Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 01-20-2012, 01:26 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default "Anonymous" hacker group takes down U.S. DOJ & other sites in protest of SOPA

Haha, suck it Congress!

Go Anonymous!!!!

Next up - FBI.gov. You can be pretty sure if the government passes SOPA and/or PIPA, they will release the true identities of people in secret government agencies. The government will not win this, power to the people!

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...n-retaliation/

Quote:
'Anonymous' hackers claim to take down Justice Department website in retaliation for Megaupload shutdown

Published January 19, 2012
WASHINGTON Hackers aligned with the global cyber-collective known as Anonymous have claimed responsibility for taking down at least six prominent websites, including those of the US Department of Justice and Universal Music Group, in retaliation for charges levied earlier Thursday against content-sharing site Megaupload.com.

Both Universalmusic.com and Justice.gov crashed Thursday afternoon and remained down as of 6:50pm ET.

The group also said it brought down the websites of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), the US Copyright Office and the Utah Chiefs of Police Association.

As of 6:50pm ET, only the MPAA website remained functional. The RIAA site and the Copyright Office sites were both down, while the Utah Chiefs of Police site had been altered to show the logo for Megaupload.com.

The group also threatened that the FBI's website would be hacked next.
"Word has it that FBI.gov is next to go down... will report when it is," a Twitter account affiliated with the group said.

The account, under the name @YourAnonNews identifies itself on Twitter as the infamous hacker collective, saying "We are Anonymous, We are legion, We never forgive, We never forget, Expect us."

Earlier Thursday, the FBI shut down Megaupload.com and charged the site's founders and five others with internet piracy crimes for running "an international organized criminal enterprise."

"The government takes down Megaupload? 15 minutes later Anonymous takes down government & record label sites," the group wrote earlier Thursday.

"Megaupload was taken down w/out SOPA being law. Now imagine what will happen if it passes. The Internet as we know it will end. FIGHT BACK," the group added, in a reference to the ongoing battle in Congress over the controversial Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA).

The proposed legislation would crack down on the online sharing of pirated copies of music, movies and other material.

Investigators said there was no connection between arrests in their two-year investigation of Megaupload.com and the political firestorm that erupted this week over the pending vote on SOPA, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...#ixzz1jxfNqkrr
Old 01-20-2012, 03:19 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Haha, suck it Congress!

Go Anonymous!!!!

Next up - FBI.gov. You can be pretty sure if the government passes SOPA and/or PIPA, they will release the true identities of people in secret government agencies. The government will not win this, power to the people!

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...n-retaliation/
That is going way too far, IMO & borders on terrorism. Anonymous is holding the lives of service men & women as hostages & demanding that Congress obey them. The deaths of these agents will do nothing to resolve the situation or punish Congress for their stupidity.

Crash websites if you want, that's cool by me, but putting real lives on the line is uncalled for.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 AM
Conrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
That is going way too far, IMO & borders on terrorism. Anonymous is holding the lives of service men & women as hostages & demanding that Congress obey them. The deaths of these agents will do nothing to resolve the situation or punish Congress for their stupidity.

Crash websites if you want, that's cool by me, but putting real lives on the line is uncalled for.
Sometimes, but not necessarily. It depends on which server gets hit.

Anonymous is interesting. A person can act alone. A group of people can act in concert. The two parties may never meet each other and may never know of nor agree with each other.

Cops are so dull on this concept that one young woman locally was almost charged (in addition to proper charges) with the actions of strangers.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:15 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:

I agree, but it wouldn't be the first time they have at least threatened secret organizations with the same message.

The government is going to lose this war.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Conrad

Quote:
I agree, but it wouldn't be the first time they have at least threatened secret organizations with the same message.

The government is going to lose this war.
Maybe, maybe not at first glance.
The roots of the internet (not history, but technical and logistical), in terms of nodes, are in university and government facilities, with the remainder in telecom companies. There's just enough in telecom corporations that we may be able to continue on, despite government intervention at the universities and other (e.g. defense) facilities. Some nodes are outside that immediate reach, in telecom.

BUT!

One of the new things is going with a non-ISP, ad-hoc backbone. If the government regulates hard enough, the linux guys will be ready to help us all convert to wide-area, house-to-house, wireless networking, no corporations involved...for a price. (I haven't read up on it enough at work, thus the sketchy description. Sorry.)

Last edited by Conrad; 01-20-2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:43 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Maybe, maybe not at first glance.
The roots of the internet (not history, but technical and logistical), in terms of nodes, are in university and government facilities, with the remainder in telecom companies. There's just enough in telecom corporations that we may be able to continue on, despite government intervention at the universities and other (e.g. defense) facilities. Some nodes are outside that immediate reach, in telecom.

BUT!

One of the new things is going with a non-ISP, ad-hoc backbone. If the government regulates hard enough, the linux guys will be ready to help us all convert to wide-area, house-to-house, wireless networking, no corporations involved...for a price. (I haven't read up on it enough at work, thus the sketchy description. Sorry.)
Haha, no worries, I already had that idea in mind, but I'm sure somebody else would be working on it. One way or another, if it's direct or a workaround, the users are going to have the power in this, not the government.

Oh cool, 5,000th post!

Last edited by rockdawg21; 01-20-2012 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Found out this was my 5,000th post ;)
Old 01-20-2012, 11:18 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Haha, no worries, I already had that idea in mind, but I'm sure somebody else would be working on it. One way or another, if it's direct or a workaround, the users are going to have the power in this, not the government.

Oh cool, 5,000th post!
Congrats on 5k, bro!
Old 01-20-2012, 03:51 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Congrats on 5k, bro!
Thanks, halfway to your post record, haha!