Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Chris F

Make a inflatable sumo suit mandatory so there is no injury
Old 01-16-2012, 12:20 AM
kevint13

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
Then check the kick if you don't want it to get messed up...You can really screw up a knee with a routine outside leg kick too if they guy has it planted and doesn't check the kick....You can also seriously hurt someone by punching them in the head...It's a combat sport and there are going to be injuries...There is nothing dirty about a teep kick to the legs. The rules are fine how they are

No groin shots for obvious reasons
NO eye pokes for obvious reasons
No hits to the back of the head because the brain stem is there and can cause more serious damage.

But by taking out some forms of leg kicks(which can be defended as easily as taking your weight of the leg) it waters down the sport
I am just stating, similar to Jonlion, as a sportsman I think that kicking at the front of the knees is a dirty move. Just because it is legal doesn't mean it is not dirty.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I am just stating, similar to Jonlion, as a sportsman I think that kicking at the front of the knees is a dirty move. Just because it is legal doesn't mean it is not dirty.
How is it dirty though? It's a common kick in muay thai and it's not like it has an extensive list of guys getting hurt over it...Silva has used that kick in the past too, it's mainly used to keep the opponent on the outside of your range...I consider dirty moves something that is either illegal or something that has a high likelihood of severe injury...The teep to the knee might look really dangerous to you, but name me one case where a guy blew his knee out from it? It's not thrown with anywhere near as much force as an outside leg kick(which can damage the MCL and possible the ACL, as well as the medial joint capsule and muscle tissue)
Old 01-16-2012, 02:13 AM
kevint13

Quote:
How is it dirty though? It's a common kick in muay thai and it's not like it has an extensive list of guys getting hurt over it...Silva has used that kick in the past too, it's mainly used to keep the opponent on the outside of your range...I consider dirty moves something that is either illegal or something that has a high likelihood of severe injury...The teep to the knee might look really dangerous to you, but name me one case where a guy blew his knee out from it? It's not thrown with anywhere near as much force as an outside leg kick(which can damage the MCL and possible the ACL, as well as the medial joint capsule and muscle tissue)
As a martial artist, I should be in control of what I am doing. As a competitor or sportsman in martial arts, I should strive to win without trying to seriously injure my opponent. A side or front kick to the front of the knee to me is a deliberate strike to injure an opponent.

The unified rules of MMA allow this, but apparently it must have been on their minds at one point as well:

Quote:
Linear Knee Strikes

After a discussion prompted by the Silva-Leites bout, the Committee reviewed the issue of linear strikes to the knee joint and agreed that this technique should remain a legal technique.
And the unified rules of muay thai:

Quote:
3. Direct Attacks to the Knee- it is considered unsporting in Thai to side kick an opponent to the front of the knee
Old 01-16-2012, 02:15 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
As a martial artist, I should be in control of what I am doing. As a competitor or sportsman in martial arts, I should strive to win without trying to seriously injure my opponent. A side or front kick to the front of the knee to me is a deliberate strike to injure an opponent.

The unified rules of MMA allow this, but apparently it must have been on their minds at one point as well:

And the unified rules of muay thai:
Side kick, yes, it produces more force than a teep kick...I see where you are coming from, but I don't see it being any more dangerous than an outside leg kick to the lateral area of the knee
Old 01-16-2012, 02:19 AM
kevint13

Quote:
Side kick, yes, it produces more force than a teep kick...I see where you are coming from, but I don't see it being any more dangerous than an outside leg kick to the lateral area of the knee
I guess to me, a knee has some give to the sides (not lots, but some). To the front, there is no give.

It may not be as dangerous and we will never know why more people don't use it.

I don't want to sabotage this thread anymore as we are getting away from the real topic (I know, I started the derailing )
Old 01-16-2012, 02:53 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
I guess to me, a knee has some give to the sides (not lots, but some). To the front, there is no give.

It may not be as dangerous and we will never know why more people don't use it.

I don't want to sabotage this thread anymore as we are getting away from the real topic (I know, I started the derailing )
You're right, it does..but that twisting action you see from solid outside leg kicks is actually a more common mechanism of injury for ACL, MCL, and meniscus injuries...I do see where you are coming from, but until I see it actually hurting guys in a fight, I wouldn't go as far as to say it is dirty...If it happens, and ends a fight because of a knee injury, then the next time I saw it performed, I'd agree with you...But until then, I don't see a problem with it.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:34 AM
suntereo

Quote:
Yeah the only notable grappler he fought was Jeremy Horn and won by UD...A fight with Maia would be interesting
He claimed the Fury Fighting Championship middleweight title in December 2007 after defeating Flavio Mura, Pan-Am Jiu-Jitsu champion Fabio Negao"

"Palhares took 2nd place in the under 88kg 2011 ADCC, finishing his first three opponents quickly by heel hook, before losing to established World Champion Andre Galvao in the final, by points."

he also beat lucio linhares who is a 2nd degree bjj blkblt

Flavio Luiz Moura a gracie fusion blkblt

7 of his last 10 mma victories have been by kneebar or heelhook and he has seriously hurt 3 people in this time = monster

and yeah i'm a fan, but kinda like when i was a kid i was a fan of freddie kruger
Old 01-16-2012, 05:42 AM
suntereo

to directly answer the quenstion in the thread topic, is he a jerk?
He seems to be nice enough but a good case can be made that he is "simple" in the smarts department. He seems to simplify it to the point of a heel hook or knee bar is meant to end fights by destroying joints, i am very good at it so you have a very small window to tap before your knee explodes. Jerk? maybe? very very very good at using a technique for it's designed purpose? yep
Old 01-16-2012, 08:07 AM

I admire the outlook of Demian Maia regarding injuring opponents. It's about the 2:30 mark where he talks about it. I think that is admirable.

Of course, I was really happy when Cain pounded Lesnar and Dan KO'd Bisping.

There are only a few guys I really don't care for in the UFC but I don't want to see them seriously hurt. I thought it was awful that Nog didn't tap a couple weeks ago. I think it's a fine line for a fighter to walk between doing damage to win a fight and seriously injuring another fighter.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16