Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-19-2009, 06:53 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus
Id be careful about downloading stuff off of torrent sites now. The internet companies do monitor everything you do. My advice is get some things then hide out for awhile then come back. The longer your string of downloads the more likely you are to be considered a bandwidth hog or a pirater.

As for downloading software thats the most dangerous thing you could do. There are always 1 legit copy amongst a thousand bogus copies filled with virus and everything else to kill your system.

Photoshop is probably the worst in regards to being loaded with viruses. Music and movies not so much.
You are still much better off using Bit Torrent than you are using software like Limewire which bogs down your PC with it's own adware for it to even run. Although you are right about ISP's monitoring activity. It's not illegal to use bit torrent, it's illegal to download copyrighted material that you do not have a legal right to. The people who are getting singled out are the same people responsible for ISP's starting to put monthly limits on bandwidth.

Like anything in life, if you are a glutton about it, you are gonna run into problems.

Downloading software IS dicey, and you should really know what you are looking for. However, once you get used to looking for the red flags, finding good files is very easy.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:07 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
You are still much better off using Bit Torrent than you are using software like Limewire which bogs down your PC with it's own adware for it to even run. Although you are right about ISP's monitoring activity. It's not illegal to use bit torrent, it's illegal to download copyrighted material that you do not have a legal right to. The people who are getting singled out are the same people responsible for ISP's starting to put monthly limits on bandwidth.

Like anything in life, if you are a glutton about it, you are gonna run into problems.

Downloading software IS dicey, and you should really know what you are looking for. However, once you get used to looking for the red flags, finding good files is very easy.
LOL I didn't say anything about which is better, and yes bit torrent is the better way to do file transfers. Limewire was good back in the day along with Kazaa, that was until they started to stick 3rd party spyware on their programs.

I still find it hard to find a decent working program from time to time. Even when its from a popular uploader or the program has been downloaded a million times. Its still a bad file or one with malicious programs on it.

Which reminds me I need to locate a working Vegas Pro..
Old 03-21-2009, 04:18 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Here's a way to think of torrent vs. P2P:

Let's say you miss a UFC PPV & want to download it so you can watch it. You have two options: your one friend, Paul Prince, II (see what I did there? ), says "Hey, I've got the whole thing, here's the link. It should take you about 2hrs to download it." Your other friend, Torry (aren't I clever!!), says "Well, I've only got fights 1, 4 & 7, but Jim's got 2 & 6 and Rick's got 3 & 5. Here's the link to all of them & it should only take you about an hour since you're able to download from all of us at the same time."

Get it now?
Old 03-21-2009, 06:40 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldonado136
Well if youre like me then you have suffered many headaches because of a crappy computer. So this is a thread where you can talk about the best free programs to improve the way your computer runs. One that comes to mind right away is mozilla firefox. Most of you guys probably already have this but if you dont it's probably the best internet browser you can have. Another great program to have is CCleaner. It cleans up all the junk files in your pc and can greatly improve its performance. The last time I used it it cleared around 800 MB of space and my computer is a lot faster because of it. So if anyone wants to add programs that they think are awesome then feel free. Ill put the links to CCleaner and Firefox below.

http://www.ccleaner.com

http://www.firefox.com

Well done, CC cleaner is GREAT, esp for wiping over empty hard drive space.
Firefox is also a must.