Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default British Government Refuses D-Day Celebrations

Those Soldiers who are left who re-landed at Normandy after being pushed into the Ocean at Dunkirk, marked the turning of the tide in the Second World War.

To mark the annerversary many of the soldiers (now in their mid 80s) wish to go to France to once again walk on the beach and join in the celebrations that marked the liberation of Europe.

This year France under Sarkozy has promised an extra special welcome for those elderly troops. Even the Americans are taking the trip from over the Atlantic for the week long festivities. But in England, many of the Veterans cant afford to travel without help, and for the first time, the British Government has formally refused to pay for those Soldiers to return

Infact...the British Government has said the next time it plans on paying for returning Veterans will not be until the Centenery of the Celebration.
Clearly a cost cutting exercise since the vast majority of the veterans will have DIED OF OLD AGE by then.

Not Impressed
Old 03-19-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn

Those Soldiers who are left who re-landed at Normandy after being pushed into the Ocean at Dunkirk, marked the turning of the tide in the Second World War.

To mark the annerversary many of the soldiers (now in their mid 80s) wish to go to France to once again walk on the beach and join in the celebrations that marked the liberation of Europe.

This year France under Sarkozy has promised an extra special welcome for those elderly troops. Even the Americans are taking the trip from over the Atlantic for the week long festivities. But in England, many of the Veterans cant afford to travel without help, and for the first time, the British Government has formally refused to pay for those Soldiers to return

Infact...the British Government has said the next time it plans on paying for returning Veterans will not be until the Centenery of the Celebration.
Clearly a cost cutting exercise since the vast majority of the veterans will have DIED OF OLD AGE by then.

Not Impressed
Thsi is terrible. I think those men sacrificed enough that if they want to go to France for a weekend in August just to see the sites, their government should pay for it. Going for the D-Day celebration should be a given.

[
Old 03-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Thsi is terrible. I think those men sacrificed enough that if they want to go to France for a weekend in August just to see the sites, their government should pay for it. Going for the D-Day celebration should be a given.
thats my thought as well.

Honnest to GOD, its not like they havent the money...here they are bloody printing money in a "copy the US" programme for economic reform. so they HAVE plenty...and yet they wont send a few old men across the bloody channel...its not like they're going to hong kong or something!! its not THAT expensive to travel by boat or train to France!!! and its not like there are Hundreds of them...I mean most are already dead (most of the survivors that is, the majority of men at D-Day died in the original landing....Imagine it...the Germans have taken the beaches in France and manned them with machine guns, and you arrive in boats to try and get back onto the land...ever watched the opening scenes of "Saving Private Ryan" ? That depicts the D-Day landings)

Its outrageous...absolutely outrageous...particularly when our Country is STILL at war today...and the Government wondered why they had to actually go as far as to make rudeness to a man in uniform a criminal offense...I mean...if they think the Citizens dont care about the armed forces...WTF sorta example do they set by not sending a few elderly men to France for a week.

Its appauling...THIS is what makes me embarrised of my Native Land...THIS is the sorta thing that makes me love America because they would NEVER treat their Veterans with such disdain...Honnestly...if Obama can send troops across a whole Ocean..what IS Westminsters excuse for sending them about two hours further south on the globe???

...and the think about the centenery is even worse...its saying we'll wait til afew of you have died so we dont need to spend the money on sending you to france...

I dont think the Government realized what would have happened if the D-Day landings had been unsuccessful. We might never have got back to France...
Old 03-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Crisco

You should start up a fund Dave to send the VETS. I would donate money. I'll even help you raise it.

If it bothers you that much find out how much it would cost. Do some leg work I'll help you raise money.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn

Not Impressed
Wow, thats awful to hear Its a shame that the government would do that to these poor vets. I agree with the comment above about starting a fund for these brave men. I personally will contribute.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
You should start up a fund Dave to send the VETS. I would donate money. I'll even help you raise it.

If it bothers you that much find out how much it would cost. Do some leg work I'll help you raise money.
Exactly...

If the Brits are following our example and just "printing more money" then your citizens need to follow our example and step up to the plate when the government fails to do the right thing.

Do a video blog!! Start a movement!! Open a PayPal account!! Raise some Euro's baby!!!
Old 03-19-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Exactly...

If the Brits are following our example and just "printing more money" then your citizens need to follow our example and step up to the plate when the government fails to do the right thing.

Do a video blog!! Start a movement!! Open a PayPal account!! Raise some Euro's baby!!!
DO IT!!! There are donation hosting sites all over the web!!
you can do it Dave!

[
Old 03-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck

Raise some Euro's baby!!!
England didn't convert ;)
Old 03-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

We shall raise some Stirling

I SHALL be doing a Video blog, and If people are serious about this, I shall write to The Daily Mail...perhaps there are many English like me who cant bear the thought of the Government denying a War Veteran his last chance to go to the site of a decisive Battle that he fought in.

I shall do some research

Time to spread the news...I shall also be writing to my Local Minister of Parliament to demand to know why No Governmental Representatives plan on going to Normandy Either...its NOT on.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Barack Obama has agreed to personally attend the D-Day Celebrations.

Barack Obama is set to shame Gordon Brown by attending the 65th anniversary of the Normandy landings, it has been revealed.

Expectation was high in France today that the American President has accepted an invitation to be in Normandy to mark the crucially important anniversary - a date the British government has chosen to ignore.