Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 02-19-2012, 01:09 AM

Default Military Medals

I realize that this may start off a political debate. I hope it doesn't. I'm not saying I am on any side of whether this is right or wrong, I simply am curious.

I was looking at Vietnam war relics and came across some medals. They were left at the white house fence during the protests way back.

So then I remember the clips of Vietnam vets coming home and throwing their medals over the white house fence onto the lawns of the white house. Does anyone know what the white house did with these? Was curious if they were saved and donated to a museum, displayed somewhere, or what? I know what is left at the Vietnam War Memorial get's saved, but not about the medals thrown to the white house.

Figured some of you history buffs might know.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
I realize that this may start off a political debate. I hope it doesn't. I'm not saying I am on any side of whether this is right or wrong, I simply am curious.

I was looking at Vietnam war relics and came across some medals. They were left at the white house fence during the protests way back.

So then I remember the clips of Vietnam vets coming home and throwing their medals over the white house fence onto the lawns of the white house. Does anyone know what the white house did with these? Was curious if they were saved and donated to a museum, displayed somewhere, or what? I know what is left at the Vietnam War Memorial get's saved, but not about the medals thrown to the white house.

Figured some of you history buffs might know.
I'm a little confused, IP. You saw medals that were thrown away during protests? I guess that means someone saved them.

I think you might be referring to the Vietnam Vets Against the War who threw their medals on the steps of the capitol bldg., not the White House. This protest was named Operation Dewey Canyon III - after the last major Marine offensive in Vietnam.

Of course, we could probably ask good 'ol Lurch but I don't know if he'd tell us the truth...

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 02-19-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I'm a little confused, IP. You saw medals that were thrown away during protests? I guess that means someone saved them.

I think you might be referring to the Vietnam Vets Against the War who threw their medals on the steps of the capitol bldg., not the White House. This protest was named Operation Dewey Canyon III - after the last major Marine offensive in Vietnam.

Of course, we could probably ask good 'ol Lurch but I don't know if he'd tell us the truth...
Who is "good 'ol Lurch"?

I found this from John Kerry's wiki page:

Quote:
The day after this testimony, Kerry participated in a demonstration with thousands of other veterans in which he and other veterans threw their medals and ribbons over a fence erected at the front steps of the United States Capitol building to dramatize their opposition to the war. Jack Smith, a Marine, read a statement explaining why the veterans were returning their military awards to the government. For more than two hours, almost 1000 angry veterans tossed their medals, ribbons, hats, jackets, and military papers over the fence. Each veteran gave his or her name, hometown, branch of service and a statement. Kerry threw some of his decorations as well as some given to him by other veterans to throw. As Kerry threw his decorations over the fence, his statement was: "I'm not doing this for any violent reasons, but for peace and justice, and to try and make this country wake up once and for all."[53] The documentary film Sir! No Sir! includes archival footage of Kerry at the demonstration: he is one of several young men seen throwing things over the fence.

Last edited by Bonnie; 02-19-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Who is "good 'ol Lurch"?
Good 'ol Lurch = John Kerry

You've got to admit, the resemblance is striking!

Old 02-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Good question. I didn't know that happened. I know that many Vietnam Vets left medals, their boots, and other relics or letters at the wall. Last time I was in DC (back in 1993) they said there was going to be a museum built that showcased the things left at the wall by vets and other visitors. I really want to go see it and experience that. Maybe they put the medals that were thrown over to the White House in there with the stuff from the wall?

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 02-19-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Good 'ol Lurch = John Kerry

You've got to admit, the resemblance is striking!
LOL You must have thought that was funny, me asking who "Lurch" was then I post that quote from John Kerry's wiki! I already had the answer but didn't know it!

There are some similarities.

Last edited by Bonnie; 02-19-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
LOL You must have thought that was funny, me asking who "Lurch" was then I post that quote from John Kerry's wiki! I already had the answer but didn't know it!

There are some similarities.
That's why we're sistahs!!!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
That's why we're sistahs!!!
Twin telepathy...love it!

Last edited by Bonnie; 02-19-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:

Some were left at the fence, and this person either took them or bought them from someone that took it. I'm not sure how this person got them?

But I thought some were thrown on the lawns of the white house.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
Some were left at the fence, and this person either took them or bought them from someone that took it. I'm not sure how this person got them?

But I thought some were thrown on the lawns of the white house.
Could be! The protest that I'm familiar with is the one I cited in my previous comment (the one that J. Kerry took part in) - Operation Dewey Canyon III. But I'm sure smaller protest actions could have taken place.