Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 08-08-2011, 03:26 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Default NFL 2011

Next week is the start of the pre-season, so it's time to start talking about football again. How is everybody feeling about their team's chances this season?

I think the Cardinals really came up big in free-agency and the draft this off-season, despite the fact that it has been so condensed due to the lockout. Obviously we had to give up Dominque Rogers-Cromartie, but the upside that Kevin Kolb could have for this team as a franchise quarterback is potentially huge. Add that to the pickups of Tood Heap and Daryn Colledge in free agency, Patrick Peterson with the fifth pick in the draft, as well as a few other signings, and I think the Cardinals have managed to significantly improve their team. Now, that's not saying much considering how much they sucked last year, but it does give them a much better shot at being the favorites to win the struggling NFC West and secure a home playoff game.

Obviously, the Eagles and the Patriots made out like bandits this offseason too. I think they will be forces to be reckoned with, along with the defending champion fudge Packers and Rex "toe-sniffer" Ryan's Jets. Even though I have been a Cardinals fan for years, and Arizona teams in general, I still show love and support to my native Chicago teams, and I am pretty much your typical Chicago fan. With that being said, I have little faith in Gay Butler to lead the Bears to the promise land, but who knows. They were close last season, but losing to the Packers in the NFC Championship basically assures the fact that a lot of Chicago fans will hate you forever.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:29 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

I'm happy; it's nice the millionaires vs. billionaires battle is finally over.

Well I'm a Chiefs fan, and I have to say that I like our chances in the AFC West this year. Although we won 10 games last season, we only beat 1 team with a winning record so in my mind, we still have to beat good teams if we want to make it; we're just fortunate to be in the AFC West which is rebuilding all over, but I think we started rebuilding earlier than all of the others so that head start should continue to boost us.

Losing Vrabel and dropping Waters could hurt, but we'll see how that goes.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:33 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I'm happy; it's nice the millionaires vs. billionaires battle is finally over.

Well I'm a Chiefs fan, and I have to say that I like our chances in the AFC West this year. Although we won 10 games last season, we only beat 1 team with a winning record so in my mind, we still have to beat good teams if we want to make it; we're just fortunate to be in the AFC West which is rebuilding all over, but I think we started rebuilding earlier than all of the others so that head start should continue to boost us.

Losing Vrabel and dropping Waters could hurt, but we'll see how that goes.
You guys also picked up Steve Breaston, which is a tough loss for us Cardinals fans. I'm not sure that he is worth the money the Chiefs paid him, but I don't doubt his potential one bit. He is a solid number two, but he's a really smart guy and could flourish into a better player than he was here if he is utilized properly. He is also great in the locker room, with the fans, and with the media. He will be missed here in AZ.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:41 PM
rearnakedchoke

hopefully the eagles can get some chemistry with their team and make a nice run .. new england looks good though
Old 08-08-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
You guys also picked up Steve Breaston, which is a tough loss for us Cardinals fans. I'm not sure that he is worth the money the Chiefs paid him, but I don't doubt his potential one bit. He is a solid number two, but he's a really smart guy and could flourish into a better player than he was here if he is utilized properly. He is also great in the locker room, with the fans, and with the media. He will be missed here in AZ.
Yes, I was very excited to see that. He will be an awesome addition to the Chiefs offense. You can be sure that him and Bowe will rack up big numbers this season.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Well, I wish I could say that I expect my Raiders to continue improving the way we have been over the last couple of seasons, but when it came out that we were the furthest over the salary cap at +$15 Mil, my immediate reactino was "FOR WHAT????".

Now we've lost Asomough (sp?) & Miller, 2 of our biggest producers on offense & defense, we're in trouble.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:25 AM
kevint13

I'm a Broncos fan and I think we will do ok. I think we are better than people think, but still only about an 8-8 season. Need the defense to step up big this year!

And I think it is good that they couldn't get rid of Orton, he is a better option right now. I know everyone is ready for Tebow, but Tebow isn't ready yet.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:40 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I'm a Broncos fan and I think we will do ok. I think we are better than people think, but still only about an 8-8 season. Need the defense to step up big this year!

And I think it is good that they couldn't get rid of Orton, he is a better option right now. I know everyone is ready for Tebow, but Tebow isn't ready yet.
Here's the thing about Kyle Orton...

You already know what you have with him. Everybody in Denver, Chicago, and the rest of the country knew what he was when the Cutler trade happened. Honestly, the Broncos wouldn't even have Orton if Cutler wasn't such a crybaby. Cutler is a talented QB, and the Bears made it to the NFC championship with him last year, but he needs to grow up a little in my opinion. Kinda like what we have seen with Lebron James in big situations (although James is way more talented). You said it yourself, Broncos look like an 8-8 team. What does that really say? To me it says you don't expect to be a winning team, but you don't wanna say you are a losing team either.

Tim Tebow may be a complete bust, but the fact is that he needs to be given a shot or we will never REALLY know. We can put all the fluff and hype about his character, his college game, or his mom almost aborting him behind us and just talk from the NFL perspective. The Broncos invested a first round draft-pick and a decent amount of cash into Tebow. Why not give the guy a shot and see what happens? Kyle Orton is NOT the answer, and now he is probably ticked at the Broncos front office, just like Tebow probably is, and just like Cutler was. Orton probably thought he was gonna be sipping margaritas with D-Wade and Lebron on South Beach, now he's spending more time in a place he doesn't feel he's truly wanted or respected.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:43 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Well, I wish I could say that I expect my Raiders to continue improving the way we have been over the last couple of seasons, but when it came out that we were the furthest over the salary cap at +$15 Mil, my immediate reactino was "FOR WHAT????".

Now we've lost Asomough (sp?) & Miller, 2 of our biggest producers on offense & defense, we're in trouble.
As long as Al Davis owns that team, they will probably be in trouble.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:51 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
As long as Al Davis owns that team, they will probably be in trouble.
Yeah, who you tellin'? I've been saying for years that we're not sniffing another playoff berth until somebody pries the Raiders out of the Crypt Keeper's cold dead hands...