Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 02-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Networker

Default Sugar & Fiber

Has anyone heard of or looked into the work of Dr. Robert Lustig? He's the guy who is saying that all refined sugar is killing us because its abundance combined with the lack of fiber to go with it (where fruit combines fiber & sugar such that our bodies react differently to it).

-Table sugar (cane, beet) is Sucrose, a combination of a glucose ring and a fructose ring.
-"Glucose", like in an apple, is 2 glucose rings (GG).
-High Fructose Corn Syrup contains more double fructose (two fructose rings) than GF (sucrose), but I could be wrong. It may be more free single F rings, but I'm not sure. Either way, I think it has more F rings than equivalent sucrose amounts.
Glucose rings are converted in the liver to glycogen, which it can store w/out necessarily fat building and can retrieve normally. The problem is that our livers process fructose (single ring, such as after breaking GF apart) like ethanol, triggering fat storage and colesterol (LDL) generation. That LDL cholesterol is worse than the LDL we get from greasy food because it's packed tighter. But, the other insulin-related triggers/missed triggers are the real issues that fructose creates. However, the presence of fiber, like in whole fruit, triggers other functions that prevent the triggers from fructose and ethanol from having an effect, and even triggering the opposite effects, insulin-receptor-wise. Ok, that's what I can remember of his 1-hour presentation.

So, have you heard of this guy and his claims/research? It's about 2-3 years old.
If so, what have you found?
Researched counter arguments since he's come out?

If his claims are still considered legit...
What have you changed?
How did the change affect your health/training?

Thanks.

Last edited by Conrad; 02-10-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:14 PM

I've read other studies that claim fructose is horrible for our health because our system simply cannot digest it efficiently. I even know one doctor who says that no one should eat any grains at all because they are loaded with fructose.