Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
1) Oops, you just contradicted yourself, Tyburn. Besides, companies are made up of people. They aren't robots or dollar figures. People here have a real voice in government particularly when we are well-organized in contacting our representatives. I have seen legislation affected in this manner - by voters - time after time.

2) I wouldn't be so sure. Several events have made me realize that we could indeed have a class or race rebellion. Obama has been somewhat successfully igniting passions towards both for 3 years.

3) Now there's something with which we can agree! This is why the Tea Party got such momentum and won some important mid-term elections.

4) I disagree with you about partisanship. That has been around since the time of our Forefathers! Nothing much has changed. I wish that there wasn't so much animosity in partisanship but there is; I'm just as guilty of it as anyone on the other side (most times). I'm not sure if you follow our polls but there are actually more moderates (or so-called independents) than conservatives or liberals.

5) Apathy is more to blame for our current huge central government problems, IMO - but once the sleeping giant is awakened - watch out. One of the reasons so many people like Ron Paul is because he is a constructionist. Ditto the Tea Pary.

6) I can only speak for myself but I care very deeply about the state of my birth.

7) I'm not offended, it's interesting reading a foreigner's take on our exceptional country.
1) I think they are all dollar figures...but I get your point

2) You think there could be the sort of rebellion that would lead to civil war in the United States Its not that I dont think they consider it. Its because at the end of the day I just dont think they ever would UNLESS the Federal Government started murdering people.

3)

4) Not really. The only real input on actual observations of Americans comes from this forum Here there is always great tension. Liberals are to blame for every ill, and Republicans are next to Godliness

5) Maybe, but I wonder how many Americans understand about what the relationship and design of the State/Federal Governments are. Do they realize that your forefathers actually envisioned a much more Eurocentric method of running. Where each State was individual and culpable, and the Federal Union could only dictate on Transport and one or two other things with were continent wide. Is it possible, that like myself, before someone explained the consitution to me, they actually dont know, and thus why would they realize that the founders never envisioned a Washington Led Initiative for Government WITHIN inidividual states? I didnt know that, and neither did anyone i've spoken to about it.

6) GOOD! I think that all Americans should have STATE Pride, because in a Devolved sense, to be American is to be of duel nationality. You are American because of the Union. But you are also of a specific State Government.

7) Well..some people have been really upset by what ive said, or my thoughts on the United States before. I've even been in trouble on here for anti-american views before now. I am also aware that Americans consider themselves very much independant and dont really care for advice or help or criticisms, especially not from Europe, and especially not from England. I also acknowledge that for a lot of Americans the base line ends up being "you're not American, so what would you know"

I dont appologise for my views, and I do not consider them anti-american at all. BUT I dont want to appear mean, or make people upset. Thats not very nice. So when I say something with views, that I feel might be slightly odd or brave coming from a non-american...I often just add a disclaimer saying that these are just my views and I hope noone is so upset by them they want me to go and never come back, or are going to shout at me
Old 01-21-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
3)

Quote:

4) Not really. The only real input on actual observations of Americans comes from this forum Here there is always great tension. Liberals are to blame for every ill, and Republicans are next to Godliness
Well, as much as I love this forum, it isn't representative of the whole country, much as I wish it was. For a taste of the other side you'd have to visit the Huffington Post, Daily Kos, Democatic Underground or some such. I won't link to them. But like you said, liberals are to blame for every ill and Republicans are next to Godliness, true!

Quote:

5) Maybe, but I wonder how many Americans understand about what the relationship and design of the State/Federal Governments are. Do they realize that your forefathers actually envisioned a much more Eurocentric method of running. Where each State was individual and culpable, and the Federal Union could only dictate on Transport and one or two other things with were continent wide. Is it possible, that like myself, before someone explained the consitution to me, they actually dont know, and thus why would they realize that the founders never envisioned a Washington Led Initiative for Government WITHIN inidividual states? I didnt know that, and neither did anyone i've spoken to about it.
This is just my own opinion but far too many Americans are ill-informed about government and our constitution - or just don't care. Not that I know all that much, I'm still learning. Nate and Chris F know far more than I do (and several others here, I'm sure). But the average America hasn't fought in a war or gone through a depression. So they are comfortable. They don't know how dear our constitution is to our survival as a great and unique country. Now that our economy is teetering, I think more people are aware of how bloated our federal government has gotten and are starting to make some noise about changing the status quo in Washington DC of endless spending and bureaucracy. People are taking more notice of activist judges subverting the role of the legislature. The tide is turning (at least, I hope so).

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I like talking with you Flo
Old 01-21-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I like talking with you Flo
Ditto, Tyburn. You have so many interests and I especially enjoy your travelogues (I'm more an armchair traveler).

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16