Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Here's the perfect solution: let GSP go straight to MW right now.

OK, I know it's pretty crazy (& I'm not seriously endorsing it), but check out how the "logic" actually fits:
  • GSP has said he'd need months to put on the weight properly to make a move to 185, so what better time than now? While he's rehabbing his knee, he can't be training, but he could be working with a nutritionist & S&C coach to start bulking up during rehab. This way, when he gets back to training, he can be ready to go as a MW.
  • The next MW title fight is Anderson/Chael in July-ish. By the time GSP is ready to go again (November-ish), that would be plenty of time for the (new?) champ to rest for a bit & then put in a full camp.
  • The other major problem with GSP jumping to MW was that it would put the WW division on hold for an indeterminable amount of time. That's no longer an issue as we now have a champ ready to drop the "interim" tag & just take over the division. This completely removes the glass ceiling which prevents Kos, Fitch, Matt, BJ, Thiago & many others from getting another title shot because of the "don't want to see that fight again" restriction.
OK, I know that Dana & GSP would never go for it, but doesn't that fit absurdly well??
I actually like that. We all were waiting for GSP vs Diaz, since that is off, this idea works!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I know....but that was after Hendo gassed (he is not good at 185). He beat Robbie too, but neither one were afraid of Shields' standup.

I don't want to sound like I am bashing Ellenberger...he is a good fighter. But I don't think he can beat either Condit or GSP....and I am not sure he would beat Diego in a five round fight.
I think Condit/Ellenberger would play out different. Remember Jake slipped during that fight. I think he has it in him to easily change the outcome. Condit's safe tactics would do nothing.
I think Nick was so annoyed with Condit not coming forward mentally you could see him frustrated.