Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Question Harlequin

has any of the medical peeps on this forum ever come across something known as Harlequin? ...can anyone explain what it is
Old 03-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
has any of the medical peeps on this forum ever come across something known as Harlequin? ...can anyone explain what it is
I havent heard anything of that nature. Maybe Texas RN has, but I havent and I examine medical claims...
Old 03-19-2009, 08:36 PM
matthughesfan21

my major is in the health field, I've heard of it, in some ways it can describe some old romance novel or something...but I've also heard of Harlequin in London which is a cosmetic surgery place
Old 03-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Got the data according to CPT code....

Harlequin ichthyosis (HI) and lamellar ichthyosis, type 2 (LI2) are different types of congenital recessive ichthyosis (CRI). Harlequin ichthyosis is a life-threatening and often fatal disorder. Infants are born prematurely encased in a thick, armor-like cast that severely restricts movements and deforms facial features and distal extremities. Various abnormalities of inner organs have also been reported. Postnatal complications include respiratory distress, dehydration, feeding problems and bacterial infections. In surviving children, the armor-like plates are shed and replaced by intense redness and whitish scale covering the entire body, resembling severe non-bullous congenital ichthyosiform erythroderma (NBCIE). There is ectropium and eclabium (out-turning of the eyelids and mouth) due to tautness of the skin, alopecia, thickening of the skin on palms and soles, heat intolerance and growth delay. Harlequin ichthyosis is very rare. Most patients have autosomal recessive mutations in the ABCA12 gene on chromosome 2q34 that completely prevent the production of this cellular lipid transport protein.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:44 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Villaseņor
Got the data according to CPT code....

Harlequin ichthyosis (HI) and lamellar ichthyosis, type 2 (LI2) are different types of congenital recessive ichthyosis (CRI). Harlequin ichthyosis is a life-threatening and often fatal disorder. Infants are born prematurely encased in a thick, armor-like cast that severely restricts movements and deforms facial features and distal extremities. Various abnormalities of inner organs have also been reported. Postnatal complications include respiratory distress, dehydration, feeding problems and bacterial infections. In surviving children, the armor-like plates are shed and replaced by intense redness and whitish scale covering the entire body, resembling severe non-bullous congenital ichthyosiform erythroderma (NBCIE). There is ectropium and eclabium (out-turning of the eyelids and mouth) due to tautness of the skin, alopecia, thickening of the skin on palms and soles, heat intolerance and growth delay. Harlequin ichthyosis is very rare. Most patients have autosomal recessive mutations in the ABCA12 gene on chromosome 2q34 that completely prevent the production of this cellular lipid transport protein.
yikes, that sounds horrible....what brought this up dave?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 PM
County Mike

I thought a harlequin was a prostitute. Or is that a harlet - or something like that. Either way, sounds better than that disease stuff.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:54 PM
sasquatch

I think Harley quin is a batman character.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch
I think Harley quin is a batman character.
Jokers girlfriend
Old 03-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
yikes, that sounds horrible....what brought this up dave?
I watched the end of a programme, and it had this strange child...she looked like...well...you know that figure from Startrek movies that has to have his face stretched regularly??

...No joke...and it just said something Harliquin...and showed a picture of the child at Birth...it...looked like it had scales

I was like... but then it was over