Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-10-2012, 12:02 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default And now it's official

Nick Diaz Tests Positive for Marijuana

Nick Diaz Tests Positive for Marijuana, Rematch With Condit Off

Nick Diaz's Positive Drug Test Not Surprising, but Still Bizarrely Disappointing

The MMA (After) Hour: Dissecting Nick Diaz's Positive Drug Test

Dana White 'Beyond Disappointed' in Nick Diaz
Old 02-10-2012, 12:08 AM

for pot? really? who cares? how is it a performance enhancer? ridiculous.If anything it would hinder him...
Congrats , you fought with 70% your mental capacity.

whatever , honestly who cares.

stupid of him for getting busted for the second time. be glad he lost and didn't get a second major win overturned due to pot.

[
Old 02-10-2012, 12:18 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
stupid of him for getting busted for the second time. be glad he lost and didn't get a second major win overturned due to pot.
Agreed.

He may have had the Gomi fight overturned on paper, but we all know he won.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Student of the Sport

I am disappointed that he did something as stupid as this, especially because he has been in trouble for this before.

However, I think this is the lesser of all evils of what you can get in trouble for. I highly (not in a pot way lol) doubt that he was stoned before he fought and even if he was I can't see it giving him any advantage. Also, I believe that Nick has a prescription for medical marijuana for his ADHD and anxiety. So if this were the case, aside from it being illegal in Nevada, what is the big deal?

People seem to think Nick cheated based on this failed test...how so? It is not like what he used would increase his performance or put the other fighter at risk like TRT or steroids.

I agree, he knew better and was well aware of the rules. If he abused marijuana then he deserves the punishment. If it was medically prescribed, then how is he any different than any fighter that is on TRT (maybe it is allowed within a given range like TRT....who knows).
Old 02-10-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
Also, I believe that Nick has a prescription for medical marijuana for his ADHD and anxiety.
How conveeeeeenient.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 02-10-2012, 01:42 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
How conveeeeeenient.

The exact same can (and has) been said about Nate, Chael & Hendo's perscriptions for TRT. It's odd that their prescriptions for a proven PED (testosterone) are more readily accepted than Nick's prescription for a sedative.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:08 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
The exact same can (and has) been said about Nate, Chael & Hendo's perscriptions for TRT. It's odd that their prescriptions for a proven PED (testosterone) are more readily accepted than Nick's prescription for a sedative.
It's all about perception. A lot of people hear the term "medical marijuana" and they roll their eyes because it's largely considered a recreational drug and if you live in a state that has medical marijuana, like California or Arizona, it's fairly easy to get a card and purchase it even if there isn't anything wrong with you. You simply go to one of the doctors who advertise that they specialize in marijuana and tell them you need it for anything from anxiety to a constant back-ache. With TRT, what a lot of fans fail to realize is that, even though a fighter may actually have low testosterone and need the treatment, a lot of times it's attributed to previous abuse of steroids.

This situation actually sheds light on another issue that the UFC may need to address sooner than later. It's no secret that Nick Diaz smokes weed, and even one of the producers of the UFC Primetime show was quoted making reference to Nick's use of marijuana. Surely, if the UFC was aware that he was doing this they should have addressed it with him. Otherwise, it comes off as pretty hypocritical to be angry or "disappointed" when pot shows up in his system. It's easy to pass the buck and say it's all up to the commission, but the UFC is the top dog in this business and what they do has a huge impact on the entire sport. As the biggest promoters in the sport, they should take it upon themselves to randomly test all their fighters for recreational drugs and PED's the entire time they are under contract.

This sport is just a form of legalized assault, and there will always be athletic commissions in place to make sure it's in compliance with the law. However, if a promoter knowingly allows a fighter to compete when they are using banned substances, that makes the promoter negligent at best and criminal at worst. I'm not saying this is what the UFC (or more specifically Dana White) did, or that they need to babysit all their fighter 24/7. However, I do think that they can do more to try to prevent stuff like this in the future, and set an example for all other promotions. There are some pretty shady promoters in this sport and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are actually getting high and snorting lines of blow with their fighters behind the scenes, then sending them out to fight so they can make money off them to buy more coke.

If the UFC adopted the WADA form of testing for all it's fighters it would be a step in the right direction.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:20 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Also, I'm not sure if this was mentioned in any of the reports because I haven't read them all, but do we know when Nick was tested after the fight?

I have no doubt that he probably smoked sometime in the days or weeks before the fight, but he's been through this before so he probably had flushed his system out. Maybe, maybe not, only Diaz truly knows that. However, I do wonder if he managed to sneak away after the fight and smoke before they tested him simply because he was pissed off and felt like he didn't care.

Just a thought.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:28 AM
Stump Rules!

The second I heard that he " didn't look right" at the weigh ins I said " he got stoned too late in the game!"
What a ••••ing retard!

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 02-10-2012, 04:33 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I just stumbled on this... https://mobile.twitter.com/FightOpinion/status/167801286207610880

Maybe the UFC is starting to read my posts, lol