Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-31-2012, 02:28 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Jon Jones Wanted to Move to Heavyweight With 2 Wins, UFC Said No

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is openly talking about a move up to heavyweight, but before he can do that he's going to have to convince his bosses, who aren't enthusiastic about the idea.

Jones revealed on The MMA Hour that he has already told UFC President Dana White and UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta that he would like to move up to heavyweight if he beats the top two light heavyweight contenders, Rashad Evans and Dan Henderson. But Jones said the UFC has other ideas.

"I actually asked Dana and Lorenzo, could I take a fight for the fans at the end of 2012," Jones said. "I figured beating Henderson and Rashad, there would be a period where we'd figure out who I'm going to fight next, and during that period, at the end of 2012, I asked to fight a heavyweight -- a Top 10 heavyweight."

Jones, however, said the UFC doesn't like that idea.

"Dana and Lorenzo didn't think that was the best for me to do right now," Jones said. "They wanted me to continue at the light heavyweight division. ... They said they didn't want that for me."

It's not surprising that the UFC told Jones to stay focused on his own weight class: He's still got business to attend to at 205 pounds, and the UFC has only had champions move up in weight on a handful of occasions.

Eventually, however, moving up to heavyweight may be the right move for Jones. He can still make 205 pounds comfortably, but as he moves into his mid- to late-20s, that might become more difficult. And that's when the UFC might be ready for its light heavyweight champion to make a permanent move and contend for the heavyweight title.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Hailey's Dad

I hate to see the current champ talk about moving divisions. If you're the champ, it's your responsibility to focus on defending your belt in your own division. Once he loses the belt, he should be allowed to fight in whatever division he wants.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:28 PM

I think that's Bull!@#$ !!

Who else is there for him to fight besides Rashad and Hendo?
Cause lets be serious we all know he will walk through them!
Old 02-01-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
I think that's Bull!@#$ !!

Who else is there for him to fight besides Rashad and Hendo?
Cause lets be serious we all know he will walk through them!
Tito....
Old 02-01-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I hate to see the current champ talk about moving divisions. If you're the champ, it's your responsibility to focus on defending your belt in your own division. Once he loses the belt, he should be allowed to fight in whatever division he wants.
I go back and forth with this. On the one hand I absolutely agree with you. If you are champ, then your fights should be in your division. Why should a LHW fighter have to wait to fight the champ because you chose to move up in weight and fight, or worse yet, you chose to move up and then got hurt in a fight.

On the other hand, I can see what Javier says. If Jones beats Rashad and Henderson, who is left for him? He's already beaten several past champions, Machida, Shogun, and if he beats those next two he would beat two other champs. So then who is left that is a top contender? I don't know. I guess it's like the middleweight picture, after Chael then who? Vitor? Henderson?

Edit: On my second comment I only mentioned Jones fighting ex-champs. I shouldn't really have said that because not all contenders are ex-champs obviously, but I do not know of anyone off the top of my head that's a stand out in the LHW division that would be number one contender worthy after the Rashad and Henderson fights.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

He needs to beat Evans, Hendo, then cap it all off with a victory of Silva before he can leave 205.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
He needs to beat Evans, Hendo, then cap it all off with a victory of Silva before he can leave 205.
Totally agree!

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 02-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
My sentiments exactly.

I think IF they say yes...he should do it at the same time as defending his belt, or ask him to vacate the belt...and if he gets injured or refuses to defend whilst messing at a higher weight class, take the belt away from him.

He's bearly breathed as a Champion in terms of longevity and he's ready to move on??

The Champions at the moment dont seem to understand what their role is. Their primary aim is to defend the championship and head the division as long as possible. It is NOT to have extra fights in different weight categories. It is NOT to try and force yourself into owning two titles of two different divisions at the same time without working your way up in that second division. It is NOT to think that the inistution owes you something, and to mess around in fights when you run out of calibre combatants. It is NOT to put off fights because of injury or because you cant be arsed to squash a training camp into whatever the UFC wish. It is NOT to call out your contenders, nor to avoid any placed infront of you.

Your only concern should be to defend the belt and to lead the division with integrity, to earn the clear cut rights of a rematch if you stumble, and then to move division if you fail their and try again, or work your way back up from the bottom.

Its not that you shouldnt have the aspirations mentioned above...its that you should keep publically stumm about them.

Jon Jones' only fault is his age I reckon, and because he's not got the guidence that tells him what a Champion should be. The belts pass too quickly in the higher divisions for Champions to be much more then names...the middle divisions have shown a very bad example over the last few years, and the lower divisions do not have any historical reference.

Until Honour comes back in at the top, its going to be difficult for those who are of good standing to do the job they should. We largely have BJ Penn and Georges Saint Pierre to thank for this...it was they who seemed to make Championship less about defending, and more about conquest over your neighbours division...Anderson Silva is a little like a tick in a phosphoflourescent...sometimes he's the model of a Champion...and sometimes he's as bad as Kalib Starnes...and you can never tell. Dominick Cruz doesnt quite have the Charisma yet...The Heavyweights were scrambled by a bout of phantasy pro-wrestling exhibitional nonsence. The only True Champion as of Old at present is Jose Aldo...and he's small...realllllllllly small....which not only means he's easily missed, it means few then should care about his division.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Hailey's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
We largely have BJ Penn and Georges Saint Pierre to thank for this...it was they who seemed to make Championship less about defending, and more about conquest over your neighbours division.
When did GSP go outside his division? You just hate him so much, you throw him into any argument you can. Anderson Silva is the only champ that I remember fighting in another division while he held the belt.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:33 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
When did GSP go outside his division? You just hate him so much, you throw him into any argument you can. Anderson Silva is the only champ that I remember fighting in another division while he held the belt.
Agreed.