Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-15-2012, 09:01 PM

Default Anyone think Rousimar Palhares is a jerk

From what I can see you have this supremely talanted man who can slap a leg lock on like I make a cup of tea.

Now I am not an expert but in my experiance and seemingly with other fighters you secure a sub and once it is in you crank up until the finish. Most sensibly tap but if not then there is enough warning and then the guy has a broken arm, knee or goes to sleep. Fair play.

This guy just literally goes straight to kill and busts the knee before one has time to assess this deep and therefore tap.

I don't think it sporting or very nice and to be honest I would understand any fighter ducking him. We can recover from a KO but busted ACL is a lifetime of potential pain.

Frankly it irritates me that Joe Rogan was purring over him and the finish. I am not a fan and would like to see how he feels if someone throws a few extra digs whilst he is out cold.

And lets be clear Frank Mir V Nog was different, Nog waited and waited and tried to fight. No one likes to see it but you can understand it.

I would like to see Palhares called out for this unsporting behaviour
Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Hughes fanboy

what weight class is he in? what's his record?

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 01-15-2012, 09:39 PM
matthughesfan21

I had a problem with Palhares getting to crank after the tap against Drwal...But what was the issue last night? He let go when he tapped, did he crank hard? Yes, but it's a fight not training, he's not there to babysit the guys, he's there to win

and LOL at you getting butthurt by Rogan, it was a slick submission and Joe liked it..Because he liked the setup, you want to see him get punched unconscious?
Old 01-15-2012, 09:40 PM

Middleweight and Rousimar Palhares
Rousimar Palhares
"Toquinho"

23-3-0
( W-L-D )

5' 8"
( 172 cm )

185 lbs
( 84 kg )

Very dangerous guy, Hendo fought a very tense fight against him few years ago, beat him standing but didnt even go near him on the ground
Old 01-15-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
I had a problem with Palhares getting to crank after the tap against Drwal...But what was the issue last night? He let go when he tapped, did he crank hard? Yes, but it's a fight not training, he's not there to babysit the guys, he's there to win

and LOL at you getting butthurt by Rogan, it was a slick submission and Joe liked it..Because he liked the setup, you want to see him get punched unconscious?
NO,

I am saying that as fellow sportman you would want to avoid breaking peoples bones. Tearing an ACL could put you out of work for a considerable period, that's a livelihood your playing with. Out of respect to my fellow atheletes, you should crank it up and not go all out on the pull just to make sure you win and break bones.

On most subs people slap on they go hard and to win but they mostly secure it and then crank it up for the finish. Palhares just goes straight for it. I think its lame and I don't like it.

I don't want to see Joe punched, I just wonder how Palhares would like someone to keep throwing blows when he is quite clearly finished. I.e Hendo v Bisping.

I am not getting butt hurt (what a childish comment), I just found Joe's lavish praise for the sub a little bitter and I think someone should mention that Palhares has a reputation for hitting it hard. I think its lame
Old 01-15-2012, 09:57 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post
NO,

I am saying that as fellow sportman you would want to avoid breaking peoples bones. Tearing an ACL could put you out of work for a considerable period, that's a livelihood your playing with. Out of respect to my fellow atheletes, you should crank it up and not go all out on the pull just to make sure you win and break bones.

On most subs people slap on they go hard and to win but they mostly secure it and then crank it up for the finish. Palhares just goes straight for it. I think its lame and I don't like it.

I don't want to see Joe punched, I just wonder how Palhares would like someone to keep throwing blows when he is quite clearly finished. I.e Hendo v Bisping.

I am not getting butt hurt (what a childish comment), I just found Joe's lavish praise for the sub a little bitter and I think someone should mention that Palhares has a reputation for hitting it hard. I think its lame
I thought you were saying you wanted Joe to get hit while outcold because it came right after you mentioned Rogan, my bad....Palhares does have a history, no question about it...But last night wasn't that bad, the guy walked out of the cage, so there was no serious injury
Old 01-15-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
I thought you were saying you wanted Joe to get hit while outcold because it came right after you mentioned Rogan, my bad....Palhares does have a history, no question about it...But last night wasn't that bad, the guy walked out of the cage, so there was no serious injury
Fair enough, glad here the guy was alright. And I was impressed (as Rogan was) with how he managed to end that. Extremely frightening guy to fight. Would like to see how other top notch grapplers stack up against him.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:21 PM
matthughesfan21

Yeah the only notable grappler he fought was Jeremy Horn and won by UD...A fight with Maia would be interesting
Old 01-15-2012, 10:44 PM
kevint13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post

This guy just literally goes straight to kill and busts the knee before one has time to assess this deep and therefore tap.

I don't think it sporting or very nice and to be honest I would understand any fighter ducking him. We can recover from a KO but busted ACL is a lifetime of potential pain.

I would like to see Palhares called out for this unsporting behaviour
I have the same issue with kicks to the front of the knees. Sooner or later someone is going to have their feet planted just right and a kick is going to destroy their knee.

Reason I bring this up is that I think this is a dirty move. And Jon Jones uses it more than anyone. I don't think Jones is a jerk for doing it, but I am sure he is aware of the damage that can occur.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:55 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I have the same issue with kicks to the front of the knees. Sooner or later someone is going to have their feet planted just right and a kick is going to destroy their knee.

Reason I bring this up is that I think this is a dirty move. And Jon Jones uses it more than anyone. I don't think Jones is a jerk for doing it, but I am sure he is aware of the damage that can occur.
Then check the kick if you don't want it to get messed up...You can really screw up a knee with a routine outside leg kick too if they guy has it planted and doesn't check the kick....You can also seriously hurt someone by punching them in the head...It's a combat sport and there are going to be injuries...There is nothing dirty about a teep kick to the legs. The rules are fine how they are

No groin shots for obvious reasons
NO eye pokes for obvious reasons
No hits to the back of the head because the brain stem is there and can cause more serious damage.

But by taking out some forms of leg kicks(which can be defended as easily as taking your weight of the leg) it waters down the sport