis is once again being passed over.

Pettis's next step is unclear. But what is clear is that we'll see more of the same at lightweight: Ben Henderson vs. Frankie Edgar for the title.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:48 PM

good call on dana's part ... i don't think the fight ends up any different .. but dana will probably give pettis someone tailor made for him so he doesn't lose and screw up his shot ....
Old 03-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Hailey's Dad

Bring that belt back to NJ!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Bring that belt back to NJ!
AGREED!!! I See Frankie Taking this in a Unanimous Decision!

WAR FRANKIE!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:08 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

He lost fair n square. I am personally getting sick of these damn rematches. You lose your belt ok do what the past champs have done.. Fight again to get it back not throw a damn fit to get an instant rematch. WTH does this do for winner of Diaz/Miller and also Pettis?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella79 View Post
He lost fair n square. I am personally getting sick of these damn rematches. You lose your belt ok do what the past champs have done.. Fight again to get it back not throw a damn fit to get an instant rematch. WTH does this do for winner of Diaz/Miller and also Pettis?
sure he lost fair and square, but it was still close ... chael sonnen got an immediate title shot and his loss was more definitive as he got choked out and arm barred ... good call on dana ... pettis shouldn't have lost when he came to the ufc, that blew his shot right away ...
Old 03-07-2012, 03:44 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
sure he lost fair and square, but it was still close ... chael sonnen got an immediate title shot and his loss was more definitive as he got choked out and arm barred ... good call on dana ... pettis shouldn't have lost when he came to the ufc, that blew his shot right away ...
Chael did not get an automatic rematch. He had to fight Stann and Bisping..
Old 03-07-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
BJ Lost fair and square and got a rematch. So did Nick and he was going to get a rematch against Carlos until he came out DIRTY on his piss test.

As for Diaz/Miller and Pettis? The winner can Beat Pettis for the chance to fight Frankie after he beats Bendo.

Simple

Old 03-07-2012, 03:47 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
BJ Lost fair and square and got a rematch. So did Nick and he was going to get a rematch against Carlos until he came out DIRTY on his piss test.

As for Diaz/Miller and Pettis? The winner can Beat Pettis for the chance to fight Frankie after he beats Bendo.

Simple

Why whenever I mention anything on here you boys feel the need to throw Bj or Chael in my face?
Ok it will be nice to see Edgar get his face smashed in again I suppose.. All so he can have his way. Bendo don't seem to mind so I suppose I shouldnt either huh?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Why whenever I mention anything on here you boys feel the need to throw Bj or Chael in my face?
Ok it will be nice to see Edgar get his face smashed in again I suppose.. All so he can have his way. Bendo don't seem to mind so I suppose I shouldnt either huh?
Awee come on Meli I wasn't attacking you I was just giving you an example...