Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Chris F View Post
Should we go around banning and complaining about everything one does not understand? Isn't that what racism really is, is ignorance of what one does not understand that we are all created equal. But I see your point as well.
no, but the people who claim the flag is heritage, not hatred aren't doing themselves any favours when guys like klansmen and neo-nazis wave the flags at their ralley's .... i get your point, so i am not trying to disagree with you, its just that perception has a big effect on people ... i am not as against it as tennessean ... i actually like the design of it .. maybe cuz i grew up watching dukes of hazzard
Old 02-14-2012, 02:44 PM

There are plenty of rebel flags down here. If you talk to the person that has it (on their truck, on the flag pole, or anywhere else) you can tell if they know what it means or not. If they don't understand it then they are flying it out of stupidity but i don't think that should be stopped. people do things out of stupidity all the time and we can't make them stop. the best we can do is engage in a conversation and educate them. my mom wore a shirt saying LOL (someone gave her). I asked what it meant and she didn't know but she was wearing it proud i educated her and she changed her shirt. I wouldn't care if someone had a KKK flag flying as long as they don't care what I fly. Our flag poles proudly fly an American Flag and a Confederate Flag. We live in the boonies so no one even sees them but we don't fly them for other people.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:35 PM
7X Prediction Champ !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNESSEAN View Post
In the south stars and bars is the confederate flag and nothing else. No one representing me will ever be aloud to wear the confederate flag. If that's wrong so be it. Im going to log out now. I got a feeling your gonna piss me off... AGAIN!!!
For someone who lives in the South I am shocked at your ignorance on the flag. The stars and bars is the first national not the battle flag and I dare you to go to one of those southern heritage sites and try to tell them they are not southern because they know the stars and bars is not the same thing as the battle flag. Do a simple Google search or even go to Wikipedia and educate yourself on the issue before you continue you embarrass yourself and your southern heritage and further.

As for not having anyone represent you who flies the flag well that is what is great about America you have such prerogative. However, that in and of itself is no more different then not letting a black man or a person of faith lead you. It is prejudice and thanks for admitting you are such a prejudice person.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
no, but the people who claim the flag is heritage, not hatred aren't doing themselves any favours when guys like klansmen and neo-nazis wave the flags at their ralley's .... i get your point, so i am not trying to disagree with you, its just that perception has a big effect on people ... i am not as against it as tennessean ... i actually like the design of it .. maybe cuz i grew up watching dukes of hazzard
saddly it happens. But to dismiss it would be like people of faith throwing out the bible because TV preachers mis-use it and most Christians sit and let them do it. This is why there are so many groups out there educating people on the truth. There are a lot of prejudice people like Tennessean who do not know the truth and who do not understand the real meaning of the flag. The flag is merely a symbol and if they start banning one then they take another then another so on and so on. So prejudice should be stopped at whatever form it takes. DYK when the new movie came out the NAACP picketed the showing because of the General Lee having the flag. The Dukes of Hazzard is a good example of it used in proper context. However if you ever watch Walker Texas Ranger you will notice every Redneck bar or motorcycle rebel has a CSA battle flag. This is what I mean by Hollywood stereotype that is dead wrong.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsmama View Post
There are plenty of rebel flags down here. If you talk to the person that has it (on their truck, on the flag pole, or anywhere else) you can tell if they know what it means or not. If they don't understand it then they are flying it out of stupidity but i don't think that should be stopped. people do things out of stupidity all the time and we can't make them stop. the best we can do is engage in a conversation and educate them. my mom wore a shirt saying LOL (someone gave her). I asked what it meant and she didn't know but she was wearing it proud i educated her and she changed her shirt. I wouldn't care if someone had a KKK flag flying as long as they don't care what I fly. Our flag poles proudly fly an American Flag and a Confederate Flag. We live in the boonies so no one even sees them but we don't fly them for other people.
Exactly!!!!! Isn't this the entire point. Freedom of expression. In California where lived, more people had Mexican flags than American flags. But people were not told to take them down. But one day a kid had a Rebel flag on his truck and was suspended from school. He won in a lawsuit and flew it till graduation but the point is if one comes down they all should so just let people fly what they want to.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:19 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Why don't everyone just sthu and fly what you want to fly. If you are considered racist who gives a rats tail. People are so sensitive over everything. Gee the Mexican flag offends so let me retaliate and fly a German flag.. GTFOH.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I have always hated this argument. It got really stupid when the new Dukes of Hazzard movie came out and they didn't put the flag on the General Lee.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella79 View Post
Why don't everyone just sthu and fly what you want to fly. If you are considered racist who gives a rats tail. People are so sensitive over everything. Gee the Mexican flag offends so let me retaliate and fly a German flag.. GTFOH.
Exactly- No flag should offend the rationale person
Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I have always hated this argument. It got really stupid when the new Dukes of Hazzard movie came out and they didn't put the flag on the General Lee.
Sadly every Black history month it seems to get brought back up. Whatever happen to letting thing go and let people make their own choices.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
i thought they did put it on there and they got called bigots and racists when they went to the university ... or did they imply that it was there and not actually show it?