Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-30-2012, 02:44 AM
Hughes fanboy

Default is Anderson Silva overrated?

After his win over Yushin Okami at UFC 134, there is no question where Anderson Silva lies in the middleweight division.

The victory earned Silva his 15th consecutive win and ninth consecutive title defense, both UFC records. The achievement of erasing a loss to Okami definitely left the champion and the Brazilian crowd in a sense of relief and excitement, as Okami was the last opponent to defeat Silva in 2006.

So as the support continues to grow for Silva, and the numerous claims as the greatest fighter of all-time is consistently to be brought up, it leaves some to question whether any fighter can dethrone him.

Although his legacy might remain intact following his recent win, there is still a dark cloud that hangs over Silva and his legitimacy as an elite-level competitor.

In other words, who has he really beaten to receive such high praise and reward for his accomplishments?

Sure, he has faced and beaten fighters like Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson and Forrest Griffin but he never fought elite-level competitors on a consistent basis, nor did he face those three opponents in the same year.

According to Sherdog.com, following his first win over Franklin, he fought Travis Lutter and Nate Marquardt, whose last four opponents had a combined record 70-51 and 87-35, respectively.

After he defeated Henderson, Silva would get past Patrick Cote, James Irvin and Thales Leites, who all share a combined record of 31-20. And following his win over Griffin, Silva's last three opponents carried a combined record of 85-29.

Obviously, he has fared a little better against his opponents since his win over Griffin, but these statistics would suggest that he hasn't necessarily fought the best fighters, and neither have most of his opponents.

And while his victory at UFC 134 gave him a measure of revenge, it wasn't like Okami realistically had any chance of beating him.

Silva's reign as UFC Middleweight champion will go down as one of the most impressive reigns in UFC history, statistically, but there is a little more left to be desired in terms of his resume.

Silva is unquestionably one of the greatest fighters of all time and while he deserves all the credit for his accolades and accomplishments inside the Octagon, his victories might mean a little more if it came against better competition more consistently.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...d-or-overrated

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/

Last edited by Vizion; 01-30-2012 at 02:46 AM. Reason: url
Old 01-30-2012, 03:09 AM
Hughes fanboy

I've always thought Anderson was overrated. His victories are over many guys who completely suck or are just OK. Guys who only faced him because they had no one else at the time.

Read the article. Hendo (who is also overrated) has been his greatest challenge to date aside from Chael.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 01-30-2012, 03:43 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

They said the same thing about Fedor because he wasn't fighting in the UFC, and they actually had an argument considering some of the fights that were out there for Fedor at the time that got left on the table. Still, even after losing some tough fights, people forget how hard it is to stay on top in MMA and keep winning for years and years. MMA fans and sports fans in general are so fickle and subjective that the line between "elite" and "sucks" can be as thin as a piece of paper.

This is just more nonsense trying to downplay Silva and hype up Sonnen. Notice you highlighted the combined records of Leites, Irvin, and Cote, but ignored that his last 3 opponents are 85-29.

You mention Sonnen as being the "greatest" challenge Silva has had along with Henderson (who you call overrated). Which basically says to me that you think Chael is the only guy Silva ever beat that was worth a damn, but you forget to mention how he dominated Forrest and Maia, who both beat Chael. The article is just a ridiculous take on "MMA math" with no real context, and you are just posting it to take a jab at Silva.

Silva is definitely one of the best mixed martial artists ever, possibly the best, but that will always be up for debate until the end of time just like any other "best" athlete in any sport.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:43 AM
Student of the Sport

I don't think he is overrated. 15 wins in a row, 9 consecutive title defenses...how is that overrated?

I don't understand what people want him to do. He has fought the best people available at his weight class and challenged himself at a higher weight class.

Let's also remember....Anderson (and most he has fought) have been fighting for around 10 years. Anderson has been fighting for almost 15 years. He has fought in the best organizations (Pride and UFC). To have only 4 losses overall, and 14 wins in the UFC is pretty remarkable.

It would be nice if this author told us who Anderson should have fought or should fight now which would make him worthy.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:46 AM
Student of the Sport

And you do realize the title of the article is "UFC 134 Results: Is Anderson Silva's Competition Overrated?"
Old 01-30-2012, 03:55 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I don't think he is overrated. 15 wins in a row, 9 consecutive title defenses...how is that overrated?

I don't understand what people want him to do. He has fought the best people available at his weight class and challenged himself at a higher weight class.

Let's also remember....Anderson (and most he has fought) have been fighting for around 10 years. Anderson has been fighting for almost 15 years. He has fought in the best organizations (Pride and UFC). To have only 4 losses overall, and 14 wins in the UFC is pretty remarkable.

It would be nice if this author told us who Anderson should have fought or should fight now which would make him worthy.
This all started when Silva beat Franklin, people were butt-hurt because Franklin was awesome and he is a fan favorite.

After that he was criticized for being "too cocky" and "not finishing fights", which is odd considering the current amount of love Chael Sonnen is getting in the name of "promoting a fight" because "this IS a business".

Then there is also a nationalistic part of it as well, where some people just don't like cheering for fighters from other countries. The fight game has always had that aspect, and personally, I am completely fine with that. However, it doesn't mean we should ignore what a fighter has accomplished regardless of where they are from, that's taking it to an extreme.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:12 AM

Just like Fedor was the best fighter for many years. He beat everyone they ever put in front of him and the best of the best Legends we have in the sport. The only person he didn't was Randy obviously cause they never fought but I think we can all be adults and know that he would have finished him as well.

I don't think Anderson is overrated he is like JB said probably the best MMA fighter there is and probably that has been. He has made everyone look like an amateur. Styles make fights we all know that but being healthy and Chael being off the TRT wont save him when the Wes Lynn Ganster comes Knocking!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
I've always thought Anderson was overrated. His victories are over many guys who completely suck or are just OK. Guys who only faced him because they had no one else at the time.

Read the article. Hendo (who is also overrated) has been his greatest challenge to date aside from Chael.
um where is vitor belfort on that list.....
Old 01-30-2012, 06:06 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
Just like Fedor was the best fighter for many years. He beat everyone they ever put in front of him and the best of the best Legends we have in the sport. The only person he didn't was Randy obviously cause they never fought but I think we can all be adults and know that he would have finished him as well.

I don't think Anderson is overrated he is like JB said probably the best MMA fighter there is and probably that has been. He has made everyone look like an amateur. Styles make fights we all know that but being healthy and Chael being off the TRT wont save him when the Wes Lynn Ganster comes Knocking!
American Gangster

Denzel was awesome in that movie.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:16 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
um where is vitor belfort on that list.....
Which Vitor?

Haven't the MMA masses been predicting the return of the "old Vitor" for like 7 years?

Don't get me wrong, I respect Belfort, but I didn't think he had much to offer Silva. I also don't think that takes anything away from Silva in beating him at the time that he did because you can't fault a person for winning a fight they are supposed to win. It's all about context when it comes to who fought who and when they fought them in terms of the rankings. especially with one company basically running the whole industry.